PDA

View Full Version : 92 e32 - Overheating questions.

jassing
11-27-2005, 04:29 PM
Greetings all. Here's the scoop, shortened version....

Had a bunch of work done, new 80 degree thermostat put in.
Some air was left in teh system, car overheated at idle; and then while driving. Re-bled the system, then finally pulled the thermostat out & installed it the other way & re-bled the system again. Seems to be OK now -- but time will tell.

Questions:

1) Can the thermostat being in the wrong way cause it not to open correctly? (I boiled it to verify when it opens...)
1A) Could I have just coincedentally purged the system of all the air by pulling it & re-filling it?

2) While working on it -- and letting it overheat, I noticed that the aux fan didn't click on as the manual suggested it should. I hear this is a common problem -- is it?

3) Why do I love this car so much?

4) how can I tell if the fan-clutch is working properly? It's a fluid-type clutch not a heat-expanding clutch, right? It spins & definately pushes some air....

Thanks!
-josh

shogun
11-27-2005, 08:34 PM
First question: which engine type are we talking about?

1. It can be installed the wrong way, yes. Apparently you experienced that.
1A. I do not think so, because air near the heater valves will not come to the t-stat area without engine running.
Did you switch the heater on so that on both sides the coolant could circulate?
2. Aux fan should come on. Check it. Could be the relay. Pull the aux fan plug and bridge it, it should then run on low and high speed depending on the bridging. I had that some weeks ago, only low speed was running. In this case the relay did not switch to high. See Bentley for checking that out.
Also go to my website and then the link to Gale, there is something about faults with aux fans.

3. You answered it already, you need something to work on and be the happiest man in the world when it works what you tried to repair. ;-)

4. This is the ultimate testing method
http://www.mwrench.com/Whitepapers/FanClutchtest.pdf

shogun
11-27-2005, 08:37 PM
PS: pls ALWAYS indicate engine and production year, that is importatnt.
For example in your problem case: a 750 is different in bleeding than a straight 6 engine or a V8.
To make it easier, just go on top to USER CP and add the data in your profile, so that it always automatically appears with your postings.

jassing
11-27-2005, 08:51 PM
First question: which engine type are we talking about?

Sorry -- M30 -- 6 cyl.

1. It can be installed the wrong way, yes. Apparently you experienced that.

That's great news! that was cheap fix.

1A. I do not think so, because air near the heater valves will not come to the t-stat area without engine running.

OK -- it appears to be well bled now; I have not gotten it to overheat, or any more air out the bleed valve.

Did you switch the heater on so that on both sides the coolant could circulate?

Yes! It was chilly out and I needed all the help I could get. <g>

2. Aux fan should come on. Check it. Could be the relay. Pull the aux fan plug and bridge it, it should then run on low and high speed depending on the bridging. I had that some weeks ago, only low speed was running. In this case the relay did not switch to high. See Bentley for checking that out.

I read the manual; I wish it talked abou the ohms the sensors should be at during "cold" "normal" and "hot" so I could test them. But I guess if the relay test shows that the fan is working; then it's the relay *OR* the senders/sensors; but not the fan itself.

Also go to my website and then the link to Gale, there is something about faults with aux fans.

Thanks.

3. You answered it already, you need something to work on and be the happiest man in the world when it works what you tried to repair. ;-)

yea; it was not a serious question.. I love the ride, I love trying to save the leather that the PO used silicon based garbage on them... I'm not sureI could ever back to a car less than this one.. I'm definately hooked on big luxury cars.

4. This is the ultimate testing method
http://www.mwrench.com/Whitepapers/FanClutchtest.pdf

NICE! Thanks!

-josh

ps: Thanks & sorry about the tip on the engine/user data.