PDA

View Full Version : Hit a curb :( not too hard tho

AllGo'n'Show
12-04-2005, 08:56 PM
Hey all so I don't know ifyou guys know Calgary whether but yah, ****ty snow, which turns to ice on impact and stays that way for 6 months .

Anyways I was turning to pick someone up yesterday, tires got loose and started to slide, did as much as I could to slow the car down but wasn't enough to stop it and regain traction.

My driver side wheel looks like is pushed a little further back then the left side and sounds like its rubbing on left hand turns now, haven't had a chance to do a riht turn and see if its rubbing too. I will check this afternoon if it is actrually rubbing as last nigth I couldn't see anything.

The car still tracks straight and the tire still looks straight on all angles, just back a little.

What most likely did I bend? Or am I looking at more problems then just a couple of suspension replacement parts?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E32-10-Piece-Control-Arm-Kit-735-740-750_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33583QQitemZ8019738 178QQrdZ1

Is the suspension kit I was looking at getting before, now it seems like a feasible idea. Most likely from what I describe will instlaling this and throwing it on an alignment rack fix my problems?

shogun
12-04-2005, 09:24 PM
That is all wild speculation without seeing the damage.
Before you buy anything, drive to a shop to take detailed measurements so that you know what is bended and what has to be changed.

jmhuot
12-07-2005, 08:48 AM
You're not alone, I have done this, but not with a BMW. I had the car put on a chassis machine, which solved the problem. I think the cost was around $150 to $200. If you bent the suspension, then replacing the lower control arm and possibly a tie rod end would probably fix it. If you can, get it on a lift and look very closely. I bumped a curb with a 280z once and, although the damage did not look bad, it was more serious than I thought. The inner fender well had a hidden buckle, that could not bee seen until I took the wheel off. Compare both sides and look for hidden bends and buckles. Measure distances and clearances on the passenger's side, since it would be true, then compare them with the driver's side. Hopefully, you can repair the damage by just replacing some of the suspension parts.

AllGo'n'Show
12-07-2005, 09:20 AM
Yah thats what I'm hoping.

Hopefully will have it on the lift today and check it out.

pyro
12-07-2005, 07:37 PM
i slamed my 88 735i into a curb at ~25mph and it pushed the front right tire against the fender... new uper and lower controll arms did the job

AllGo'n'Show
12-07-2005, 10:06 PM
yah I'm thinking thats whats up, I got this bad vibration now so I guess I better find some money and get it all fixed up.

AllGo'n'Show
12-08-2005, 04:48 PM
Well rim was bent, coudlnt see it in the dark and with all the dirt on so i threw the fullsize spare on, no more vibration.

Looks to be slightly bent from the lower control arm and the thrust arm slightly bent. Although its not rubbing and the vibration has gone away so that buy sme a little more time as Im money tight rigt now