PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre electrical problems and a steering question...

Tractor
10-25-2005, 08:33 AM
Hi everybody

I wonder whether any of you knowledgeable souls can help me. My car is a 1992 E32 730i auto

I took the car in for a service last week. When I picked it up, the air bag warning light was flashing. Called the garage to complain, total denial of any responsibility, claiming it is merely coincidental. I had to let this drop for a number of reasons I won’t bore you with.

However, a few days later, when I next came to drive it, over a period of about 45 mins the following happened, and in this rough order:

Fluctuation of power to the stereo, with eventual total power loss.
ABS warning light came on and ABS failed
Dashboard illumination dimmed
Rev counter fluctuated and then failed completely
Speedo failed
Car wanted to stall when idling
Electric windows worked but very slowly
Indicators failed

I had obviously returned home by this point, fearful that the car wouldn’t start if I switched it off, and when I got home of course it wouldn’t start again. Also, the central locking had failed, but sounded as though it was trying, gently to work.

Any ideas what this could be? It is very strange as it was a progressive failure of various systems, and what appeared to be a gradual loss of power for the car’s electric motors. Could it be a fuse? A wiring loom?

Any thoughts and suggestions of how I might go about fixing this would be very gratefully received!!!

My second question concerns the steering box on my car - it has got to the point now where I get pronounced shake through the steering, especialy through bumpy bends, but sometimes just on particularly bumpy surfaces. Is this something that adjustment of the box could fix, or is a new or reconditioned box the only solution?

Many thanks

Michael

shogun
10-25-2005, 10:24 AM
That sounds to me that you do not have proper ground connections. Can you tell us more what has been done on the car?
I would return the car to the shop and ask them to rectify this problem.

As for the steering: there is a large nut close to the pedals. Maybe this just has to be adjusted.
http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/johan/steering_box_adjustment/steering_box_adjustment.html

The steering gear box can also be adjusted. Go to my page and then see the link to Bruno's page, there are the details. Also on Johan's page (see above link) there are a lot of further info.

Maybe some of the electric wizzards here can comment a bit more on the power problem.

Maybe it is the main fuse, see some info on the page of O.J. on my website. That sits under the rear seat. But not in the fuse box under the rear seats.

MDLeers
10-27-2005, 08:15 AM
The most susceptible systems will go first, then the others, giving you that "domino" impression. Could still be coincidental with garage - when the battery goes........it goes - especially after a major discharge, which I'm sure happened at the garage while they were working on it. I have to remind myself sometimes to connect my charger while I'm doing major work on my car.

shogun
10-27-2005, 09:14 AM
@MD:
I just bought a solar battery charger which can be connected to the cigarette lighter or directly to the battery.
Mainly I want to use it for my Highline which is under work as you know.
Wonder if it works to keep the battery alive. With my daily driver I mainly drive in city traffic and short distances. Here pics of the ads
http://image.auctionweb.info/lister/original/124013/c29b7daf49136ad7a295dd4a8bd5f7b8.jpg
http://image.auctionweb.info/lister/original/124013/321b241e54ff309828c95ffb463247d6.jpg

Or something like this here
http://www.lectriclimited.com/battery-butler.htm

MDLeers
10-27-2005, 11:59 AM
Cool, that would be great for tailgating at sports events (when we're not working on our cars!) and not worrying about runing down the battery when you're playing tunes and keeping your cell phone charged! Should help, also, keeping the battery from running down while we're working on 'em. Thx.

MDLeers
10-27-2005, 09:05 PM
Saw one at Harbor Freight today for 19.99, says it gives 1.5 watts. Should prolong the battery if you're jist keeping things going with just the interior lights, or the stereo.

Tractor
11-03-2005, 08:35 AM
Great, thanks for the info guys.

M