Jon K
09-17-2005, 07:36 PM
Here it is

Exterior and Lighting:

Euro Projectors w/ Lava Lighting Philips 6000k HID
Euro Projector Fogs w/ OEM 4300k HID
Clear Indicators
Hella Euro Tails
Custom Respray (vw/bmw green mix, metallic)
All lower trim painted
30% Tint

Interior:

Molded Touch Screen
Alcantara Interior (custom by self)
All UUC Motorwerks Polished Aluminum Accessories
Alcantara Shift Boot (made by self)
Alcantara A and C pillars and rear parcel shelf (self)
Home made camera mount bar
Custom E46 Sport Steering Wheel with Alcantara Trim

Wheels and Suspension:

Rondell #72 17x8.5" and 17x10" wheels
Kumho Ecsta 712 235/45/17 front and 255/40/17 rears
H&R sport springs
Bilstein Sport struts
M-tech 3mm spring pads
Race King Polyurethane Subframe Reinforcement Plates
Grunt Polyurethane Control Arm Bushings
Lemforder OEM 750i Control Arm Bushings
Zimmerman Cross Drilled Rotors
Axxis Metal Master Ultimate Brake Pads
Bronze Painted Calipers

Engine:

'92 M50 Non Vanos
Custom ASA Supercharger @ 6.5 psi
1200 engine rpm stall supercharger clutch (no noise at idle)
Custom 26x9x3" Front Mount Intercooler (anodized black) (sitting in garage)
Bosch 30# Fuel Injectors
Cartech Rising Rate Fuel Pressure Regulator
UUC Motorwerks Oil Distribution Center
Goodridge Stainless Steel Oil Lines
Modified OBDII Dipstick for Oil Return
K&N Filter Element
Audi S4 Diverter valve tubing
ATP Turbo Silicone Couplers
Bosch 710 Diverter Valve
Magnaflow Hi-Flow 2.5" Catalytic Converters (2 parallel)
M5 B&B Triflow 2.5" dual Catback with 72mm tips
Custom Oil Catch Can

Audio/Video:

Custom CarPC - 120GB hard drive 1GB Memory
Molded VGA Touchscreen USB
Audigy 2 NX USB 7.1 Sound Card
Delorme USB GPS receiver
Phoenix Gold Pro-1 Line Driver
Audiobahn A2301Q Amplifier
Audiobahn A8000T Amplifier
MB Quart Q Series 3-way Components (6.5", 4", 1")
Alpine Type-R 10" Dual Voice Coil subwoofer in spare tire mount box
Phoenix Gold 30-Band Graphical Equalizer
Tsunami 2 Farad Capacitor
Modified X-Box w/ 160GB Hard Drive
Rear View Camera

http://www.orbitalinternet.net/photoshoot/a.jpg

http://www.orbitalinternet.net/photoshoot/f.jpg

http://e34.digital7.com/My%20E34s/7.jpg

http://www.orbitalinternet.net/photoshoot/g.jpg

Jon K
09-17-2005, 07:38 PM
http://e34.digital7.com/9-05-05%20Cars/2.jpg

http://e34.digital7.com/Interior%20and%20Wheel/7.jpg

http://e34.digital7.com/Interior%20and%20Wheel/boot3.jpg

http://e34.digital7.com/Interior%20and%20Wheel/twotone2.jpg

Jon K
09-17-2005, 07:39 PM
http://e34.digital7.com/blowerthru.jpg

http://e34.digital7.com/HID%20Fogs/hids1.jpg

Wyn
09-18-2005, 01:43 PM
Is the supercharger just mounted up... or is it actually up and running?

Jon K
09-18-2005, 06:39 PM
Is the supercharger just mounted up... or is it actually up and running?

It is now up and running... though it ate a belt tonight...

billb
09-20-2005, 12:25 PM
Your car is very interesting!!

http://e34.digital7.com/Interior%20and%20Wheel/7.jpg

Alexlind123
09-20-2005, 03:09 PM
I love your car jon. The wheels and the supercharger make me drool. Perhaps some day my car can become more like yours.

Jon K
09-20-2005, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the comments guys.

Torque
09-21-2005, 08:28 PM
I've said this many times on bimmerforums, but I simply love your car. I honestly can't find one thing I don't like on it.

Jon K
09-22-2005, 10:28 PM
Thanks every one for the kind words and praise. The BMW community is the reason I enjoy working on this vehicle so much!

BigKriss
09-23-2005, 04:11 AM
envious.

SC David
09-23-2005, 02:24 PM
I can't stand how clean everything is. Not a thing I would change.

