PDA

View Full Version : Is this the first?

E34-520iSE
07-07-2005, 01:57 PM
Two weeks ago I fitted a digital dash from a 535 into my 1990 520, replacing the basic analogue cluster. Am I the first to do this? All the instruments work, except for the econometer, due to having the wrong coding plug, and I have chosen not to fit the CCM unit. This way I get basic messages only, LOW BRAKE FLUID, BRAKE LININGS, HANDBRAKE ON, etc. There are other basic warnings but I have never seen them yet, as I never run low on fuel, overheat etc. If anyone's thinking of doing this I would say DON'T DO IT! There are approx 30 wires to cut, splice solder and heatshrink.

Cheers,

Shaun

632 Regal
07-07-2005, 03:15 PM
sounds like a great mod, did you take pictures and stuff?

Kai@e34.de
07-07-2005, 04:16 PM
there are alot of people in the german e34 forum (forum.e34.de (http://forum.e34.de)) who have done this yet. someone there sells an adaptor from the 2 connectors to 4 connectors for the check control instrument cluster.

95-540iLE
07-08-2005, 04:51 AM
Is there anyone in the german e34 forum who knows how to fit an E34 M5 cluster into a 540i and who can describe how to re-calibrate the speed and rev counters and who has solved the problem of hooking up the oil temperature guage?

Or am I just dreaming?

Thanks
David

there are alot of people in the german e34 forum (forum.e34.de (http://forum.e34.de)) who have done this yet. someone there sells an adaptor from the 2 connectors to 4 connectors for the check control instrument cluster.

Kai@e34.de
07-08-2005, 04:54 AM
Is there anyone in the german e34 forum who knows how to fit an E34 M5 cluster into a 540i and who can describe how to re-calibrate the speed and rev counters and who has solved the problem of hooking up the oil temperature guage?

Or am I just dreaming?

Thanks
David

sure, i've done it a few times for other ones. the only thing you need is

1. an eeprom writer for the 93C56-eeprom in the code plug. if you don't have one, see here: http://www.dl7awl.de/ee93.htm (i hope you understand some german)
2. an oil temperature sensor für the oil temperature gauge

that's all.

is your 540i an original US-540i and shows the "fasten belts"-message?

Paul in NZ
07-08-2005, 05:25 AM
ece type 540 ..special model for Australia similar tot he canadian and US //M sport cars
540iLE (http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/BMW540iLE/)

E34-520iSE
07-08-2005, 11:08 AM
Oh poo! An adaptor? I wish I knew that before I started cutting the old plugs off- I still have unconnected wires and I have idea what they do!

Cheers,

Shaun

E34-520iSE
07-08-2005, 12:09 PM
An eeprom writer for the 93C56-eeprom in the code plug. if you don't have one, see here: http://www.dl7awl.de/ee93.htm (i hope you understand some german)

That sounds really interesting - tell me more! Do you know anyone who has made the eeprom programmer unit, or would build me one? If I did a hex dump of my coding plug, the data would not make any sense to me, as I wouldn't know what each byte stores. Is there a "map" showing the variables of each BMW model?

Cheers,

Shaun

Marshy
07-08-2005, 01:17 PM
Shaun, if you haven't got a Bentley manual to refer to, I have one in Cambs you can borrow if you're close by. It may (but I woulnd't swear it) help with your remaining wires.

E34-520iSE
07-08-2005, 01:26 PM
Hey Marshy, I have the Bentley diagram, that side of the conversion was not a problem. My problem was (is) identifying all the wires in the loom of my 520. Most are identical, so were connected like for like, some are unique to the 520. The Bentley manual only covers the 525 upwards. You see my problem-my undocumented loom!

Cheers,

Shaun Marsh

BobHarris
07-08-2005, 01:41 PM
Shaun

I believe the Haynes manual covers the 520. Have you look in there?

Bob

E34-520iSE
07-08-2005, 01:51 PM
Shaun

I believe the Haynes manual covers the 520. Have you look in there?

Bob

Hi Bob,
I have the Haynes manual, but the diagrams inside bear no resemblance to any E34 loom. I think those diagrams came from either an E28 or an E30. I studied my loom, the Haynes manual and the Bentley diagram for nearly a week - the Bentley was the most accurate, except for the 520 specific wires.

Cheers,

Shaun

BobHarris
07-08-2005, 01:54 PM
Oh!! I suppose that would be about right.

It was worth a try.

All the best

Bob

Kai@e34.de
07-08-2005, 04:07 PM
That sounds really interesting - tell me more! Do you know anyone who has made the eeprom programmer unit, or would build me one? If I did a hex dump of my coding plug, the data would not make any sense to me, as I wouldn't know what each byte stores. Is there a "map" showing the variables of each BMW model?

