PDA

View Full Version : Found crumbled crankcase vent hose

COWBOYSAGE
08-07-2005, 02:29 PM
Everytime it rains or like yesterday after washing my 1993 525it coughs and stalls upon trying to start. I looked under hood today and found what my manual labels crankcase ventilation hose is all crumbled. It is completely cracked and I can not determine where the smaller hose off the coupler goes. I searched previous posts and only found info on the vent hose that meets back up with the air boot. Anyone know where this smaller hose goes or its name or function?
Thanks

ScottyWM
08-07-2005, 02:42 PM
Yeah, if it's the one I'm thinking of it goes into the back of the intake. You won't be able to see it, and you may not even be able to stick your hand in their and feel it if you arm is too big. I had to jam my left arm back there as far as it would go to connect the other end.

Oh, another thing, it didn't make any difference in my car's performance at all. It wasn't doing anything wrong before, putting on a new hose made no difference.

Is it this one?

http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/96/96274/folders/98321/766183Hose.jpg

COWBOYSAGE
08-07-2005, 02:50 PM
Yes you got it. Are there any pics of what the back of the intake looks like? Or ust a little direction in where to jam my hand??

ScottyWM
08-07-2005, 03:06 PM
Just follow the direction the hose is going in the picture under the intake manifold. I put my arm in there up to my elbow, and could just barely feel where it connects. Then you might be able to shine a flashlight in there and get a glimpse of it. I think the nipple points to the front, but am not sure. I looked in my Bentley's real quick but don't see a picture at the other end.

Now, why would rain or washing cause stumbling? Damned if I know. A vacuum leak maybe?

Jon K
08-07-2005, 03:49 PM
Just follow the direction the hose is going in the picture under the intake manifold. I put my arm in there up to my elbow, and could just barely feel where it connects. Then you might be able to shine a flashlight in there and get a glimpse of it. I think the nipple points to the front, but am not sure. I looked in my Bentley's real quick but don't see a picture at the other end.

Now, why would rain or washing cause stumbling? Damned if I know. A vacuum leak maybe?

If your crankcase hose is not hooked up or has a hole in it, that will cause a bad running motor because it is in the induction line after the MAF, which will be sucking in UNMETERED air through the crank case hole.

COWBOYSAGE
08-07-2005, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the info....getting new hoses now and wish me luck!

emw525E34
08-08-2005, 11:57 PM
Hi Scotty, good picture. The other hose behind (with metal clamp), where does it end up ?. Mine was dangling downwards months ago.

I just look around from below the car when it was up on ramps and saw a connector near the elbow. A sort of T-joint thing nipple. I twisted it in the direction towards the front of the car and stick the other end of this dangling hose there. Was that right ?.
My case, it did NOT make a damn difference also, if the hose were out or in!.

uscharalph
08-09-2005, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the info....getting new hoses now and wish me luck!
Good luck! That's why I love this board. A guy's got a problem with his car and thanks to this board he's got his solution.

Qsilver7
08-09-2005, 02:07 PM
Yes you got it. Are there any pics of what the back of the intake looks like? Or ust a little direction in where to jam my hand??
If you click the following link to the online parts database...look at item #9 (which is shown "outside" of the intake manifold so that you can see it)...the other end of the hose gets connected to the small "tube" thingy sticking out of the left side of the connector in the pic. When you reach your arm (hopefully it's small and thin :p ) down thru the intake manifold...you should be able to feel this connector (or shine a light down there).

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HJ63&mospid=47414&btnr=11_1124&hg=11&fg=40