PDA

View Full Version : Random Beeping Noise

Deleter
07-31-2005, 07:44 PM
There is a random beeping noise that occurs. I have no idea what it means. It dosen't always make the same noise and what I mean by that is that the beeps are longer or fewer between each other. Anyone have any ideas??
Its 1992 if that helps.

Kalevera
07-31-2005, 08:47 PM
Where does the beep come from? Under the driver's side dash (gong)? Sound system?

Need a bit more info: where you are in the world/whether the car has OBC/model.

best, whit

Deleter
07-31-2005, 08:56 PM
I Live in california. And noise seems like its coming from under the dash.

BigKriss
07-31-2005, 09:00 PM
i used to get these noises also. it comes from the speaker underneath the steering wheel. The key would be in the "on" position and I would get a 2000hz drone all the time, untill I started the car, or put it back to the off position. I disconnected the speaker. I don't know whats going on.

Deleter
07-31-2005, 09:55 PM
The noise only happens when I'm driving.

uscharalph
08-01-2005, 01:34 AM
Its not you OBC is it?

Deleter
08-01-2005, 01:57 AM
I never had a problem with On Board Computer before. Nothing elese changed. No warning messages. Just Beeps. Some times it beeps once time all day. Some times dosen't beep for a few days.

BigKriss
08-01-2005, 03:39 AM
unplug it

Paul in NZ
08-01-2005, 04:43 AM
does it happen at a certain speed??Maybe you have the "LIMIT" or the hourly chimes??

Dan in NZ
08-01-2005, 05:14 AM
Faulty door switches can also trigger the "door open" message, just for a moment. Could be that it's registering a door open, and sounding the gong.

pundit
08-01-2005, 07:32 AM
Mine beeps when the outside temp drops to 3 degrees celcius!

tnt525i
08-01-2005, 07:47 AM
maybe its your clock, you might have the hourly chime on

Qsilver7
08-01-2005, 08:25 AM
Wait...I'm so confused ... can we establish a baseline of warning sounds? :D

If we can narrow down if its his OBC or Check Control system...it may help. Let's conclude that the:

* OBC - "beeps" or "pips"
* Check Control System - "dings" or "chimes"

If the OBC is beeping (as others have stated) check to see if the hourly chime is set (there will be a small icon illuminated in the far right of the OBC's LCD display). This feature will give 3 beeps 15 seconds before each hour. Or check the OBC's LIMIT feature to see if you (or someone else) has set a speed limit warning

If the Check Control System is "dinging"...press the button on the right side of the instr cluster to see if a warning will show up in the Check Control Display.

This is the OBC display from an e38...but the hourly chime icon is the same on the e34's OBC. It is the icon directly to the right of "MLS" in the pic below that looks like a sideways Xmas tree. Check to see if this icon is illuminated in your OBC display.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/433000-433999/433594_119_full.jpg

uscharalph
08-01-2005, 10:40 AM
Q's got this problem on the right approach.

Deleter
08-01-2005, 01:56 PM
It sound more like pips from the OBC. Could it be mallige on the car. Its not that far from 300k miles?

uscharalph
08-01-2005, 02:07 PM
It's funny! There's a 3rd source of beeps these cars generate. This one doesn't apply in the case we're discussing, but it just happened to me.

I had hit the rewind bar on my stereo headunit to listen to the cd song I had just listened to again and the bar kind of stuck a little. Any way, when I turned off the ignition, the anti theft started beeping, thinking someone was fooling with the radio. I unstuck the bar and no more beep.

Nick.Hay
08-02-2005, 02:46 AM
Maybe its the car warning the driver:

"BEEP... I haven't been driven over 200km/h in a while!! I think its about time again!!"

Hence, I probably won't get this beep... heheheh!! :D

Qsilver7
08-02-2005, 01:08 PM
It's funny! There's a 3rd source of beeps these cars generate. This one doesn't apply in the case we're discussing, but it just happened to me.

I had hit the rewind bar on my stereo headunit to listen to the cd song I had just listened to again and the bar kind of stuck a little. Any way, when I turned off the ignition, the anti theft started beeping, thinking someone was fooling with the radio. I unstuck the bar and no more beep.

Oh yeah...I had forgotten about the radio beeps! :D The one that used to get me all the time was the "clean tape" warning from the radio (obviously back in the days before CDs). But I'd be tooling down the highway and all of a sudden you'd get that piercing...beep....beep...beep...and I'd look around and think - what's wrong now...and not see anything...then I'd glance over at the radio and see the little illuminated warning "clean tape" flashing in the radio's LCD display!

I can't honestly remember the last time I've seen that one...especially since I use CDs 100% of the time. :p

EonPeon
08-04-2005, 10:15 AM
On your OBC display in the top right, do you have the little indicator looking a bit like this:-

o)))

If so, you have the hourly chime feature set, which beeps three times at 15 seconds before the hour.

To turn it off, press the HOUR button and hold it down for three seconds (I think!!).

Ian