PDA

View Full Version : Need advice about buying a 7 series

Joe F
11-12-2005, 11:39 AM
Greetings,
I am considering buying a 7 series next summer and thought I had better consult the experts here for some tips about what to look for.
I am thinking I want a '98 - '01 740 w/sport pkg. I know the 750 is also availabe in that body style. Is it more or less desirable than the 740 and if so, why?

I will use this car mostly for interstate highway driving. I am into performance more than luxury, but I thought this would be a great compromise. I would appreciate any input about options that are desirable or undesirable, potential problem areas and any deferred maintenance items that could be expensive to remedy. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Cheers,

JF

AllGo'n'Show
11-13-2005, 02:27 PM
Well I am not sure of the 740 or 750 engines themselves but I do know that on the E32 750's, if you were paying a stealership to do the work, most of the time it would cost alot more then say my 735iL. The v12's are a little bit harder to work on cause they take up more space so stealerships chargemore. If your doing it yourself, get whatever you want in my opinion, if you want some more balls got for the 750, if u want a nice cruiser and keep better gas milage then 740.

Someone else will be able to help more specifics but if they are a V12, unless u got money to throw around then I would stay away from it.

shogun
11-13-2005, 07:23 PM
The European version of the 740 has 210KW = 286 HP, and the 750 has 240 KW, so no big difference.
Power plenty. Both have a factory limiter at 250 khm.
The 750 is more a status question, and correspondingly it costs more money in fuel, purchasing price and much more in maintenance. I have since >10 years some 750 E32 and I know what I am talking about.
If you want to drive a sporty AND luxury model, try to find a 740i with 4.4 liter engine, and manual gear which was built from 09/1998 -2001 not the iA=Automatic .
Most of the large 7 series were sold with auto trans, but there are 740 with manual gear, especially in Germany, and they are much in demand.

YODA 1
12-14-2005, 08:48 AM
Greetings,
I am considering buying a 7 series next summer and thought I had better consult the experts here for some tips about what to look for.
I am thinking I want a '98 - '01 740 w/sport pkg. I know the 750 is also availabe in that body style. Is it more or less desirable than the 740 and if so, why?

I will use this car mostly for interstate highway driving. I am into performance more than luxury, but I thought this would be a great compromise. I would appreciate any input about options that are desirable or undesirable, potential problem areas and any deferred maintenance items that could be expensive to remedy. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Cheers,

JF

---- hmmm, remember you must, the force is strong in 12 cylinders you will see. awaits for you the dark side hmmmmm, when it breaks.

Darth Sidious
12-19-2005, 08:37 AM
---- hmmm, remember you must, the force is strong in 12 cylinders you will see. awaits for you the dark side hmmmmm, when it breaks.

Yoda... don't make me come kick your ass again....