PDA

View Full Version : Upgrades: Fun with General Modules and windows! (and maybe LKMs, too!)

Kalevera
07-08-2005, 06:18 PM
Hey guys...

A few weeks ago, I was doing a few things on Rob's euro M5T (build date sometime during MY 1994 -- I forget the exact month) and inadvertently discovered that the *passenger* side window had both auto down and UP. I thought, "SWEET! -- I wonder if it's a window switch or GM thing!"

Later, as in yesterday, I discovered that ALL e32 and e34 general modules are not only interchangeable, but also that the GM controls the behavior of most ZKE functions (central body electrics).....HHHmmmm!

I pulled the GM from a '94 740 parts car in the lot and installed it -- awesome...now all windows have one touch down! But, beyond the driver's, none have one touch up.

My thinking here is that the euro cars GOT that feature, but perhaps the US didn't for some silly reason, such as legislation. Can you late E34 euro car guys confirm that you've got one touch up on the pass front window (don't know about rears)? I've got one more thing to check on the 740: I didn't swap the relay module, and it might be necessary, I suppose, for one touch up to work on the other windows.

EDIT: after doing some more thinking and reading about the subject, I don't think any US E34 or E32 got passenger one touch up -- I've never seen it on a US E32 or E34...run into it all the time on US E36 and up, which also don't seem to have that silly "two at a time windows or sunroof only" constraint on opening or closing said items...

Finally: the euro LKM. I've heard, but never actually seen, that the fogs stay on with the brights. Perhaps this is a *specific* country thing (australia vs some countries in Europe)?

Happy weekend! (tee hee)

best, whit

Kai@e34.de
07-08-2005, 06:26 PM
hi,
no, the E34 ECE models also had no one touch up (but on the front driver's side). for the simple reason that the E34 never had a crush protection at the power windows.

Paul in NZ
07-08-2005, 06:35 PM
i can confirm that euro lkm allows fogs and brights.......see.
I have one touch down(and up i think,driver only but i cant always get the touch just right......)

Kalevera
07-08-2005, 06:40 PM
hi,
no, the E34 ECE models also had no one touch up (but on the front driver's side). for the simple reason that the E34 never had a crush protection at the power windows.
Kai -- bro, that doesn't make any sense. This car, http://www.robertlevinson.com/M5_Touring/, has it and I'm relatively certain that part of the federalization process wasn't to go in and do some custom general module programming :) I'll have to check another M5T in right now to see if it does the same thing.

best, whit

uscharalph
07-08-2005, 06:41 PM
Another thing to check out. Thanks!

Kai@e34.de
07-08-2005, 07:13 PM
Kai -- bro, that doesn't make any sense. This car, http://www.robertlevinson.com/M5_Touring/, has it and I'm relatively certain that part of the federalization process wasn't to go in and do some custom general module programming :) I'll have to check another M5T in right now to see if it does the same thing.

best, whit
hi,
i don't know why they have enabled the one touch up in some M5T, the power window mechanism is the same than in the "normal" E34. the one touch down depends on the MY - since ~1992, the front windows (or all windows, i'm not sure) go down with one touch. in my 1990 525i, only the front drivers side window has the one touch up & down.
but you're right, it's possible to change it somehow. some guys in the german 7-series forum (www.7er.com) developed a hardware solution for all windows one touch up & down. but a software solution (in the GM) should be possible, too.

edit:
here is the thread: http://www.7-forum.com/forum/showthread.html?t=11543

Shaun
07-08-2005, 07:53 PM
Hey guys...

A few weeks ago, I was doing a few things on Rob's euro M5T (build date sometime during MY 1994 -- I forget the exact month) and inadvertently discovered that the *passenger* side window had both auto down and UP. I thought, "SWEET! -- I wonder if it's a window switch or GM thing!"

Later, as in yesterday, I discovered that ALL e32 and e34 general modules are not only interchangeable, but also that the GM controls the behavior of most ZKE functions (central body electrics).....HHHmmmm!

I pulled the GM from a '94 740 parts car in the lot and installed it -- awesome...now all windows have one touch down! But, beyond the driver's, none have one touch up.

My thinking here is that the euro cars GOT that feature, but perhaps the US didn't for some silly reason, such as legislation. Can you late E34 euro car guys confirm that you've got one touch up on the pass front window (don't know about rears)? I've got one more thing to check on the 740: I didn't swap the relay module, and it might be necessary, I suppose, for one touch up to work on the other windows.