Cheers,

Shaun
hi shaun,
unfortunately, this eeprom programmer works only with the coding plugs of the check control instrument clusters (525i, 530i, 535i, 540i, M5) after February 1989.

there is no map on the internet showing what each hexadecimal address is for, but i think it's a good thing that it doesn't exist, because the current mileage is stored on this eeprom, too.

E34-520iSE
07-08-2005, 04:15 PM
Hi Kai, well that's fine as I'm now using a 535 coding plug - any chance you can build the interface? We come to some financial agreement.

Cheers,

Shaun

Marshy
07-08-2005, 04:23 PM
Hey Marshy, I have the Bentley diagram, that side of the conversion was not a problem. My problem was (is) identifying all the wires in the loom of my 520. Most are identical, so were connected like for like, some are unique to the 520. The Bentley manual only covers the 525 upwards. You see my problem-my undocumented loom!

Having just dug out my Bentley manual - I see your problem. 525i and up... :(

Kai@e34.de
07-08-2005, 04:25 PM
Hi Kai, well that's fine as I'm now using a 535 coding plug - any chance you can build the interface? We come to some financial agreement.

Cheers,

Shaun
hi shaun, it's not me who builds these adaptors. write an email to rolli@34.de , he's your man. he also has developed a check control emulation module as far as i know.

http://www.e34.de/pics/kai/AdpterI.jpg

95-540iLE
07-10-2005, 04:39 PM
Kai

Well at least I know it can be done! I think I will still need some more assistance in working out exactly what to do to get it done though!

My 540i is actually an Australian version M540i 6 speed - one of a limited edition of 70. Like the US M-Sport 540i and the Canadian M540i, it came fitted with a whole host of M5 options, including EDCIII suspension.

Kai, is there someone you can put me in touch with who can help me on what you need to do with the Eprom writer and what sort of oil temp sender is required and where to hook it up to etc?

Thanks

David
sure, i've done it a few times for other ones. the only thing you need is

1. an eeprom writer for the 93C56-eeprom in the code plug. if you don't have one, see here: http://www.dl7awl.de/ee93.htm (i hope you understand some german)
2. an oil temperature sensor für the oil temperature gauge

that's all.

is your 540i an original US-540i and shows the "fasten belts"-message?

Kai@e34.de
07-12-2005, 05:02 AM
Kai

Well at least I know it can be done! I think I will still need some more assistance in working out exactly what to do to get it done though!

My 540i is actually an Australian version M540i 6 speed - one of a limited edition of 70. Like the US M-Sport 540i and the Canadian M540i, it came fitted with a whole host of M5 options, including EDCIII suspension.

Kai, is there someone you can put me in touch with who can help me on what you need to do with the Eprom writer and what sort of oil temp sender is required and where to hook it up to etc?

Thanks

David
hi David,
i'll try to write a new instruction how to build this eeprom writer the next days. but perhaps you build it before (just try).
all you've to do is to read out your code plug with this eeprom writer and the software which you can download on the same website (also available in english). start your computer in real dos mode, choose the 93C56-option from the menu, readout, save the dumb and email it to me (Kai525i@e34.de). i'll fix it and mail it back to you, then just write the dumb i've sent on the coding plug with this eeprom writer software you've downloaded. that's all.

the oil temperature sensor... umm...
either try to get a sensor which is installed instead of the oil drain screw or try to get an oil filter box cover from an alpina b10 4.0 or 4.6 - better but much more expensive. the pic is from a M50 engine with alpina oil temperature sensor, don't know exactly if alpina did it in the same way with the M60, but i'll try to get it out.

E34-520iSE
07-12-2005, 02:59 PM
hi David,
i'll try to write a new instruction how to build this eeprom writer the next days. but perhaps you build it before (just try).
all you've to do is to read out your code plug with this eeprom writer and the software which you can download on the same website (also available in english). start your computer in real dos mode, choose the 93C56-option from the menu, readout, save the dumb and email it to me (Kai525i@e34.de). i'll fix it and mail it back to you, then just write the dumb i've sent on the coding plug with this eeprom writer software you've downloaded. that's all.

Hey Kai, well I was almost there with the reprogramming method. I built the chip reader, downloaded the software, found a pal with a PC to run it on etc, BUT.....the 535 dash I have installed is pre 1989. The coding plug is in the middle at the back of the cluster. I presume the chip is the unprogrammable one! :-(. Guess I'll have to go and buy other dash (that's 3 up to now!). I forgot to mention to you that I have an Acorn BBC here (8-bit dinosaur), with external EPROM programmer. It'll program 14-pin IC's. Would that help me?

