PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting an used e34 oil cooler for the car evenutally. A simple question.

BigKriss
09-04-2005, 03:36 AM
I'm reading one book "Forced Induction - Performance Tuning" by Graeme Bell. If anyone one wants to know about turbocharging their engine, this this book is a must read. Anyway, it reads verbatim on page 393 - "Oil coolers are impossible to clean out, so do not purchase a used oil cooler. It could be full of dirt or bearing material". Problem is i'm getting a used one. Is what Mr Bell is saying true or not. Can i get a used one cleaned out? I assume I could, no experience here though.

Paul in NZ
09-04-2005, 03:59 AM
short of getting the thing pulled to bits i can imagine it would be almost imossible,after all they are like a radiator...how do you clean all those tubes,without taking the tanks off????

niall
09-04-2005, 03:59 AM
my advice, buy a new one

632 Regal
09-04-2005, 05:08 AM
My advice, you dont need one if your running synthetic...the oil will NOT break down which is in the most part the reason for a cooler.

emw525E34
09-04-2005, 05:24 AM
Kris, you don't need one if your engine is still NA. I thrashed my M20 on the track all day with Mobil-1, the oil temp never really got over the top. Big Six oil pump is bigger and as long as your lines are good, it should be fine.

BigKriss
09-04-2005, 05:33 AM
Sometimes I think ahead of myself too much. I should install a oil temperature gauge first, and see how high the temp is actually getting.

Robin-535im
09-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Sometimes I think ahead of myself too much. I should install a oil temperature gauge first, and see how high the temp is actually getting.
I've got an oil temp gauge that plugs into the drain plug. It's very enlightening to see how vastly different the temperature of the oil is from the water.

RPM's and driving style can make a huge difference in oil temp. And it takes a lot longer for the oil to warm up than the water... I try not to goose it until the oil warms up, which is usually 5 minutes more driving after the water reaches operating temp.

I vote for the oil cooler. Not that your engine will sieze without it, just that wear increases with oil temp and if you're on the track, you're probably pushing it way past the original performance design limit for a street-driven BMW.

stx133
09-05-2005, 05:30 PM
oil pressure is a good indication of what your oil is actually doing, when cold the pressure is high, normal opperating it should be fairly constant, too hot and the pressure drops off.

it is possible to wash out, set up a recirculating pumped circuit with suitable degreasing solvents or whatever in it let it run (with heat) for a few hours, rinse and repeat..... flow forwards and backwards to ensure a good wash. time comsuming and messy but can save you some $$$