PDA

View Full Version : Long live E34's!!

mzarifkar
11-17-2005, 10:32 PM
I walk up to my car the other day, it had been snowing and freezing quite a bit. my car was covered in about half an inch of snow/ice. My key went into the doorlock about 5mm's.... YES, i can finally test the doorlock heaters!! and yes, by lifting the handle, 30seconds later i was in my car with the biggest grin on my face. The rest of the day i told everyone about it who could hear.

You just dont see this kind of ingenouity(SP) anymore

Incantation
11-17-2005, 11:46 PM
haha.. i never knew that was a feature

uscharalph
11-17-2005, 11:48 PM
I walk up to my car the other day, it had been snowing and freezing quite a bit. my car was covered in about half an inch of snow/ice. My key went into the doorlock about 5mm's.... YES, i can finally test the doorlock heaters!! and yes, by lifting the handle, 30seconds later i was in my car with the biggest grin on my face. The rest of the day i told everyone about it who could hear.

You just dont see this kind of ingenouity(SP) anymore
We don't get to test that feature much around here. It's good to know it's there though. LOL!!

liquidtiger720
11-18-2005, 12:39 AM
so, you lift the handle, and it heats up the lock?

Alexlind123
11-18-2005, 01:30 AM
Did you know that the windshield washer jets are heated as well as the side mirrors? The other morning i tried out my washer jets on a frozen morning...they were heated alright, steam came from the streams of water. Mine wont shut off, however which is a slight problem. Any time i want to use my washer jets i have to shut the car off for the wipers to stop wiping and the jets to stop spraying, consequently i never use my washer jets on purpose.

Interceptor
11-18-2005, 02:24 AM
Did you know that the windshield washer jets are heated as well as the side mirrors?Were all that standard options? Or a part of the cold weather package?

JohnC
11-18-2005, 03:08 AM
i think all the heated stuff was standard. my 92 525 has them and my dad didnt spring for much back then. only thing is my heated mirrors are always on.

romus
11-18-2005, 04:59 AM
just make sure u always got enough water in the wipers tank and you'll be alright ;)

Interceptor
11-18-2005, 05:45 AM
i think all the heated stuff was standard. my 92 525 has them and my dad didnt spring for much back then. only thing is my heated mirrors are always on.I think they're supposed to be always on.

mzarifkar
11-18-2005, 07:45 AM
so, you lift the handle, and it heats up the lock?

yes, not sure if you have to hold it up or just once, so i hold it up and it will heat for about 40 seconds, i believe it will only let you do that 3 times, till you start the car.

The way i tested mine was by carefully inserting a cooking probe temp into the keyhole, and activating the lock heaters, you have to do it obviously while the car is locked, and disabling alarm would help.

Are our nozzles heated, or the fluid resevoir, i dont think mine works then, how can i diagnose this?

Bill R.
11-18-2005, 08:01 AM
heating system on the mirrors which is always on when the key is on and varies resistance according to ambient temperature, the current draw is about 1 amp per mirror with this system. The older cars before 6/90 used a thermo switch to turn the glass heaters on if the glass temp fell below 41F and turned them off when the glass temp exceeded 120F

I think they're supposed to be always on.

Bill R.
11-18-2005, 08:09 AM
a thermoswitch that turns them on or off.

yes, not sure if you have to hold it up or just once, so i hold it up and it will heat for about 40 seconds, i believe it will only let you do that 3 times, till you start the car.

The way i tested mine was by carefully inserting a cooking probe temp into the keyhole, and activating the lock heaters, you have to do it obviously while the car is locked, and disabling alarm would help.

Are our nozzles heated, or the fluid resevoir, i dont think mine works then, how can i diagnose this?

Scott H
11-18-2005, 09:11 AM
I noticed the differences between how the 535 worked (either on or off) and how the M5 and wagon work. I figure the M5 was screwed up until I realized the wagon worked the same way (always a bit of heat), but I didn't pursue it any further.

heating system on the mirrors which is always on when the key is on and varies resistance according to ambient temperature, the current draw is about 1 amp per mirror with this system. The older cars before 6/90 used a thermo switch to turn the glass heaters on if the glass temp fell below 41F and turned them off when the glass temp exceeded 120F

miliue
11-18-2005, 10:20 AM
I wish I had known about this feature two days ago when my locks froze! I can't wait to try it out.