Cheers,

Shaun

Kai@e34.de
07-13-2005, 01:39 AM
Hey Kai, well I was almost there with the reprogramming method. I built the chip reader, downloaded the software, found a pal with a PC to run it on etc, BUT.....the 535 dash I have installed is pre 1989. The coding plug is in the middle at the back of the cluster. I presume the chip is the unprogrammable one! :-(. Guess I'll have to go and buy other dash (that's 3 up to now!). I forgot to mention to you that I have an Acorn BBC here (8-bit dinosaur), with external EPROM programmer. It'll program 14-pin IC's. Would that help me?

Cheers,

Shaun
hi Shaun,
there are 3 types of code plugs in the Check Control instrument cluster.

-> 2/89: HML075 (integrated in the brown connection plug)
2/89 - 8/90: 93C46 (brown plug, in the dash)
9/90 -> : 93C56 (blue plug, in the dash)

so, if you've a brown code plug in the middle of the dash, it should be a 93C46. do you have a "ASC" indicator light between speedo- ond tachometer or only the "EML"-light (if you have the ASC-light, you also have an 93C46 or 93C56 code plug!)?

the HML075 is programmable, too, but not as easy as the 93Cxx ones. these dashes often fail and stuck at 299.960 km, so i mostly advise to replace them with a newer one with the 93Cxx code plug.

don't know if your acorn can do anything with a 93Cxx eeprom, but i think he can not.

E34-520iSE
07-13-2005, 11:58 AM
hi Shaun,
there are 3 types of code plugs in the Check Control instrument cluster.

-> 2/89: HML075 (integrated in the brown connection plug)
2/89 - 8/90: 93C46 (brown plug, in the dash)
9/90 -> : 93C56 (blue plug, in the dash)

so, if you've a brown code plug in the middle of the dash, it should be a 93C46. do you have a "ASC" indicator light between speedo- ond tachometer or only the "EML"-light (if you have the ASC-light, you also have an 93C46 or 93C56 code plug!)?

the HML075 is programmable, too, but not as easy as the 93Cxx ones. these dashes often fail and stuck at 299.960 km, so i mostly advise to replace them with a newer one with the 93Cxx code plug.

don't know if your acorn can do anything with a 93Cxx eeprom, but i think he can not.
My dash has the 160 mph speedo, with both ASC and EML lights. The brown code plug plugs into the rear of the dash. It had a white plastic "surround" thing that I broke off deliberately, so I guess it's OK to re-program then?
Can the fuel tank and temperature guage also be re-calibrated for my 520, as well as the econometer? How would I remove the IC from its brown plastic case?
Also, now I look into it, my Watford Electronics EPROM programmer won't do the job, as it a 24 & 28 pin device, similar to this one:-
http://owl.8bs.com/see/eprommer.jpg

Ah well I'll see my friend and plug my home made programmer in his PC this weekend, should have a hex "dump" soon!

Cheers,

Shaun

Kai@e34.de
07-13-2005, 12:29 PM
hi Shaun,
ok, then you have a 93C46 eeprom in the code plug. there's no problem to rewrite it. i'll fix your econometer, but what's wrong with the fuel tank gauge?
hehe, the temperature gauge. you need a water temperature sensor from a 525i M50 if you have the M50 engine, otherwise the sensor from a 525i M20. the sensors from the models without check control have a different temperature range output, so you have to replace it when upgrading to the CC dash.

E34-520iSE
07-13-2005, 12:47 PM
hi Shaun,
ok, then you have a 93C46 eeprom in the code plug. there's no problem to rewrite it. i'll fix your econometer, but what's wrong with the fuel tank gauge?
hehe, the temperature gauge. you need a water temperature sensor from a 525i M50 if you have the M50 engine, otherwise the sensor from a 525i M20. the sensors from the models without check control have a different temperature range output, so you have to replace it when upgrading to the CC dash.
Hi Kai! Thanks for your reassurance! My fuel guage may/may not be correct, as when I first installed the dash the needle was about 1/6th of a tank higher than before. Do the 520 and the 535 have the same size fuel tank? I generally never have less than 1/2 a tankfull of petrol in so I can't be sure of it's accuracy.
I'll get a temperature sensor from a M20'd 525 ASAP, to get the temp guage working accurately. I have left the guage disconnected as the needle would just sit in the middle of the guage when the engine's cold!

Cheers,

Shaun

95-540iLE
08-03-2005, 11:26 PM
Kai

I went to an electronics shop today and bought all the bits I need to make this reader. Hopefully, I will have it completed over the week-end and if all works well, I will send you the downloaded information soon after.

Kind regards
David

hi David,

either try to get a sensor which is installed instead of the oil drain screw or try to get an oil filter box cover from an alpina b10 4.0 or 4.6 - better but much more expensive. the pic is from a M50 engine with alpina oil temperature sensor, don't know exactly if alpina did it in the same way with the M60, but i'll try to get it out.

