PDA

View Full Version : F/fog

mzarifkar
08-13-2005, 09:30 PM
I have this code on the dash, had it forever, its says something like F/Foglight

Heres what i think is up, The previous owner, switched the front side marker connector with the foglight connector, i noticed the sidemarker connecter was a 90degree angled one, which would seem fitting on a fog. Could this be it?
Whenever the lights are on citylights or "night" lights, the fogs are always on.

I would really like to use my dash the way it was intended, reading stuff off of the computer, not looking at the error.
Thanks
M

Kalevera
08-13-2005, 11:19 PM
Screwed up LKM or simply a bad bulb. Perhaps a case of nasty connectors in need of conditioning. The fog lights do work, yes?

best, whit

digitaldragon03
08-14-2005, 01:31 AM
That also shows up on my dash but my fogs still work.

632 Regal
08-14-2005, 05:54 AM
I just hate ANY damn messages on the dash...right along with the gong of death.

mzarifkar
08-14-2005, 03:44 PM
The fogs both work, however they are not controlled by the foglight switch, they come on with the main lights.
what is a LKM?

632 Regal
08-14-2005, 04:51 PM
with the fog switch off? I mean the switch makes no change when the headlights are on?

The fogs both work, however they are not controlled by the foglight switch, they come on with the main lights.
what is a LKM?

Kalevera
08-14-2005, 06:18 PM
LKM is the lamp control module. Sounds like someone rewired your lights when in fact the LKM just started to go south. Never let a redneck mechanic touch one of these cars. I could rattle your ear off with horror stories. Don't even get me started on dealer techs. Hard to say though, on a '95.

Was the car previously owned by a boy racer? That'd explain everything :D

Now, on the original post: the fog lamp harness has right angle connectors. Marker lights are straight plugs.

Read bmwe34.net on the LKM.

best, whit

demi
08-15-2005, 01:12 PM
I have the same problem. The two fog lights come on BUT My dash shows the Licence plate light and Fog light problems. I have changed the lic plate light bulb but still the right one does not work?. Any clues please?

Thanks guys!

ukm5
08-15-2005, 03:37 PM
if the wires dont go to where they are supposed to, ie your previous owner rewired it then how do you expect the computer to keep up with where it is and how to check it, you answered your own question, fix the wiring back to spec and start from there

ask a silly question....

granit_silber
08-15-2005, 03:50 PM
What's your problem???

Every response you post comes across as "Holier-Than-Thou" and makes you sound like a huge jerk. This is a place for ALL of us to ask questions. (there are NO silly questions).
Did you ever stop to consider that mzarifkar might be new to fixing his(or her) own vehicle and has no idea what the lighting harness should look like? One of the awesome qualities about the members of bimmer.info is the patience they have with newer members that are just experiencing the joys and sorrows of owning an e34 for the first time.
-ashley

ukm5
08-15-2005, 03:56 PM
he said "The previous owner, switched the front side marker connector with the foglight connector" so please explain to me acyre how this person has no idea what the wiring harness looks like. Seems to me you are the jerk, and dont insult me again thanks

granit_silber
08-15-2005, 04:06 PM
Seems to me you are the jerk, and dont insult me again thanks

I didn't insult you.

What I said was your responses make you sound like a big jerk. What that means is that you MIGHT NOT BE a big jerk but that you are coming across as one (the tone of your messages). Just something to think about as you post.

However, if you want to be a big jerk in your posts then by all means...be one.

-ashley

and dont insult me again
or what???

:D

ukm5
08-15-2005, 04:12 PM
acyre, dont skirt the issue, you made a direct point that, i quote "Did you ever stop to consider that mzarifkar might be new to fixing his(or her) own vehicle and has no idea what the lighting harness should look like?" where as if you read what the poster said, which was, "The previous owner, switched the front side marker connector with the foglight connector, i noticed the sidemarker connecter was a 90degree angled one, which would seem fitting on a fog." i was complety correct in assuming they knew what it looked like.

