PDA

View Full Version : OBC dash display hacking - anyone info on it?

ukm5
06-30-2005, 02:48 PM
Does anyone have any info, any at all on how the dash gets the signal to display a text message on a fault or temp reading. I know the newer BMWs have been hacked as you can get a radar detector to display messages on your dash, however the E34 uses an earlier technology

That way I can integrate my incar navigation equipment with the dash display

darren

DanH
06-30-2005, 03:46 PM
Anything is possible with a lot of time and/or $... Its just an array of pixels, so you'd need to figure out the interface. It's not very high tech, since it from the 80's. Don't know if its been done before (besides with photoshop.)

Shaun
06-30-2005, 04:03 PM
Anything is possible with a lot of time and/or $... Its just an array of pixels, so you'd need to figure out the interface. It's not very high tech, since it from the 80's. Don't know if its been done before (besides with photoshop.)

I do believe the LCD cluster is controlled via the CCM. The radio has a line to the CCM (and the LCD is grouped as a CCM item.)

It's likely a nifty serial interface, but without taking the time to interface and debug, it'd be a chore.

ukm5
06-30-2005, 04:08 PM
removing the CCM gives a message on the dash, check control owners hand book etc....so unlikely the CCM makes the message for everything

Shaun
06-30-2005, 05:58 PM
removing the CCM gives a message on the dash, check control owners hand book etc....so unlikely the CCM makes the message for everything

Well, check out the line from the radio to the CCM; it's the only oddball-out line from the radio that I can see in the wiring diagram.

It's certainly possible the GM and other modules have direct line(s) to the LCD, but I myself would rather use the (likely) serial interface the radio provides.

ukm5
06-30-2005, 06:14 PM
do you have a copy of the wiring diagram for the CCM?

Randell
06-30-2005, 08:39 PM
im positive i saw a radar detector add-on for the e34 obc dash display... had pics and everything, but it was tricky the way it worked, and only worked for a certain type of detector...

Blitzkrieg Bob
06-30-2005, 09:11 PM
The CCM, OBC and there is some functions in the Cluster board it's self.

Probably the easiest way to get something on LCD would be through the OBC.