PDA

View Full Version : '92 Touring - hatch pistons for rear glass

jdt10768
08-29-2005, 01:33 PM
Anyone have a procedure for replacement of the 2 pistons that hold the rear glass hatch open on a 1992 525i Touring wagon?

ScottyWM
08-29-2005, 01:40 PM
Need to do a search. I've done it and written a short instruction couple years ago, but I started with a longer instruction I found here. Let me know if you come up empty, I might have saved it somewhere. (I was just talking about this with BillB!)

What's the matter, tired of getting hit on the head?!?!

uscharalph
08-29-2005, 01:41 PM
What's the matter, tired of getting hit on the head?!?!

LOL!

Bill R.
08-29-2005, 02:08 PM
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/Touringhatchstruts.jpg
Anyone have a procedure for replacement of the 2 pistons that hold the rear glass hatch open on a 1992 525i Touring wagon?

jdt10768
08-29-2005, 03:07 PM
The old 'special tool' huh. Thank you for the quick replies. Anyone know about the special tool, and how much it costs? jt

emw525E34
08-30-2005, 02:51 AM
The trunk lid shocks are very hard to get at!. They are inside the roof crevices and that special tool is needed. I got the $tealer to install these and it too 3 hours of work units. But works perfectly. I would not recommend a DIY on this as you might find out that after all that work to get the old shocks out, you might NOT be able to fit the new ones in and had to "limp" back to the $tealer and beg him to install the confounded shocks.

The lower shocks are fully exposed and an easy replacement!.

Mike H
08-30-2005, 05:33 AM
The old 'special tool' huh. Thank you for the quick replies. Anyone know about the special tool, and how much it costs? jt

It costs about $5. :p I was able to use a nice long flat bladed screw driver to pop them off and back on. I was all geared up for an afternoon of struggling and was done in less than 30 minutes start to finish.

ScottyWM
08-30-2005, 09:57 AM
Disagree - thought it was quite easy. Just used the long screwdriver also with the write up. A lot of us tourings have done it ourselves. Search here and roadflea and you'll find lots who've done it.

Now replacing the microfilter... that sucks! But don't get me started on that AGAIN!