PDA

View Full Version : Where do engine codes show up?

laguner
12-12-2005, 06:02 PM
I have the Bentley manual and it tells me the codes but where are they supposed to appear? I have a 1990 535i and when I press the accelerator 5 times I don't see codes on the dash. Do they show up on the on-board computer? The bulbs are out on mine.

Scott H
12-12-2005, 06:08 PM
watch the check engine light

I have the Bentley manual and it tells me the codes but where are they supposed to appear? I have a 1990 535i and when I press the accelerator 5 times I don't see codes on the dash. Do they show up on the on-board computer? The bulbs are out on mine.

Dave M
12-12-2005, 06:09 PM
Checked your profile to see whether you were from the US. I wondered the same thing until I found out that Canadian models (as well as others) may not be equipped with this very useful function.

And no, the codes should not display on the OBC, they should appear on the dash, but what do I know, I've never seen them :)

If you have a US model, go fish........ someone will help.

Good Luck,

Dave M

laguner
12-12-2005, 06:25 PM
I have a check engine light but I'm not seeing any codes. If there are none, does that mean it doesn't have any or there is just a problem? Are the codes numbers or a series of light flashes? My car was built in December of 1989.

shogun
12-12-2005, 07:12 PM
Is your car US specification?
If yes, it has CEL.
If not U.S. spec., then you do not have a CEL (maybe some cars in Canada have it), although the cluster has the bulb insert there, but usually in non-US-spec cars there is no bulb inside. And it does not help you just to insert a bulb.

632 Regal
12-12-2005, 09:48 PM
look up the "stomp test" you turn the key to the on position and smash the peddle to the floor 5 times really fast (within 5 seconds) then the check engine light should flash if you have this option. its a sequence of flashes.

bill g
12-13-2005, 12:37 AM
First thing - find out if you have a good bulb in the check engine light socket. Try transferring one of correct wattage from another socket in the instrument cluster. If it flashes continuously when you turn ignition on you will probably be able to do the stomp test - I found this to be the case in my Australian delivered 535i.
Problem is the bulb will continue to flash whenever the ignition is on. If so one answer is to remove the bulb and connect some insulated wires to the socket and have them hang down under dash so you can connect the bulb whenever you want to do a stomp test.

Bill G

laguner
12-13-2005, 05:45 AM
I know about the stomp test. My check engine light lights up but no codes show. Do the codes appear in the check engine light picture? If you have no codes, do any codes appear? I'm not currently getting a check engine light but can see it at start up.

permit
12-14-2005, 12:08 AM
Your check engine light isn't on, and you're wondering why it isn't putting out codes? All the lights turn on at startup, and then go away once the car actually starts up. Check light only means something if your car is running! Then you turn the car off, turn it to 'on', mash the pedal 5 times, and then the check engine light will flash a certain amount of times and you look at the Bentley manual to see what your code means.

romus
12-14-2005, 04:01 PM
That's pain in the ass, Bill. Mine doesnt do that. It does come on during driving occasionally, but that's about it.

rob101
12-14-2005, 08:57 PM
http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Trouble/Engine_codes.htm
If you look down in the lower part of the page under the heading "Older E34 bulb wiring"

It says the the 88 and 89 e34s had the stomp test but no bulb in the socket, as it would flash constantly, however if you did put a bulb in, the stomp test will still display codes. This maybe the source of zee problem ja.

Traian
12-14-2005, 11:04 PM
My car shows no codes either. First I thought it was maybe OBDII since it's a 95, but reading this makes me think it is because it's Canadian spec. Will a Peake tool still work?

laguner
12-15-2005, 04:54 AM
OK, so if the check engine light is not on I'll not get any codes at all? I only see the check engine light when I turn the key on and not after, so I shouldn't see any codes if the light is not on, right?

permit
12-15-2005, 11:32 AM
OK, so if the check engine light is not on I'll not get any codes at all? I only see the check engine light when I turn the key on and not after, so I shouldn't see any codes if the light is not on, right?

You will only get codes if the check engine light is on while the car is actually running. Its supposed to be on when you turn the key.