PDA

View Full Version : Stock CD changer armrest mount (pics)

Dave M
08-10-2005, 09:29 AM
Went by my upholsterer Frank on a whim and asked whether he would modify the rear armrest to accomodate the stack alpine changer (I've seen this mod here at least once). One day and $100 Can. later he said it was ready to go. Seeing as he helped fix both my rear door panels for free, I didn't mind paying the $$. Plus, I'm not very good with a sewing machine :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/cd_mount_1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/cd_mount_2.jpg

Just finished fishing the wiring through and hooking it all up.

Just thought I'd share, beats stopping to change a cd,

Dave

bimmerd00d
08-10-2005, 09:42 AM
awesome!

JonE
08-10-2005, 11:57 AM
Cool, does it play in either position, up or down? How did you decide to have it open on that side, or is your car RHD?

uscharalph
08-10-2005, 12:10 PM
Cool. I didn't think one of the wider type cd changers could be put there, but you did it!

Dave M
08-10-2005, 12:29 PM
Cool, does it play in either position, up or down? How did you decide to have it open on that side, or is your car RHD?

Hey Jon,

Car is LHD, but when toying with the idea, I sat in the drivers seat and actually had an easier time wrapping my arm around the pass side of the arm rest to pop out the 'virtual' casette. In this position, the cables exit through the rear drivers corner of the arm rest and can be fed out a corner of the ski bag to the trunk.

It does play in the upright position, but I rarely carry five passengers, so it will most often be in use horizontally. The fit was tight, but very do-able. There's plently of padded material around the entire unit.

Dave M

granit_silber
08-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Awesome!

-ashley

1995 525i
08-10-2005, 02:51 PM
Went by my upholsterer Frank on a whim and asked whether he would modify the rear armrest to accomodate the stack alpine changer (I've seen this mod here at least once). One day and $100 Can. later he said it was ready to go. Seeing as he helped fix both my rear door panels for free, I didn't mind paying the $$. Plus, I'm not very good with a sewing machine :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/cd_mount_1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/dave_macisaac/Bimmer/cd_mount_2.jpg

Dave

Very Nice!

dacoyote
08-10-2005, 03:46 PM

Dave

Very Nice....

Brian C.
08-10-2005, 04:06 PM
I'd say that's one of the best DIY or "homemade" mods I've seen yet for the E34. I know many have spoken about the mini-fridge in the past, but even though it would be a fun thing to be able to brag about, the CD changer wins hands down for everyday usability. Cab you still use a ski-bag now? You said the cables went through there, but you didn't say if you actually had a ski bag installed. Definately put pics in the archives section. Again, great job..........even though you only really paid for it! :p It WAS your idea! ;)

Brian C.

Dave M
08-10-2005, 07:03 PM
I'd say that's one of the best DIY or "homemade" mods I've seen yet for the E34. I know many have spoken about the mini-fridge in the past, but even though it would be a fun thing to be able to brag about, the CD changer wins hands down for everyday usability. Cab you still use a ski-bag now? You said the cables went through there, but you didn't say if you actually had a ski bag installed. Definately put pics in the archives section. Again, great job..........even though you only really paid for it! :p It WAS your idea! ;)

Brian C.

Thanks Brian,

It was a very spontaneous mod, inspired by an upcoming road trip. The ski bag is installed and remains fully operational. Only a very small notch was made in the plastic frame of the bag to allow the cables free passage to the trunk.

Dave M