PDA

View Full Version : Radio input

pyro
08-20-2005, 01:57 AM
Hope this isn't a re post... Is there anyway to hard wire a mp3 player(ipod) to the factory deck like is there aux inputs like from the cd changer. I already have a power supply circuit in mind just need to get ipod to hook up... thanks for any help also another quick q? I saw somewhere where someone intregrated his garage door remote w/ the factory cellphone wiring harnis so you can open the garage by pushing in on one of the controlls.

bimmerd00d
08-20-2005, 08:23 AM
Check out some of the current interfaces from www.soundgate.com. I'm not sure if they offer one that works on the e34, they do have them for e38, e39, and e46.

ericcamaro
08-20-2005, 12:12 PM
you can always get the thing that hooks up to the ipod that broadcasts its output to a certain radio frequency, much easyer and cheaper.

Jay 535i
08-20-2005, 05:25 PM
you can always get the thing that hooks up to the ipod that broadcasts its output to a certain radio frequency, much easyer and cheaper.

Those kinda blow, but I use a tape deck adapter with my iPod and get great results.

With some fiddling, it is possible to wire your iPod such that it fools the deck into thinking it's a CD changer. You'd have to forego your changer, of course. Google it and you should find something.

If you have a tape deck, I really recommend just using a tape adapter, which will set you back $20. Sure, the audiophiles will tell you the sound will suck, but it sounds great to me. A car's interior is such a lousy acoustic space anyway...

uscharalph
08-20-2005, 06:10 PM
Those FM Modulator systems just don't cut it. The PO had a cd changer hooked up that way and at least I could play CDs. I bought a Pioneer CDX-M30 that plugged directly into the Pioneer KE-83ZBM headunit and there is no comparison. It is just so clean sounding.

rickm
08-20-2005, 06:54 PM
jay, I've used one of the cassette adapters for several months, the sound is pretty good. I tried one of the FM transmitters, it didn't cut it. The cool thing about the transmitters is no wires but the sound suffered, even out here in BFE. The moment I hit Atlanta I was digging through the glovebox for the cassette adapter anyway.

My next purchase will be one of the dash mounted units that has a mini jack up front OR one in the back that I can snake up by the e brake since I keep my iPod in the little "box" between the seats anyway.

Cambridge
08-20-2005, 06:54 PM
But no one seems to make one. I have the factory installed trunk mounted CD changer and it works great, but I was looking for some way to hook up an iPod. I also wanted the iPod to show some info through my dash annunciator like my CD Changer does. When I did my search it seemed that at one time there were hints that some vendor was planning something for the E34, but lately all those hints have dried up.

Perhaps since the E34 has now been out of production for a decade, most vendors have moved their focus on to newer BMW models. At one point I was thinking of designing a circuit to interface an iPod to the E34. I wonder how large a market exists for folks that wish to wire an iPod into a stock E34 system?

Jay 535i
08-20-2005, 10:48 PM
But no one seems to make one. I have the factory installed trunk mounted CD changer and it works great, but I was looking for some way to hook up an iPod. I also wanted the iPod to show some info through my dash annunciator like my CD Changer does. When I did my search it seemed that at one time there were hints that some vendor was planning something for the E34, but lately all those hints have dried up.

Perhaps since the E34 has now been out of production for a decade, most vendors have moved their focus on to newer BMW models. At one point I was thinking of designing a circuit to interface an iPod to the E34. I wonder how large a market exists for folks that wish to wire an iPod into a stock E34 system?

Not much, I wouldn't think. Aftermarket head units are becoming increasingly more iPod-friendly. Alpine currently makes some head units that will interface seamlessly with an iPod, displaying the track info on the head unit display and enabling you to operate the iPod through the head unit's controls. See here: http://www.alpine-usa.com/products/leading_technology/leading_tech_kca-420i.htm

There are disadvantages with the Alpine units, though. First of all, I'm not impressed with Alpine's products in general.

Secondly, I think the units are limited to reading something like the first 300 tracks on your iPod. So, if you have 3000 tracks like I do, you only get to hear songs that start with the letters A through C. :( You gotta read the fine print really closely to find that out. However, things might be changing. These products seem to improve and adapt to consumer demand pretty rapidly.

