PDA

View Full Version : Brake light problem

Craig in Davis
09-04-2005, 03:41 PM
I am sure this took me way too long, but I figured out how to find the bulb that is causing the message. At first I assumed it was the switch since all the bulbs were lighting and were Osram silver base bulbs. I should have known better than to assume. At any rate I ended up putting jumpers in the brake switch connector to always have the brake lights activated bypassing the switch. Still got the brake light error so it wasn't the switch. Oh well, if was fun to pull the switch...NOT. Well in the end I learned something.

Here it is. With the brake lights on, disconnect one of the brake light bulbs. If the chime sounds that bulb is good. If the chime is silent that bulb is bad. Once the chime sounds you need to turn the key off then back on in order to test another bulb. A little bit of a pain but it helped me figure out that the 3rd brake light bulb was the cause of my brake light error message.

Now to put the brake switch back together and put the underdash panels back together. Then it will be time for a beer.

632 Regal
09-04-2005, 03:52 PM
what was wrong with the bulb? didnt light? wrong ohms?

Kalevera
09-04-2005, 04:25 PM
I am sure this took me way too long, but I figured out how to find the bulb that is causing the message. At first I assumed it was the switch since all the bulbs were lighting and were Osram silver base bulbs. I should have known better than to assume. At any rate I ended up putting jumpers in the brake switch connector to always have the brake lights activated bypassing the switch. Still got the brake light error so it wasn't the switch. Oh well, if was fun to pull the switch...NOT. Well in the end I learned something.

Here it is. With the brake lights on, disconnect one of the brake light bulbs. If the chime sounds that bulb is good. If the chime is silent that bulb is bad. Once the chime sounds you need to turn the key off then back on in order to test another bulb. A little bit of a pain but it helped me figure out that the 3rd brake light bulb was the cause of my brake light error message.

Now to put the brake switch back together and put the underdash panels back together. Then it will be time for a beer.
Why not just have someone stand back there and look while you press the brake pedal? :D

I mean, I know that corrosion at the bulb bases can cause higher resistance, therefore the error message, but...

best, whit

632 Regal
09-04-2005, 05:06 PM
ever try this by yourself? It is challanging.

Why not just have someone stand back there and look while you press the brake pedal? :D

I mean, I know that corrosion at the bulb bases can cause higher resistance, therefore the error message, but...

best, whit

Kalevera
09-04-2005, 05:12 PM
ever try this by yourself? It is challanging.

Jeff, actually - yes, I've done it plenty of times. I usually use a screwdriver or a hood prop to hold the brake pedal down.

best, whit

Alexlind123
09-04-2005, 05:26 PM
or you could park in the garage and be able to see the lights clearly on the garage door if the lights are off in the garage.

Craig in Davis
09-04-2005, 09:51 PM
Damn if I know. It was the right type, Osram silver base, it was working but it was triggering an error. I tried cleaning the contacts but that didn't help.

Craig in Davis
09-04-2005, 09:52 PM

best, whit

I had already verified the lights were working but I was still getting an error message.

Craig in Davis
09-04-2005, 09:54 PM
Now that it is dark it is easy to test by yourself. My garage is full with other cars. As I said the lights were lighting up but the error was caused by the center brake light bulb which as best I can tell is perfectly ok but the car electronics thought otherwise.

uscharalph
09-04-2005, 11:43 PM
Jeff, actually - yes, I've done it plenty of times. I usually use a screwdriver or a hood prop to hold the brake pedal down.

best, whit
I've used a golf club braced between the seat and the brake pedal.

BobHarris
09-05-2005, 02:24 PM
I take it this is the same sort of thing as my "lic. plate light" error?

Cheers

Bob

Paul in NZ
09-06-2005, 02:36 AM
short 2x3 and electric front seat = brake pedal activator ;)

632 Regal
09-06-2005, 02:41 AM
the depo clear tails are the worst with poor connections. Had to mess with one this weekend, took about 25 minutes and my kid (Sal) was getting a bit bored with the process. The bulb sockets dont really make a good connection with the housing, at least as compared to stock.