PDA

View Full Version : rusting like crazy

McWatters
08-27-2005, 12:05 PM
Hey there

Does anyone know what the bottom black trim on you um side skirts are called

[IMG]http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/12/web/2088000-2088999/2088933_6_full.jpg

I know that there is a crap load of rust on the area closest to the front wheel well.

Im really worried bout the long time effect, any idears what i should do, and where can i get new trim or side skirts cause i really hate that black trim.

Cheers. McWatters

Kalevera
08-27-2005, 12:43 PM
McWatters my man:

http://www.bmw4life.com/mTechSkirts.htm

As for the lower door trims (actual name), they should be in group 41 or 51 in ETK.

You'd be impressed -- the only areas that really rust on the E34 are around those trims, the lower rear part of the front fenders, and sometimes around the rear quarter panel and trunk. These cars have excellent rust protection underneath, and it takes a lot to kill one.

There are a few ways to approach the current rust. I'd get some POR-15 rust convertor for the non visible areas and paint them with it. Visible areas should be sanded down, body mudded (accordingly/if necessary), and then primed and painted.

More on skirts and such/where to find them in my article above... The rust issues should be dealt with before installing skirts, anyway.

best, whit

tim s
08-27-2005, 01:05 PM
my trunk mounted battery in my e30 blew-up & i did not clean it up for 2 days. all it did was dulled the finished.
it also has rust around a dent i did not fix since i purchased the car 5 years ago & it did not spread.
tim s.

jim
08-27-2005, 02:06 PM
Common problem, same thing happened to me lately. The black trim pieces just behind the wheels are attached with clips and just pry them off to remove. You probably won't find any car rust under them, it's just the trim rusting away. The pieces under each door will also pry off by hand. Just pull down from the back end and work your way to the front of the door. Again, probably no vehicle rust underneath, but fix it if there is..I got replacement parts from Patrick at bma. One more thing, on the door panels, there was a silicon-looking bead on the inside top portion of the trim. I suspect it has to do with water drainage, so you will want to note its location and also replace. Give me a yell or pm if you need anymore help and good luck.
Jim

Jay 535i
08-27-2005, 04:49 PM
As for the lower door trims (actual name), they should be in group 41 or 51 in ETK.

What does that mean, exactly? I need some of those too. Is installation easy?

Kalevera
08-27-2005, 04:55 PM
What does that mean, exactly? I need some of those too. Is installation easy?
Jaybaby....Ah, just that the part numbers can likely be found in one of those two groups in the ETK parts catalog. Group 41 is bodywork, 51 is body trim. It's *probably* in 41, as the doors and related mechanisms are in there. Having the part number makes Patrick a happy guy when one calls to make an order. It also assures that you get what you wanted and facilitates price shopping.

The black trims are a one-time-only install item. Just pop them on and they're set. Don't take them off until they need to be replaced again :)

best, whit

Jay 535i
08-27-2005, 04:58 PM
Jaybaby....Ah, just that the part numbers can likely be found in one of those two groups in the ETK parts catalog. Group 41 is bodywork, 51 is body trim. It's *probably* in 41, as the doors and related mechanisms are in there. Having the part number makes Patrick a happy guy when one calls to make an order. It also assures that you get what you wanted and facilitates price shopping.

The black trims are a one-time-only install item. Just pop them on and they're set. Don't take them off until they need to be replaced again :)

best, whit

Sounds good. I take it you're referring to Patrick at BMA -- the oft praised man I've not yet spoken to. Time to reach out and touch someone...

Whitbaby, you're the man :)

genphreak
08-27-2005, 07:56 PM
I note the post about the silicon bead on the lower door trim (thanks Jim) however it'd be nice to know what this (factory?) 'silicon style' stuff actually is- silicon is unliklely as it is not good stuff to use directly on bodywork as rust invariably ensues.. I'll check mine out shortly and add my 2c worth... :) GP

Dan in NZ
08-27-2005, 08:32 PM
If you don't like the black ones, you can get body colour! Then just paint the side skirts to match, and you've got a whole new look... See my pic for painted skirts. My lower door trims are actually just black ones, painted. The paint has started to chip after 3-4 years around the opening edge, but the proper ones should be fine.

philbyil
08-28-2005, 08:52 AM
Regarding the bottom door edge trim......GET THEM OFF NOW!!!
Do not let them sit on your car as the rust will transfer on to the doors themselves.
Order them from BMA........but BEFORE you put the new ones on, make sure you remove ANY traces of rust from the door bottoms.