PDA

View Full Version : e39- vehicle speed sensor A - which one is it?

tim
10-30-2005, 12:55 PM
Guys,

I posted about my DSC warning light and associated ABS and Brake lights. Well I finally got over to the 'Zone and scanned it and I got "vehicle speed sensor a" as my only code- much to my relief. Unfortunately we could not figure out which sensor a was. Also, they didn't have the part.

Where's a good place to order my sensor from?

tia, tim

tim
10-30-2005, 02:58 PM
I guess I forgot to mention it's an m62

and I should refine my question. The issue of whether it is front or back wheel sensor is pretty trivial. Presumably it's front.

I guess what I'm after is whether or not it could be that speed sensor on the DSC compressor that I saw in the ETK. That looks like a pain and it looks like you have to undo those pipes in the back just to be able to get at it.

When you get a speed sensor code on a generic reader like I did, would it specify between "vehicle speed sensor" and "wheel speed sensor"?

'sup?

Bellicose Right Winger
10-30-2005, 03:46 PM
ABS issues on E39's are a frequent topic on Roadfly. Hope you don't have a '99, they're suppose to be the worst. I think they eliminated the dif sensor for the speedo in the E39 and use ABS/DSC wheel sensor(s) for the vehicle speed. Does your speedo still work?

Paul Shovestul

I guess I forgot to mention it's an m62

and I should refine my question. The issue of whether it is front or back wheel sensor is pretty trivial. Presumably it's front.

I guess what I'm after is whether or not it could be that speed sensor on the DSC compressor that I saw in the ETK. That looks like a pain and it looks like you have to undo those pipes in the back just to be able to get at it.

When you get a speed sensor code on a generic reader like I did, would it specify between "vehicle speed sensor" and "wheel speed sensor"?

'sup?

tim
10-30-2005, 05:18 PM
yep, speedo works
yep it's a '99
Bill R suggested that it could be the right rear wheel sensor.
I'm praying it's not the abs control unit like the other '99s. I wonder if bmw customer would do anything for me if it is, since there's a tis bulletin about it and all.

tim
10-31-2005, 08:56 PM
Ok, so i got the part at the stealr. Damn. $80 after a discount for a $15 part.

Now I didn't really know which of the front speed sensors were bad, or even if "vehicle speed sensor a" is one of the wheel sensors, but hey, it's worth buying one to make the light go out. I know it's not the rears: because both the speedo and the cruise work. So I did one front side, then the other and yet the light remains on. Do you have to clear this code on the diag. reader?

the brake switch appears to function.
I don't know how to get to the steering wheel one.
There's one from the etk that sits under the DSC compressor, but it's so well hidden its only a myth really.
and of course my build date-4/99- is right smack in the bad part of town for the ABS controller unit, which alot of people got fixed for free, but mine has to wait six years and then go.

vehicle speed sensor "a" -wtf!