Thirdly, in a premium car like a BMW I'm highly disinclined to remove the stock head unit, just because it looks like it belongs. To each his own, though. New BMWs come with the option of an in-built iPod connection in the glovebox. Perhaps something like that could be retrofitted to an E34 -- at substantial cost, no doubt.

Then there's what I suggested earlier: rig up the iPod to act as a CD changer. I'm not sure exactly how to do it, but I know it can be done (provided your head unit supports a changer) and it would give you the best possible combination of sound quality and usability, IMHO. Here's how some guy did it with his Boxster: http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/ipod/ Should be much the same for any car.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

pyro
08-21-2005, 12:28 AM

I would be willing to go in halves with you on costs to make such a thing... Group buy?

Jay 535i
08-21-2005, 01:09 AM
I would be willing to go in halves with you on costs to make such a thing... Group buy?

Heck, count me in.

pyro
08-21-2005, 01:20 AM
my question is one how does the head unit tell disk changer next song and 2 how does the ipod know when to change songs? what i was thinking is one of those headphone controllers for the ipod (little square thing that has 4 buttons) and use that w/ possibly a relay or some circuit that when the BMW's head unit says next disk itl close the circuit on that little controller.

vader1
08-21-2005, 02:14 AM
Hi there Payro

Maybe this wiring can help you....(attached)
the cell input is leg no 4 (brown/black)but it is normally to create a mute function, you can modified it by using a relay or something and divert it to control your remote control.

Dan in NZ
08-21-2005, 05:39 AM
Hypothesis for a quick and dirty solution.

You know how the radio outputs a sound signal to the factory amp... You could possibly connect the headphone output from the ipod to the radio input of the factory amp. Then just use one of those radio controlled ipod remote things to control it, or run the wire to the center console and just use the ipod.

Of course then your factory radio would just be turned off when you weren't using it. Would be a simple solution, just tap into the wiring running to the amp, and you could stash the plug in the glovebox.

It's highly likely that the output from the ipod is wrong for the amp, but you could always build a simple amp aswell.

Jay 535i
08-21-2005, 10:28 AM
my question is one how does the head unit tell disk changer next song and 2 how does the ipod know when to change songs? what i was thinking is one of those headphone controllers for the ipod (little square thing that has 4 buttons) and use that w/ possibly a relay or some circuit that when the BMW's head unit says next disk itl close the circuit on that little controller.

I dunno, and that may not be possible. With what I was suggesting, you'd still have to use the interface on the iPod to select your tracks.

pyro
09-22-2005, 01:12 PM
Would anyone happen to have the pinout of the cd changer cable or a wireing diagram of that? I bought a 12v adapter for the ipod and its SIMPLE so if i can figure out the pinouts to the cd changer i wouln't mind makeing a simple schmatic and help people build them.

JD525IA
09-22-2005, 01:55 PM
Couldn't you simply splice into the pins 1, 2, 3, & 4 and use a 4 pole switch or relay to go between the CD changer signal and the iPod / mp3 player signal.

http://www.cambridgebrands.com/1995-540i-cd-changer/bmwpio-adapters.php

Of course the tuner selection would have to be set to 'CD' and the iPod / mp3 player would have to be controlled right at the device and not from the deck (like with the CD). A nice toggle switch or button used with a 4 pole, double throw (12VDC) relay could be slick.

I have a RCA Lyra 1080 with a 1GB SD chip (nearly 600 songs) and I would love to find a cleaner way to use it with my car than the tape adapter.

Since this radio system used M-bus, it is a lot harder to use the deck for control without making an inteface box ($$).

pyro
09-22-2005, 07:45 PM
SIIIICK THANK YOU !!!! just what i was looking for... Im going o play around with that tomrarow along with my disk erroring cd changer...

xphilter
09-22-2005, 07:52 PM
damn, i wish you guys would have been doin this a month ago....i just bought the pioneer stuff....it sounds great, but i do like the stock look. it'll be cool to see what you guys come up with tho.

olsan100
09-23-2005, 06:18 AM
Did this idea ever pan out for anyone?

pyro
09-23-2005, 07:03 AM
pan out?

Alexlind123
09-23-2005, 07:11 AM
pan out?

As in develop.

pyro
09-23-2005, 07:21 AM
oooo well im just goingt to play with the pinouts for now and see if its eazy but knowing all projects its never ez

olsan100
09-23-2005, 08:02 AM
ha ha.. yeah, one of "those" projects. Funny.