PDA

View Full Version : Tow Hitch wiring

Mewsy
09-12-2005, 03:19 AM
Can anyone help with a wiring diagram for a tow hitch, or can some one confirm if my car would have come equipped with the wiring already. (1989 525I) There are several plugs under the trunk liner, one of which has about 6 male pins with a female clip attachment that has no wires leading from it.

Also I have had mixed opinions whether or not I need a surge protector to guard the computer. Any thoughts ?? Has anyone just tapped off the existing wires??

Thanks heaps
Garry

Bimmer Nut Ed
09-15-2005, 05:40 AM

Can anyone help with a wiring diagram for a tow hitch, or can some one confirm if my car would have come equipped with the wiring already. (1989 525I) There are several plugs under the trunk liner, one of which has about 6 male pins with a female clip attachment that has no wires leading from it.

Also I have had mixed opinions whether or not I need a surge protector to guard the computer. Any thoughts ?? Has anyone just tapped off the existing wires??

Thanks heaps
Garry

callen
09-15-2005, 02:11 PM
have wired both my 91 535 and 89 735il for trailer....Hoppy/Litemate make a converter that will protect your lighting circuit, keep dash warning system from fasley indicating tail light problem as well as integrating seperate blinker/brake lights to 4 way plug. Autozone just discontinued it so search Ebay. Will cost you $40.00 or so but very will worth it. http://www.truckcustomizers.com/products/R4HOP428.7.html Do check other sources for price but this will give you part #. PM me if you need additional info.
Callen

PS 735il are the perfect Tow vehicle.