White535Mtl
09-23-2005, 08:07 PM
Definitely one of the cleanest on this board. Keep it up!

Does the steering wheel require a lot of modifications?

Jon K
09-25-2005, 03:43 PM
Definitely one of the cleanest on this board. Keep it up!

Does the steering wheel require a lot of modifications?

Lengthy explaination, use the search...

timeout
09-26-2005, 12:16 PM
awesome car, this should be in a magazine.

McWatters
09-27-2005, 08:18 PM
Orgasmic yet again, best lookin one ive seen soo dam clean, so modified. So sexy So e34.

k im done

cheers

J.McWatters

uscharalph
09-29-2005, 11:59 PM
It looks like everything's already been said!

Jr ///M5
10-01-2005, 06:47 PM
Jon,

Your eye of photography and talent of imagination are well defined through your work in the E34. You have successfully surpassed the boundries of the E34 Virtual Car Show and entered into the next realm. The E34 as an ART project. During this progression, you will accomplish the skills it takes to turn a 15 year old car into a work of art, and everyone who sees it will appreciate the hard work and vision that you have expressed.
Now be a good student and give your Mom credit for that beautiful Alcantera stitching....=)

You've done a great job combining your photography skills along with the modifications of your E34. That's part of the Virtual Car Show values. Keep up the good work, know when to say "when", and then, when you get bored, find another project car, because you certainly have a talent that needs to be shared with the other E34 enthusiasts. I've enjoyed your enthusiasim along the way.

Enjoy,
Jr

Gayle
10-01-2005, 11:06 PM
The E34 as an ART project. During this progression, you will accomplish the skills it takes to turn a 15 year old car into a work of art, and everyone who sees it will appreciate the hard work and vision that you have expressed.

Jr

Jr

Speaking of e34 as a work of art, where are the pictures of your car? It has already been decided that you get a coronation. You can't be a no show for that. There are a whole bunch of newbies now who have never seen that gorgeous hunk of metal you own. We need the inspiration your car can provide. Jr--get posting.

Gayle

Randell
10-02-2005, 04:21 AM
you win

that is the hottest e34 i've ever seen..

not overdone in any way.. just spot on.. i wouldn't mind more pics if you had some

Ted K
10-02-2005, 09:11 PM
Nice ride. You have some time and money in this one. M5 eater.

Nick.Hay
10-03-2005, 12:17 AM
I'm really not completely sold on the "Stock for Life" catch cry... :(

Mine's more 'stock' than yours!! Maybe it should be... I dunno.... "Perfecting Perfection" or something??

Jon K
10-03-2005, 06:59 AM
hehe thanks guys

Ted K
10-03-2005, 12:10 PM
Jon what kind of power are you putting down to the road with the SC? Why not a turbo? Where did you get the SC?

Jon K
10-03-2005, 12:25 PM
Jon what kind of power are you putting down to the road with the SC? Why not a turbo? Where did you get the SC?

We're hoping for somewhere in the 280 - 285 ballpark... we're peaking 7.75 psi (digital boost gauge) vs the 6.5 i figured... so that should be good for a few additional horsepower. Having idle issues w/ O2 sensor (I THINK!) so I have to rememdy that before i try and dyno it.

Paul in NZ
10-04-2005, 12:03 AM
wow Jon your photos really do it justice.....

Jon K
10-06-2005, 12:56 PM
wow Jon your photos really do it justice.....

Thanks Paul

mzarifkar
10-07-2005, 08:11 AM
Power and Elegance, isn't that what BMW is all about? I think you got yourself a fine example of BMW

TheDuke
10-07-2005, 03:23 PM
I'm a big fan of Jons' photos, they always look so...good.

Gayle
10-07-2005, 06:13 PM
Power and Elegance, isn't that what BMW is all about?

Well said.

DCR
10-15-2005, 06:32 PM
Stunning. Simply stunning.

Jon K
10-16-2005, 10:35 PM
thank you guys.

I up'd the snuff. 9 psi now, added some more black to my "black and tan" theme. Pictures to follow.

Jon K
10-26-2005, 10:39 AM
http://e34.digital7.com/Interior%20and%20Wheel/shelf.jpg

Picture as promised

Alcantara rear shelf.

Jon K
11-06-2005, 09:54 PM
No one likes the alcantara?

AllGo'n'Show
11-06-2005, 10:09 PM
I liked it around the shift boot and such but i dunno about the rear self, is the roof liner that way too?

Jon K
11-06-2005, 10:48 PM
yep, it will be. A, B, C pillars, rear shelf, headliner, wood trim, shift boot, ebrake boot, shifter surround and fiberglass gauge pod. Waiting on the gauge pod still :(

AllGo'n'Show
11-06-2005, 10:52 PM
holly bageezsis. Post pics of it all when u got it, all in a row and imsure u will get more feedback.

