PDA

View Full Version : '95 E36 convert questions

JonE
07-19-2005, 10:11 AM
My neighbor recently bought a '95 325iC and I have 3 questions, if anyone can help:
1. This is the m50 engine, right? Double the valves of the m20 engine, and has spark plug coil packs, correct?
2. Is there a tranny dipstick on the automatics, or is this one of the "lifetime" fluid trannys? If so, it apparently can be changed and what type of fluid is it?
3. Is there a list of "what will break" on the E36's kinda like Bruno's site on the E34's?
I'd like to give my neighbor some useful information about the E36's, and just interested in this for myself.
TIA
JonE

tye1138
08-18-2005, 02:14 PM
1. This is the m50 engine. Its very different then the m20 motor. Electronic ignition meaning coils over each spark plug.

2. There should be a tranny dipstick on the automatics. In terms of fluid, take a peek in the manual. I'm a 5 speed manual guy, so I have ZERO experience with the e36 auto tranny.

3. There really isn't a list of "what will break" on the E36's. I've had 2 E36's both with the same m52 motor. I currently have a 525 which has a m50 motor. If the motor sounds healthy, IE no chatter or clatter when running over 2k rpm, then you should be OK. The valves get worn out quickly, pretty quickly on the m50 motor. My wagon has clicking valves, so I don't beat on it. Other then that, DON'T use synthetic oil, get mobil HIGH MILIAGE oil which is a 10w40 I think... it works faboo! It won't burn a drop of that shyt!

Problems I've encountered have been because of the previous owner. So no real motor issues with my car's or my friends! E36' body's have MANY problems. One of them is the wiring harness to the trunk causing the "break light failure" easy fix. Another is the electronic baffel motors for the AC system failing + the electric fan motor and diode pack. I mean other stuff can fail, but those are the things that happened to me with every car I've worked on or delt with.

After you get the car, change all the fluids, radiator, oil, tranny lube if you can. Check for leaks after the change to insure no further problems and then you should be all set. I change my own oil within 3k OR earlier if it gets dark. Keep the oil ALWAYS FULL on the dipstick, there is no "oil low" light like on the e34. If the oil drops off to the low mark on the dip stick, it could damage something.

Enjoy the car, keep it lubed and when stuff breaks, replace it. You should be able to run it well beyond the 200k mile range as long as you don't abuse the motor or transmission.

John in CT
08-28-2005, 03:30 PM
1. Yep, coil packs are found under the cover, be sure no to drop the little nuts....

2. Yep, auto is infamous "lifetime" fluid, don't know much about it but do a "search" and you will get lots of hits, change it ASAP.

3. Only thing my M50 did in the last three years was water pump impeller implosion, the original was some type of fiber-like bakelite construction which died on the highway, new one is steel. This was predicatable and totally my fault. Pump was cheap, not too hard a job, tow was expensive.....

Very strong engine IMHO, service pretty darn simple,

Good luck,

John
1995 525 5-speed