PDA

View Full Version : Need help - cannot get inside car, battery is dead

E34_buch
09-12-2005, 09:22 AM
Hi everybody,

Just found this community, in desperate search of a solution for my problem. Seems a great place with answers for all sort of problems, I hope to add my part.

My E34 lost all power, basically the car battery is dead after not being used while on vacation.
Last time I had this problem, I succeded by wiring a cable from another car's battery and connecting it to the light source from my car's trunk. This supplied enough power to open the doors. At that time, the car trunk was left open, so the light was ON.

Unfortunately, right now everything is locked, including trunk and lights are OFF. I tried to connect the wire from the battery to one of the lights from the license plate, but because the lights are off, this is not working.

The alarm was supposed to be dead, but I cannot think why the BMW engineers would've chosen to design an electrical key locking system instead of a mechanical one. Is it something I am missing here?

Any tips and advices about how to open the door without smashing a window, would be REALLY appreciated.

632 Regal
09-12-2005, 09:28 AM
do the emergency procedure on the passanger side...

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/trouble/Locked.htm

Gayle
09-12-2005, 09:31 AM
There is an emergency unlock procedure. I think it is lift the driver side handle while turning the key as far as possible counterclockwise. If you are in a country that drives on the other side, might be the opposite.

Do a search in this forum under "emergency unlock" or "lock synchronization"

Good luck.

E34_buch
09-12-2005, 10:00 AM
The emergency lock procedure didn't work on the driver's side. I turned the key to the left, heard a "click", but the door didn't open and now the key is not turning right. I presume this is related to the synchronization procedure.

The great thing is that it worked like a charm on the passenger seat. I left the door open and will hook up another battery in the morning. I hope the driver's door will open after this.

Thanks for the FAST replies, you saved me a day of hassle and probably one window. THANKS!

632 Regal
09-12-2005, 10:03 AM
it only works on the passanger side.

E34_buch
09-12-2005, 10:22 AM
Yes, you are right! Thanks!

Bill R.
09-12-2005, 11:01 AM
it only works on the passanger side.

632 Regal
09-12-2005, 12:01 PM
I almost learn something here everyday...what cars had the dual door option?

Interceptor
09-12-2005, 12:42 PM
it only works on the passanger side.That's strange - I can open/close both the driver's and passenger's doors with the flat battery. It's the same as if I didn't have central locking. Is this euro-only feature?

Bill R.
09-12-2005, 12:58 PM
http://www.bimmer.info/%7Ebill/Doorlocking%20copy.jpg
I almost learn something here everyday...what cars had the dual door option?

E34_buch
09-12-2005, 01:12 PM
I'm in Europe. I doubt this is related to geographical location, most probably is related to the locking manufacturer + car's options...

632 Regal
09-12-2005, 01:34 PM
cool 9/89...all I have to do is remember that!

Thanks Bill

Interceptor
09-12-2005, 01:48 PM
I'm in Europe. I doubt this is related to geographical location, most probably is related to the locking manufacturer + car's options...
It wouldn't be a bad idea to fill in your profile info so that people can answer your questions more precisely (knowing your location, vehicle model, year...).

Jeff N.
09-12-2005, 02:20 PM
... unlock a long time ago. Would have saved me immense frustration on my 10/89 model!!!

Jeff

http://www.bimmer.info/%7Ebill/Doorlocking%20copy.jpg

Zeuk in Oz
09-12-2005, 03:47 PM
When this happened to me I opened the boot (trunk) and bribed my then skinny 11 year old son to crawl through the armrest hole and unlock the doors.
Worked a treat !
Does this constitute child abuse ?
Depends on the size of the bribe I suppose.

E34_buch
09-13-2005, 11:39 PM
It wouldn't be a bad idea to fill in your profile info so that people can answer your questions more precisely (knowing your location, vehicle model, year...).
Yep, you are right.

E34_buch
09-14-2005, 12:01 AM
After fixing the problem above using the unlocking procedure from http://www.bmwe34.net/E34main/Trouble/Locked.htm
I succeded to get into the car, but the left door is not usable anymore.

First I try this procedure on the left door. I heard the "click" when turning the key to the left, the door didn't open and the key didn't move to the right anymore.

The right door worked like a charm, but now I cannot use the central locking of the car from neither key or alarm remote. Basically I can't lock the door anymore.
Is this related to the synchronization procedure? Did I miss something?

E34_buch
09-14-2005, 05:08 AM
OK, here's the status. The central locking isn't working anymore, either from the remote or from the passenger/driver door. I can lock the passenger door with the car key, but I cannot unlock it.

In order to open the driver door I have to do like this:
1. from the inside of the care (I leave one of the other doors unlocked at all times) pull the locking mechanism and then pull the handle until it rises a little bit and stays like that (the maximum opening it reaches when you open a door manually)
2. from the outside of the car I pull the door handle...

Any ideas? Thanks.

imnprsd
09-15-2005, 11:35 PM
I heard you can insert a long screw driver through the front hood crack to release the latch. This will allow you to get into the engine compartment to jump the vehicle and open the door. I have not tried it myself, but I think I will look into this so I can be prepared when this happens to me.