Is that stuff kind of like swade?

Jon K
11-06-2005, 11:40 PM
its exactly like suede.

just like the headliner in E39 M5

DCR
11-07-2005, 12:38 AM
Would love to see some decent interior shots. I am planning on re-trimming my seats and door cards in a newer leather and I think yours maybe the colour I am usiing.

Gayle
11-19-2005, 03:58 PM
bump

Jon K
11-19-2005, 06:00 PM
bump
thanks gayle

hakwuzhere
12-06-2005, 08:44 PM
Jon, I originally saw your car over at Cardomain and all I can say is wow! I had been looking into double DIN modifications of the dash and what youve done is awesome.

About a month ago I picked up a 92 525 just like yours, the only other double DIN mod I had seen was the one down in the shift area, but I was concerned that would be too low for a NAVI and might affect my shifting without a short shift kit.

In my research I found your gallery of the pics of the AC mods in the dash, but I was wondering if you could give me some more information on how you did the AC mod? Where did your vent selectors go? Is it single zone AC now? How rough was it to extend the wires to move the AC/Defrost/Recirculate buttons?

I work for a custom Audio/Video company on the Home A/V design side. But we have a pretty large car custom installation shop, so I know I have the guys to build the custom panels and such.

Oh, and for the geek in me, mind letting me know how the CarPC you have built is working out for you?... Hows it do for sound quality and such? Im looking to go with some Boston Z's up front powered by Zapco, and a JL 12w7 with a 500/1 or 1000/1 for the sub.

Sorry for all the questions, but your car is very similar to where I want mine to be :)

Jon K
12-06-2005, 09:17 PM
Jon, I originally saw your car over at Cardomain and all I can say is wow! I had been looking into double DIN modifications of the dash and what youve done is awesome.

About a month ago I picked up a 92 525 just like yours, the only other double DIN mod I had seen was the one down in the shift area, but I was concerned that would be too low for a NAVI and might affect my shifting without a short shift kit.

In my research I found your gallery of the pics of the AC mods in the dash, but I was wondering if you could give me some more information on how you did the AC mod? Where did your vent selectors go? Is it single zone AC now? How rough was it to extend the wires to move the AC/Defrost/Recirculate buttons?

I work for a custom Audio/Video company on the Home A/V design side. But we have a pretty large car custom installation shop, so I know I have the guys to build the custom panels and such.

Oh, and for the geek in me, mind letting me know how the CarPC you have built is working out for you?... Hows it do for sound quality and such? Im looking to go with some Boston Z's up front powered by Zapco, and a JL 12w7 with a 500/1 or 1000/1 for the sub.

Sorry for all the questions, but your car is very similar to where I want mine to be :)
Thanks for the praise. I doubt you saw my car on cardoman - i don't think i have a cardomain site. But nonetheless...

The AC relocation was probably the easier part of the project. I simply spliced the wiring to the AC switch about 12" longer and brough it up next to the foglight switch. I had to dremel out that space so that the switch fit correctly and then sanded it to clean it up. The actual relocation of that switch was the easiest. The harder part was that I had to take the printed circuit board (PCB) for the dual zone climate and cut it in half(!). The reason for this was because I could not fit the LCD in there with the three dials, so I figured I would remove one. However, the way that the PCB is, you can't just cut the drivers side knob off because the primary leads for the controls come in on that side. However, I realized that the drivers side knob is the primary control for both sides of the car, ie.: if the drivers side is max heat, then the passenger side is max heat, and if hte drivers side is max cold, then the passenger side is max cold. So naturally, it seemed I should remove the passenger dial. Initially I did not know how I was going to do that because if I cut the dial off and slide the unit over to the right, nothing lined up right in the back of the controls. So what I ended up doing, was cutting off the passener side controls and turning the entire blower and drivers side heater controls upside down. This is really because I could not clear the backside of the LCD unless this was done. So as it stands now, the blower control is the left dial, and the "drivers" side controller is the right temp dial. The right temp dial, consequently takes over both sides of teh car, so its a single climate system now, but I don't mind that at all. My girlfriend never wanted her side 74 and mine 72 anyway ;)

The PCM that was cut:

http://e34.digital7.com/LCD%20Project/lcd11.jpg

As for the sliders, they are mechanical and I could not figure out a good way to extend them to some place else while making it look right. So, they were set by testing them with the blower on. My windshield defroster is 100% open, the forward vents are 100% open, the floor vents are about 20% open. With a new microfilter in place, there is great airflow with both heat and airconditioning.