EDIT: after doing some more thinking and reading about the subject, I don't think any US E34 or E32 got passenger one touch up -- I've never seen it on a US E32 or E34...run into it all the time on US E36 and up, which also don't seem to have that silly "two at a time windows or sunroof only" constraint on opening or closing said items...

Finally: the euro LKM. I've heard, but never actually seen, that the fogs stay on with the brights. Perhaps this is a *specific* country thing (australia vs some countries in Europe)?

Happy weekend! (tee hee)

best, whit

My 1995 540i/6 has one touch down on all 4 windows, at one-touch up on at least both front windows and the sunroof. I've never checked the rears for the up part. I shall do so later.

Kalevera
07-08-2005, 07:54 PM
Kai -- Thanks for the info! I never knew Erich spoke/wrote german. That guy's incredible and knows his stuff to boot.

best, whit

Kalevera
07-08-2005, 07:57 PM
Wow -- your US/US GM spec car front pass has one touch up? Hmmm...

G Feller
07-08-2005, 09:00 PM
I just went out to the garage to see about my 540/6 - all that Shaun says is true except no one-touch up on front passenger window. I suspect he may have been mistaken about the passenger up.

Shaun, double check and let us know?

Wow -- your US/US GM spec car front pass has one touch up? Hmmm...

Jon K
07-08-2005, 10:03 PM
I have a '95 530 and '92 525 and both have one-touch down everything (all windows + sunroof). Both have one touch up drivers windows ONLY.

Shaun
07-08-2005, 11:36 PM
Maybe I'm hallucinating, but I seem to remember having one-touch up on the passenger side as well before I had window switch problems. I definitely have one touch close on the drivers side and sunroof (verified 5 mins ago), I'll clean my switch contacts and recheck the pass. side.

Swear I'd hit both drivers and passengers switches last summer, then tried to close the sunroof at the same time, only to find it halted my drivers side window to close to the sunroof.

G Feller
07-09-2005, 08:32 AM
life-and-death stuff, so you'd better get it right!

In other words, I for one will not mind if you have better things to do than fuss over a window switch.

;)

Cheers,
G

p.s. I find that hallucinating isn't all that bad if you are comfortable with it.

Maybe I'm hallucinating, but I seem to remember having one-touch up on the passenger side as well before I had window switch problems. I definitely have one touch close on the drivers side and sunroof (verified 5 mins ago), I'll clean my switch contacts and recheck the pass. side.

Swear I'd hit both drivers and passengers switches last summer, then tried to close the sunroof at the same time, only to find it halted my drivers side window to close to the sunroof.

Kai@e34.de
07-09-2005, 08:38 AM

best, whit
me again,
i started a poll in my forum a few hours ago, 62 users took part so long, no one has an E34 with all windows one touch down neither a 1988 one nor a 1996

http://forum.e34.de/thread.php?threadid=29210

brodee
07-09-2005, 09:16 AM
There is a mod on e30's that will make the fogs stay on with the brights. Would probably work on the e34 too. Let me know if you want me to post it.

Kalevera
07-09-2005, 11:52 AM
Hahaha!

BTW -- VERY interesting poll, Kai. I wish I were more proficient in german to be able to read all of the responses....thank god for babelfish.

best, whit

Johntee540
07-09-2005, 01:24 PM
My 94 540iA has all 4 windows (1) Touch down and driver side (1) touch up. The sunroof is also (1) touch open/close.

Hope this helps - JT

Bill R.
07-09-2005, 02:34 PM
windows and one touch up on drivers side.... Autoloc sells a one touch kit to make them up and down on any bmw supposedly... Its 39.00 here
(http://autotechalarms.com/inc/pdetail?v=1&pid=735)

I have a '95 530 and '92 525 and both have one-touch down everything (all windows + sunroof). Both have one touch up drivers windows ONLY.

GS535i
07-09-2005, 04:53 PM
FWIW, I installed an euro LKM in my NA spec 535i ( it has 4 vs. 3 intermal relays), and the fog/driving lamps stay on with both hi & lo beams.

BobHarris
07-09-2005, 04:56 PM
Any US e34 produced after 9/91 has one touch down on all windows and one touch up on drivers side....

Same in UK as far as I know.

Certainly the same with both E34's I have owned.

HTH

Bob