11-06-2005, 05:14 PM
We had a passenger in the back seat -- they commented on "cold
air" coming from the center vent.

Sure enough it was cold.

We turned up the heat/temp dials all the way. Tried "feet" "feet,
center, defrost" and "auto" modes for both driver &passenger
settings.. Always cold air.

The only thing that seemed to affect it was the fan setting -- it did
blow more or less depending on the fan setting.

We rarely have passengers, so we never noticed it before.

I read that when the power goes out (change the battery) the heater
does a "self reset" kind of thing to reindex the stepper motors.

I did not know this when we put the new battery in - and I know I did
turn the car on & off rather quickly (just to verify the battery was
installed). So what I'm wondering is if this stepper motor is stuck in
one position or another -- or if there's something else to look for?
(dead stepper motor, connection/fuse) etc.

Thanks
-j

92 e32 735i

AllGo'n'Show
11-06-2005, 06:46 PM
If I rememebr right from what I rear it only works in the auto position. Tyr letting it sit in the auto position with car fully warmed up for a few mins, see if that works.

jassing
11-06-2005, 07:37 PM
If I rememebr right from what I rear it only works in the auto position. Tyr letting it sit in the auto position with car fully warmed up for a few mins, see if that works.

It was fully warmed up & it was in auto -- cold air -- but I discovered warm air does come out thru the under the seats vent.. not strong, but warm air does make it to be rear seats -- just that center console vent always seems to blow cold air..

Thanks
-j

shogun
11-06-2005, 07:58 PM
from the center vents in the rear NEVER warm air comes, see the blue colour.
http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/johan/center_vents/air_distribution.jpg

AllGo'n'Show
11-06-2005, 08:02 PM
Yes thats the picture :D:D its in our manuals.

jassing
11-06-2005, 08:26 PM
from the center vents in the rear NEVER warm air comes, see the blue colour.
http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/johan/center_vents/air_distribution.jpg

Thanks!
Like I said -- rarely have anyone back there -- so; never noticed it...

Thanks for the picture & the re-assurance.

Cheers
-josh

zuzuk212
11-17-2005, 03:17 PM
Why in the hell!!! I saw that photo before in my manual, but didn't believe it ... it's about 25 degrees F outside ... why would I want that pouring in :(
I thought something was wrong, just like jassing ... did a search and found this.

Thanks Shogun, but I can't believe this design ... why have it there at all. :p
Thanks again, now I know that I can't screw with it to stay warm.

Ken

jassing
11-17-2005, 03:23 PM
Why in the hell!!! I saw that photo before in my manual, but didn't believe it ... it's about 25 degrees F outside ... why would I want that pouring in :(
I thought something was wrong, just like jassing ... did a search and found this.

Thanks Shogun, but I can't believe this design ... why have it there at all. :p
Thanks again, now I know that I can't screw with it to stay warm.

Ken

Yea --- I agree.. but at least it's not something wrong...
What I find worse is that when I shut the back vent to stop cold air from coming in -- it is forced into the car by the ebrake - where the two parts of the centre console come together.. BRR. I ended up opening the vent up to keep it from blowing right at me....

zuzuk212
11-17-2005, 03:43 PM
Yea --- I agree.. but at least it's not something wrong...
What I find worse is that when I shut the back vent to stop cold air from coming in -- it is forced into the car by the ebrake - where the two parts of the centre console come together.. BRR. I ended up opening the vent up to keep it from blowing right at me....

Yep ... I know ... it's freaking my body out because I have the seat heater on and yet my hip is being blasted cold. I also agree, I'm happy that something is not wrong, but I would almost rather go through changing something to have heat rather than ice.

Ken

jassing
11-17-2005, 04:10 PM
Yep ... I know ... it's freaking my body out because I have the seat heater on and yet my hip is being blasted cold. I also agree, I'm happy that something is not wrong, but I would almost rather go through changing something to have heat rather than ice.

Ken

hehe - Very true! I agree...
Maybe someone will be very inventive and figure an easy & 'stock look' way of pipping warmed air back there.

AllGo'n'Show
11-17-2005, 04:27 PM
Not too sure about the cold air issue with mine, but could explain why my car gets cold quickly inside. Maybe I will look into it, figure out how to block it off in total. I know when I first got my car my shift level would get soo hot I could abrely touch it, don't know why to tell you the truth but if its because of warm air being forced down there becxause the vents are shut, maybe I can close 50% of the vent sup front, block off the cold air and force the warm air through the centre console out those vents.