PDA

View Full Version : Instrument Panel, for the EXPERT

SLDB
07-04-2005, 01:33 AM
Hi Guys,
My '88, 735 E32 now has a permanent instrument lockup. The Temp., Fuel, fuel consumption (L/100K) and Taco do not work any more. Within a couple of seconds after turning 'ON' the ignition key to auxiliary position, the Temp, Fuel and the F/consumption gauges would move to about 10 to 20 % into the range. I have already changed the "5 Caps”, this did not cure the fault, also, tested the old caps and found them to be ok as well.
Could some one please tell me what can I try next - any suggestion will be appreciated?
Thanks.

shogun
07-15-2005, 09:40 PM
Have you tried a spare instrument? I got a complte dash for about 50 $ just in case i need the parts inside.
How about the speed metter? Does it move all the time? In that case the speed pick up on top of the diff might be damaged or needs to be cleaned.

SLDB
07-25-2005, 12:54 AM
Have you tried a spare instrument? I got a complte dash for about 50 $ just in case i need the parts inside.
How about the speed metter? Does it move all the time? In that case the speed pick up on top of the diff might be damaged or needs to be cleaned.

No, unfortunately I don't have a spare cluster, the speedo works ok, only the temp. fuel and economy gauges don't work.
As soon as I turn the ignition on the the above gauges move to about ~15% of the full scale and stay there, starting the car does not make any diference. After I switch off the ignition the gauges take about 10-15 secounds before they go to zero.
Thanks,
Appreciate your help.
sldb

shogun
07-25-2005, 03:05 AM
It might be that the main circuit board in the cluster is defective. Dealer and usual sources ask a hell of money for that.
Ask here on the board if someone has a used cluster, can also be from an E32, as long as the color on the back of the cluster is the same. There are grey, white and blue color backs. All are from different production years.
More details on the page of Johan and Sean under 299.000 km.
That is where the mileage counter freezes on very old models.
Their bewiste you can find on my tech help page below.
You can also try here or on Ebay.
http://stores.ebay.com/BMW-Part-Shop_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQdptZ0QQftidZ2QQtZkm