E34-520iSE
08-04-2005, 03:02 PM
I built the EPROM writer too - got it here with me right now - it'll work great. Problem is I don't have a PC to use it on (Mac user!!). Fancy writing me a 93C46 replacement chip Kai? PM me we'll talk in euro's!

Cheers,

Shaun

Kai@e34.de
08-04-2005, 05:29 PM
hi shaun,
i can rewrite the blue code plugs (93C56) only. my eprom writer doesn't get on with these 93C46 anymore. don't know why. but if you'll send me the dumb, i'll fix it to work in your 520.

PS: what about your water temperature sensor? fixed it already?

E34-520iSE
08-05-2005, 02:36 AM
Hey Kai! I'm having big problems finding someone who owns a PC with the RS232 type socket on the back to plug my code reader in - I may even have to buy an old 486 or P1 to do a hex dump for you. I wouldn't really mind but I've built over 30 PC's and scrapped my AMD 1.3Ghz machine when Microplop brought out XP, when I switched to OS X on a Mac. Aah, fun and games!
I haven't swapped the temperature sensor yet Kai, but I have the two of them here, removed from a 525 and ready to fit. Which one works the temperature gauge? Blue or brown?

Thanks again,

Shaun

E34-520iSE
08-06-2005, 04:00 PM
Ooh this is all getting too complicated for me now! What have I done wrong Kai? I borrowed a PC to run the reader software. Program seemed to run OK, with no chip inserted I got logic highs (FFFF) for each byte of data. My next step was to remove the IC from the brown plug - it's almost impossible! I attempted to desolder the "extension legs" from the IC, and then inserted the IC in the code reader, and ran the program - nothing happened, The dump was exactly the same as when no chip was installed. In other words, I think I fried it! I'm going to go to a few local breakers, to get another coding plug (or three!), and have also ordered a couple of blank 93c46 EPROMS just for future reference!

Cheers,

Shaun

95-540iLE
08-08-2005, 05:16 AM
Well I have built the Eeprom reader and after learning a bit about MS DOS, ran the program on a 1995 computer and have saved something to a file and have emailed it to Kai for him to work his magic!!

Whether the file I have sent is what he is expecting and something that he can work with, I guess Kai will let me know, but it all seemed to go well.

Hopefully Kai will send me back a file that when loaded back onto the coding plug, will instruct the M5 instrument cluster to work properly in my 1995 540i/6!

Incidentally, this process appears to have the potential to fix the federalisation problems that you US guys have with instrument clusters when you bring in late model E34 M5's. Just a thought.

Thanks for your help Kai.

hi David,

E34-520iSE
08-09-2005, 05:23 PM
Well I borrowed a PC to run the software on, removed the brown plug and desoldered the IC from it's long connectors, plugged it into the reader and NOTHING - just a hex dump of logic highs (FFFF), whether the chip was in or not. I think the PC has issues with it's COM port address in the BIOS, something I don't have the time to sort out. The first of my blank 93c46 chips arrived today by mail order. I am also going to visit a few local breakers tomorrow, see if I can find another brown coding plug - having no speedo etc is a pain! I have found a web site with a hex dump from a 520. I wonder if there's an easy way to burn that hex dump onto one of my new 93c46's - like pay someone to do it!!!

Cheers,

Shaun

Kai@e34.de
08-09-2005, 05:43 PM
hi,
why COM port? the eeprom writer works with the LPT port.
the 518/520/diesel code plugs are different to the plugs of the check control instrument clusters, both eeprom (its a 24C, not a 93C and will not work with your eeprom writer) and content/dump. sure that the wiring of the eeprom writer is correct?

E34-520iSE
08-10-2005, 03:38 AM
hi,
why COM port? the eeprom writer works with the LPT port.
the 518/520/diesel code plugs are different to the plugs of the check control instrument clusters, both eeprom (its a 24C, not a 93C and will not work with your eeprom writer) and content/dump. sure that the wiring of the eeprom writer is correct?
Hi Kai! My dashboard is from a 1988-90 535, and the chip I removed was a 9346EN. My new blank chip is an ATMEL 93c46. Yes, I triple checked the wiring in my home made eprom writer. I'll try and find some time to find out why the PC I borrowed isn't doing the job. Now I remember why I hate Windoze so much! If I had a LPT port on my Mac I'm sure I could re-write the software in UNIX. Anyway, I'll create a fresh boot CD with command.com & the ee93 program, and use the OUTPORT command to check the LPT RS232 socket. As I said last night I found a hex dump from a 520 on the 'net. Can that dump be burned onto my blank 93c46? I can PM you a copy of it if you like?

Cheers,

Shaun