Now my advise was to put it back to standard so as the LKM can check the bulbs as its supposed to do which will stop the error, i pointed out to them that it was understandable that the lkm would say there was an error if the wires no longer went from the LKM to the fog light, which im sure all readers will agree makes sense

you did insult me as you suggested that i dont read things properly before making a comment

granit_silber
08-15-2005, 04:47 PM
acyre, dont skirt the issue, you made a direct point that, i quote "Did you ever stop to consider that mzarifkar might be new to fixing his(or her) own vehicle and has no idea what the lighting harness should look like?" where as if you read what the poster said, which was, "The previous owner, switched the front side marker connector with the foglight connector, i noticed the sidemarker connecter was a 90degree angled one, which would seem fitting on a fog." i was complety correct in assuming they knew what it looked like.

Now my advise was to put it back to standard so as the LKM can check the bulbs as its supposed to do which will stop the error, i pointed out to them that it was understandable that the lkm would say there was an error if the wires no longer went from the LKM to the fog light, which im sure all readers will agree makes sense

you did insult me as you suggested that i dont read things properly before making a comment

If you written your response as such. It wouldn't have prompted my reply. THAT was my point.
-ashley

ukm5
08-15-2005, 04:52 PM
seeing as your parents raised you to be a man of integrity that knows when he's made a mistake and to make amends when possible, then id like your appology for insulting my inteligence

thats what he wrote on a previous post!

practice what you preach my friend

632 Regal
08-15-2005, 05:12 PM
heads are gonna roll...

I am the official ******* on here! You cant take that away from me...

granit_silber
08-15-2005, 05:12 PM
then id like your appology for insulting my inteligence
When I see some I will do such.

thats what he wrote on a previous post!
Yep, I sure did and I stand by it

practice what you preach
I do...everyday.

ukm5,

We are obviously not going to meet in middle and agree on this. I stand by everything I have said to you today. My point still stands that the tone of your responses was gruff and belittling. Since, you cannot concede that your words COULD have carried that tone, there is no further action that I will take in this situation. I wish you well and hope that you continue to enjoy your M5 for many years to come.
I am now finished hijacking this thread.
-ashley

ukm5
08-15-2005, 05:17 PM
i may be missing something here but you did make a statment in your thread that was complete and utter rubbish which was a comple contradiction of what the poster said, ie that he doesnt know what the wiring looks like, whereas if you read what he says, he states he does know!

call me a jerk all you like but the readers of this im sure can track that you are covering up your mistake by uttering other rubbish

Kalevera
08-15-2005, 05:37 PM
heads are gonna roll...

I am the official ******* on here! You cant take that away from me...
No wonder the ladies love you!!! :D

best, whit

ukm5
08-15-2005, 05:41 PM
thats ok you can be the ******* and ill be the jerk

any more offers?

rickm
08-15-2005, 06:37 PM
Ladies, please. Save it for elsewhere.

mzarifkar
08-16-2005, 03:14 PM
lol i thought it was 3 pages of how to fix it.
In my defense, i like to gather as much information about something before i start working on my car, if my "stupid question" in some way offends your intelligence, feel free to ignore the post.
M

ukm5
08-16-2005, 04:18 PM
lol i thought it was 3 pages of how to fix it.
In my defense, i like to gather as much information about something before i start working on my car, if my "stupid question" in some way offends your intelligence, feel free to ignore the post.
M

yes it was stupid, the wires for the fog have been cut off and replaced with the wires that come from the sidelights and now thw computer says that the fog light is out and you wonder what the problem is....

mzarifkar
08-16-2005, 08:05 PM
yes it was stupid, the wires for the fog have been cut off and replaced with the wires that come from the sidelights and now thw computer says that the fog light is out and you wonder what the problem is....

All I needed to know was if the angled connectors belonged to the sidemarkers or fogs, i got my answer, some other possible causes, and an insight in your attitude.