PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filter kit for M50 engine

Chris'91'525i
09-20-2005, 06:00 PM
Well I've been holding off doing my oil change since I was warned about using the STP filter kit, due to possible bad fitment. The STP filter has a full sheet metal cover over the paper element. After looking over the German filter, the STP one looked like it would be very restrictive, as it has the whole element covered and with very small holes for the oil to pass through ,it looks more like an oil restricter than an oil filter. I'm glad I was warned about these filters.

Anyway ,I won an eBay auction for 5 Mahle filter kits for $25.50/shipped. So I'm set for filters for the next 5 years.
(I also got a new Receiver Drier for my convertion to R134a from the same eBay seller for $27 a couple weeks ago as well)
This eBay seller auctions these items regularly, as they are relisted again now.

But my questions is: Does the filter kit include the oil pan drain plug seal too ? Or do I need to get some 12×17 sealing rings for the drain plug ?

RobPatt
09-20-2005, 06:18 PM
sorry to ask another question, and I don't have an answer to yours, but other mahle kits do have a crush washer for the bottom drain...

Well I've been holding off doing my oil change since I was warned about using the STP filter kit, due to possible bad fitment. The STP filter has a full sheet metal cover over the paper element. After looking over the German filter, the STP one looked like it would be very restrictive, as it has the whole element covered and with very small holes for the oil to pass through ,it looks more like an oil restricter than an oil filter. I'm glad I was warned about these filters.

Anyway ,I won an eBay auction for 5 Mahle filter kits for $25.50/shipped. So I'm set for filters for the next 5 years.
(I also got a new Receiver Drier for my convertion to R134a from the same eBay seller for $27 a couple weeks ago as well)
This eBay seller auctions these items regularly, as they are relisted again now.

But my questions is: Does the filter kit include the oil pan drain plug seal too ? Or do I need to get some 12×17 sealing rings for the drain plug ?

ryan roopnarine
09-20-2005, 07:01 PM
you've confused the two. both stp and purolator have paper covers over the filter element. as someone that has torn apart all three, the stp, mahle, purolator for the m50, the stp just feels more cheaply constructed, but the covers do not (IMHO) restrict oilflow. the holes look the same size in all three, at least to me. I'd buy the purolator if i couldn't get a mahle, but i'd use the STP and include the fact that its an STP in any service history without any concern if the purolator or mahle aren't available. i have an stp on my desk right now. the only problem i have with them is that the rubber end cap will come off if you open the oil canister up HOT, which is why i try to use the purolator. autozone had the stp filter for free after rebate, so i bought this. i have no hesitation towards putting it into my car.

ps...any m50 filter is going to come with a baggie with four things, the lid gasket, the filter bolt o-ring, the filter bolt washer, and the crush washer. i would only assume otherwise if i was told otherwise (in the auction, for example).

nuwde
09-20-2005, 07:08 PM
yeah, 5 filters for 5 years is quite impressive. hehe. at ~$5 that's a good deal.

nuwde
09-20-2005, 07:09 PM
any differences or comments for mann vs mahle oil filters?

Chris'91'525i
09-20-2005, 07:55 PM
sorry to ask another question, and I don't have an answer to yours, but other mahle kits do have a crush washer for the bottom drain...

I'll be using Mobile 1 Syntec, and since I ride my K100RS too I'll only be putting at the most 6-7 K on the 525i per year.
So I should be good for yearly LOF's, unless I do any major trips.
I had a feeling the bag o seals had the drain plug seal, just wanted to be sure.

Mendozart
09-20-2005, 07:56 PM
any differences or comments for mann vs mahle oil filters?
They both are good filters, as they are both oem replacements. I have used both without a problem. They also both come with all o-rings and crush washers.

Chris'91'525i
09-20-2005, 08:22 PM
you've confused the two. both stp and purolator have paper covers over the filter element. as someone that has torn apart all three, the stp, mahle, purolator for the m50, the stp just feels more cheaply constructed, but the covers do not (IMHO) restrict oilflow. the holes look the same size in all three, at least to me. I'd buy the purolator if i couldn't get a mahle, but i'd use the STP and include the fact that its an STP in any service history without any concern if the purolator or mahle aren't available. i have an stp on my desk right now. the only problem i have with them is that the rubber end cap will come off if you open the oil canister up HOT, which is why i try to use the purolator. autozone had the stp filter for free after rebate, so i bought this. i have no hesitation towards putting it into my car.

ps...any m50 filter is going to come with a baggie with four things, the lid gasket, the filter bolt o-ring, the filter bolt washer, and the crush washer. i would only assume otherwise if i was told otherwise (in the auction, for example).

I was concerned about the perforated sheetmetal cover over the pleated paper part of the STP oil filter. It covers the entire pleated part, where as the Mahle's sheetmetal part covers only the center portion of the pleats.
It seems oil would flow more unrestricted on the Mahle over the STP.
I'm sure STP would not sell a defective design.
But the Mahle design just felt better to me :)
Plus reading about bad fitting filters had me concerned. No offense to Mexican manufacturers, but I may as well use german filters in a german car for piece of mind. Plus the price was right !
I got the STP at Autozone too. It was on sale for $3.99 though.