PDA

View Full Version : Door trim bottoms questions

Black 535i
09-06-2005, 11:25 AM
The dealer here at Knauz in Chicago quoted me $78.50 for all four door bottom trims so I jumped the gun and went for it. I am planning on using the POR-15 refinishing liquid on the doors. My question is: Is there any special treatment I need to do before I repaint them? Other then using a wire brush on the panel bottoms, is there any special advice anyone has for a weekend job. I plan on doing it all in one shot as the POR-15 can says. Is there any rust inhibitor I need to apply or is this product enough? Any advice would be greatly appreciated from anyone who has done this before. My car is black on black so I believe no further painting is required.

uscharalph
09-06-2005, 11:35 AM
"The dealer here at Knauz in Chicago quoted me $78.50 for all four door bottom trims so I jumped the gun and went for it. I am planning on using the POR-15 refinishing liquid on the doors. My question is: Is there any special treatment I need to do before I repaint them? Other then using a wire brush on the panel bottoms, is there any special advice anyone has for a weekend job. I plan on doing it all in one shot as the POR-15 can says. Is there any rust inhibitor I need to apply or is this product enough? Any advice would be greatly appreciated from anyone who has done this before. My car is black on black so I believe no further painting is required."

I'm confused???

Black 535i
09-06-2005, 11:38 AM
... I meant repaint the door panel bottoms inside and out and not the new trim pieces.

"The dealer here at Knauz in Chicago quoted me $78.50 for all four door bottom trims so I jumped the gun and went for it. I am planning on using the POR-15 refinishing liquid on the doors. My question is: Is there any special treatment I need to do before I repaint them? Other then using a wire brush on the panel bottoms, is there any special advice anyone has for a weekend job. I plan on doing it all in one shot as the POR-15 can says. Is there any rust inhibitor I need to apply or is this product enough? Any advice would be greatly appreciated from anyone who has done this before. My car is black on black so I believe no further painting is required."

I'm confused???

Jay 535i
09-06-2005, 11:39 AM
I'm really interested in doing this myself. Please keep us posted.

You said you got four trim pieces. What about the short pieces that go fore of the front doors?

Also, please tell me more about this refinishing liquid.

Black 535i
09-06-2005, 11:46 AM
...there was no visible rust under these or the ones behind the rear doors either. I'll stick with what I can see for now.

I'm really interested in doing this myself. Please keep us posted.

You said you got four trim pieces. What about the short pieces that go fore of the front doors?

Also, please tell me more about this refinishing liquid.

Kalevera
09-06-2005, 05:27 PM
Por-15 is great stuff. You might want to grind or sand the rust out to good metal. You don't theoretically have to do this with a rust converter, but why leave that nastiness down there.

Is there any structural damage to the door, or is it simply rust perforation?

best, whit

632 Regal
09-06-2005, 06:47 PM
yep use the por then prime and paint as usual.

Black 535i
09-07-2005, 03:45 AM
... and a few bubbled areas that are out of plain view.

Por-15 is great stuff. You might want to grind or sand the rust out to good metal. You don't theoretically have to do this with a rust converter, but why leave that nastiness down there.

Is there any structural damage to the door, or is it simply rust perforation?

best, whit

Black 535i
09-17-2005, 04:51 PM
Spent the day today removing the trim pieces. No problem there. Then I took a Dremel to the complete bottom of the door under the trim pieces. Some of the edges and crevasses were so small that only the Dremel would do. Got it all down to the bare metal and have applied the Marine Clean and have thoroughly washed everything. Now I wait until tomorrow to use the etch primer and then the paint. So far so good. BTW, what I did today took 4 hours with a break for one or two wobbly pops in between. Good thing the car is black so the POR-15 gloss black paint will be easy to match with the Prefal spray tool. I will post again tomorrow and let you know how it turned out.

yep use the por then prime and paint as usual.

Black 535i
09-19-2005, 07:14 AM
All looks great after three coats of the POR-15 with about two hours between coats. Hard to tell the difference between the slight overspray and the original body paint. Just have to get a good coat of wax on this before I insall the trim pieces so the UV light does not get to ruin the POR-15 paint. All in all, about 8 hours to do the job properly. The hardest part is the waiting between coats of paint. Worth every minute though as now I do not have to worry about the rust eating the doors away here in the Chicago salt during wintertime. Sorry I had to use the word 'winter'. Maybe this coming weekend I will try to get to some chips on the leading edge of the hood now that I have some experience and confidence.

Spent the day today removing the trim pieces. No problem there. Then I took a Dremel to the complete bottom of the door under the trim pieces. Some of the edges and crevasses were so small that only the Dremel would do. Got it all down to the bare metal and have applied the Marine Clean and have thoroughly washed everything. Now I wait until tomorrow to use the etch primer and then the paint. So far so good. BTW, what I did today took 4 hours with a break for one or two wobbly pops in between. Good thing the car is black so the POR-15 gloss black paint will be easy to match with the Prefal spray tool. I will post again tomorrow and let you know how it turned out.

uscharalph
09-19-2005, 08:42 AM
All looks great after three coats of the POR-15 with about two hours between coats. Hard to tell the difference between the slight overspray and the original body paint. Just have to get a good coat of wax on this before I insall the trim pieces so the UV light does not get to ruin the POR-15 paint. All in all, about 8 hours to do the job properly. The hardest part is the waiting between coats of paint. Worth every minute though as now I do not have to worry about the rust eating the doors away here in the Chicago salt during wintertime. Sorry I had to use the word 'winter'. Maybe this coming weekend I will try to get to some chips on the leading edge of the hood now that I have some experience and confidence.
Congrats!

scott540
09-19-2005, 05:39 PM
Anybody ever do this on a 540 or newer 525 where the trim pieces are body colored? I know the parts are a lot more and a body shop would need to paint them for me but any other thoughts?