I wouldn't recommend this sort of modification to an inexperienced person, or someone scared of breaking things. I don't think anyone ever cut a climate control PCB in half before, but I did it after a couple sessions of brainstorming and following traces on the unit.

As for the CarPC. It is a small Mini ITX system hardwired to the car, featuring a start-up and shutdown controller that is triggered by the ignition. It waits 4 seconds after the car is switched on before powering the PC (waits for the car to be done cranking and the alternator to charge the power drain that might have occured). It also wait 4 seconds after the key has been removed from the ignition (or to the off position) before sending a shutdown signal to the computer. This allows me to turn the motor off and then the ignition on without interupting the computer - for instance, when at a gas station. The crucial point to this controller and the reason its quite ellaborate is becuase it survives cranking as well as puts the computer though a graceful shutdown (no hard power-off). You can even hibernate the PC for quicker boot up times. The sound is excellent, as Alan_525i can confirm, but that is due to the fact that it is feeding an Audigy 2 NX 7.1 channel THX sound card (external) which then goes to audiobahn amplifiers powering my MB Quart Q-Series 6.5", 4", and 1" components up front. The system has navigation, video, mp3, wireless internet via 802.11g/b, wireless internet via Sprint PCS, and is XM capable. The graphical front end is a custom deviant of an open-source front end that has been developed for such systems and utilizes Macromedia Flash for a very unique and animated front end.

hakwuzhere
12-06-2005, 11:00 PM
Wow, alot more went into that than I thought, that computer is very trick. Electrical Engineering backround? or Computer Engineering?...

You were right on the cardomain thing, I saw it the original pic over on bimmerforum. This is the double DIN I saw on cardomain

http://www.veeshanvault.org/gallery/albums/album33/InDash_Double_Din.jpg

As for the AC mod, a few clarifying questions. When you cut the PCB, no other modifications to the wiring were necessary to have the drivers side temp control do the whole car? Also, what happened to the mechanical vent controls, are they just stuffed behind the dash somewhere?

In your opinion, would it be possible to relocate them to the inside of the drivers side foot well, maybe with a slimmer knob attached so as not to get in the way? Or if there is space, put them behind a panel on the drivers side so I could get to them if I needed them.

Thanks again for answering my questions :)

Beez540
12-06-2005, 11:02 PM
Your love for the E34 is evident in what has been the finest presentation of the show. Like some others have said... you're truly in a class of your own with this car. I love everything you've done with it.

Keep on keeping us inspired.

Beez540
12-06-2005, 11:04 PM
We're hoping for somewhere in the 280 - 285 ballpark... we're peaking 7.75 psi (digital boost gauge) vs the 6.5 i figured... so that should be good for a few additional horsepower. Having idle issues w/ O2 sensor (I THINK!) so I have to rememdy that before i try and dyno it.

everything about your ride is so smooth... I almost feel guilty that you still won't be making as much HP as my chipped 540i. ;)

Jon K
12-06-2005, 11:43 PM
Wow, alot more went into that than I thought, that computer is very trick. Electrical Engineering backround? or Computer Engineering?...

You were right on the cardomain thing, I saw it the original pic over on bimmerforum. This is the double DIN I saw on cardomain

http://www.veeshanvault.org/gallery/albums/album33/InDash_Double_Din.jpg

As for the AC mod, a few clarifying questions. When you cut the PCB, no other modifications to the wiring were necessary to have the drivers side temp control do the whole car? Also, what happened to the mechanical vent controls, are they just stuffed behind the dash somewhere?

In your opinion, would it be possible to relocate them to the inside of the drivers side foot well, maybe with a slimmer knob attached so as not to get in the way? Or if there is space, put them behind a panel on the drivers side so I could get to them if I needed them.

Thanks again for answering my questions :)

Thats an interesting picture you posted. Unfortunately, being that my screen is a touch screen, it is awkward to have it in that location. That would be fine with just an auxillary LCD. But please note that that is not a stock center console... its leather wrapped etc.

To relocate the sliders wouldnt be THAT hard, but you may have to weld extensions. Those sliders work much like the front brakes on a bicycle. Its a cable inside a plastic sheathing, they're mechanical not electrical. Yes, mine were set at the advertised percentages and tucked behind.

