PDA

View Full Version : 750il Transmission Valve Body

jmhuot
12-07-2005, 08:39 AM
I needed to do a fluid and filter change on my 88 750 with the ZF4HP24 transmission. I then decided to drop the valve bodies since some of the valves were sticking. The smaller, rear valve body, we disassembled and cleaned, but had a problem with reassembly. There is a small clip that fits against one of the valves, but I'm not sure which one. I have searched and searched, but can't seem to find a breakdown of the valve body so I can see where the clip belongs. I have located breakdowns of the clutches and gears, but nothing for the valve bodies. I was wondering if anyone had a breakdown so I can get the car back together and on the road again. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

shogun
12-09-2005, 01:09 AM
On my website below there is the instruction for valve body rebuild in detail.
But it is for the 5 HP30 trans.
Maybe it helps a bit.
Another possibility is that you do a search for Kirt Koeller, he knows a lot about our cars transmissions.
Use the search above. There should be a phone number mentioned somewhere in a posting.

jmhuot
01-05-2006, 09:55 AM
I conacted Kirt Koeller and he was able to tell me where and which way the clip went back in. He also faxed me a breakdown of the valve body. I plan on getting the transmission back together real soon and having the car back on the road. Kirt suspects there is damage since the forward clutch pack probably wore and heated up. He said that heat is transferred directly in to the reverse pack since it is right next to the forward clutches. This causes the o-rings in the reverse to harden, not seal, and leak. Thus, reverse will not engage since there is not enough pressure. He assures me to repair the problem is not costly, just time intensive, since the transmission will have to removed and disassembled. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress. Also, Kirt is an extremely nice person who is an expert with the ZF transmissions and a distributor for them. We spent about 30 minutes talking and he is more than willing to help people out and would not accept any money for his time. (Thanks Kirt!) He can be contacted at Autoports Unlimited, 1-800-624-3876 EXT. 5735 or call him directly at 616-748-5735 ( He will answer at this number) Check out the website at www.autosportsunlimited.com

shogun
01-05-2006, 10:52 AM
kepp us updated in detail. If you could make a write up like the one I have on my website for the 5HP30 for this transmission type, that would be wonderful and helpful for everybody. The one on my website was also done with the help of Kirt.
Can you do me a big favour and send me by email or by fax the breakdown of the valve body you got from Kirt. I am highly interested in that and will also make it available for everybody.
I will send you my email adress and fax number now to your private message box on top right.
Thanks a lot.

roywetzel
03-20-2006, 01:33 PM
If you are still looking, try the ZF website. I found a complete .pdf for my 740 trans (different than yours).

I needed to do a fluid and filter change on my 88 750 with the ZF4HP24 transmission. I then decided to drop the valve bodies since some of the valves were sticking. The smaller, rear valve body, we disassembled and cleaned, but had a problem with reassembly. There is a small clip that fits against one of the valves, but I'm not sure which one. I have searched and searched, but can't seem to find a breakdown of the valve body so I can see where the clip belongs. I have located breakdowns of the clutches and gears, but nothing for the valve bodies. I was wondering if anyone had a breakdown so I can get the car back together and on the road again. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

jmhuot
03-22-2006, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the help, but I recently replaced the transmission. I was able to get the valve body cleaned up and put back in, but it only made things worse and did not restore reverse. The site may come in handy sometime in the future though. Thanks again!

jackyshaikh
05-12-2006, 10:45 AM
Hi,
guys if still have zf factory info about valvebody or complete gearbox operation and description,could you please send it throug e-mail.thanks!