Also forgot to mention, aside from a touch screen being that low and awkward, I also have a gauge pod being put there to house AFR, Boost, Oil Pressure, and Oil Temp

Jon K
12-06-2005, 11:45 PM
everything about your ride is so smooth... I almost feel guilty that you still won't be making as much HP as my chipped 540i. ;)
Not as guilty as I felt walking a chipped E34 540, with Bahnstormer to back me up ;)

The 285 hp was @ 6.5 psi non intercooled. I am now intercooled on 9 psi @ 6500 rpm, and am moving my redline to 7200 rpm, which will be around 11 - 12 psi if all is linear. I am also on a standalone ECU (just received it) with wideband O2 management, it's MAP based so it will be tuned specifically for boost. I will be closer to 380 crank horsepower ;) With a new motor coming and new parts, including an additional snail, keep an eye here! Don't feel so guilty :)

The standalone is going to be integrated into the carpc so it will show me MAP, AFR, load, etc all on the LCD. Technically I could tune on the fly with the touch screen, but I am going to want to be more tedious with a mouse/keyboard for that.

Beez540
12-07-2005, 02:35 AM
Not as guilty as I felt walking a chipped E34 540, with Bahnstormer to back me up ;)

The 285 hp was @ 6.5 psi non intercooled. I am now intercooled on 9 psi @ 6500 rpm, and am moving my redline to 7200 rpm, which will be around 11 - 12 psi if all is linear. I am also on a standalone ECU (just received it) with wideband O2 management, it's MAP based so it will be tuned specifically for boost. I will be closer to 380 crank horsepower ;) With a new motor coming and new parts, including an additional snail, keep an eye here! Don't feel so guilty :)

The standalone is going to be integrated into the carpc so it will show me MAP, AFR, load, etc all on the LCD. Technically I could tune on the fly with the touch screen, but I am going to want to be more tedious with a mouse/keyboard for that.

well I didn't say "faster"... and I could only anticipate further tuning considering all the work so far.;)

Besides, the freeway is a 540s natural habitat... what with the slushbox and 2.93 gearing (sheesh!)

Perhaps you can find a lightly modded 540i m-sport to play with!

miliue
12-09-2005, 09:22 AM
Jon,

Beautiful car! Any interest in making an s/c kit for the rest of us non-vanos 525 owners who don't have the time/knowledge to build a custom setup like yours? If you build one, I will buy it! Seriously.

Also, how did you go about the alcantara install? Do you have any pics of the process? I'd really like to do this to my car as well, it looks great.

Jon K
12-09-2005, 10:14 AM
Jon,

Beautiful car! Any interest in making an s/c kit for the rest of us non-vanos 525 owners who don't have the time/knowledge to build a custom setup like yours? If you build one, I will buy it! Seriously.

Also, how did you go about the alcantara install? Do you have any pics of the process? I'd really like to do this to my car as well, it looks great.

I'd make kits but the problem is there is no software that could be used, so you'd have to convert to what i am doing, standalone ecu. You can use any 325i kit (93+ even) if you understand you will have to get your own software.

Alcantara is straight forward just 3M Super 77 spray adhesive. Its a little trickier than that but its not bad.

AllGo'n'Show
12-09-2005, 10:36 AM
Standalone ECU is the best way to go anyways if you plan on doing it right.

Love the S/C setup. Might be going Turbo on my 7, who knows ;)

Jon K
12-10-2005, 07:55 PM
Standalone ECU is the best way to go anyways if you plan on doing it right.

Love the S/C setup. Might be going Turbo on my 7, who knows ;)

Standalone makes for headaches at the same time, though!

hakwuzhere
12-12-2005, 12:03 PM
Jon, another quick question for you on the double DIN install. I was speaking with my mechanic today, and he mentioned that that there is a dual heater core, by cutting the PCB for the AC controls, you would only be using the drivers side heater core. He said it might be possible to have both cores controls wired to a single knob, but I wanted to see if you had to do anything special to make this work. Or are you running on a single heater core?

Thanks for all your responses. Im meeting with my car audio installer next week to start talking about the custom dash work. Im hopping to have the system installed sometime next month.

Jon K
12-12-2005, 01:10 PM
There is only a single heater core in an E34 as far as I am aware. The only thing the dual zones do is adjust the source vent, as far as I know. I get heat on both sides of the car and cold on both sides of the car.

Jon K
12-19-2005, 08:42 PM
started my standalone ECU install

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=16968

just so anyone who may be interested can check it out!

tgrandahl
01-21-2006, 11:54 PM
I like the car pc allot, i have been loosing sleep trying to decide if i should try to modify the dash for something double din size. The main problem is obviously the climate controls. Did you put some type of actuators in to control the defroster/floor/cabin air flow and control it through the pc?

It also looks like the driver temp control is missing, how does that work out? Is this a mini-itx setup in the glove box? and wheres this xbox?

It looks great i just wish we could see more.