PDA

View Full Version : Rear suspension problem in '89 535i

IN10CT
05-09-2005, 07:01 PM
I am hearing a rattling noise that comes and goes over small bumps in the road (such as would work the suspension). In addition to that, when setting the parking break on a slight downhill grade, the rear end really seems to dive down.

I also find that car rolls / sways a lot more than my old '86 535i did when jigging the wheel from side to side.

Any thoughts on these observations?

Details:
1989 535i
5-speed manual transmission
238,000km
Yokohama Db tires on factory rims

Derek A.
05-09-2005, 07:15 PM
sub frame bushings - dog bones - shocks ??? Get it up in the air and shake it down.

IN10CT
05-09-2005, 07:32 PM
I am hearing a rattling noise that comes and goes over small bumps in the road (such as would work the suspension). In addition to that, when setting the parking break on a slight downhill grade, the rear end really seems to dive down.

I also find that car rolls / sways a lot more than my old '86 535i did when jigging the wheel from side to side.

Any thoughts on these observations?

Details:
1989 535i
5-speed manual transmission
238,000km
Yokohama Db tires on factory rims

The rattle is a lot worse if I slightly engage the parking brake while moving.

Kalevera
05-09-2005, 07:51 PM
On the "rolling" (through corners, I assume) issue: Maybe the suspension's dead? Shocks and struts do die, especially if they're original (!) and even if they were replaced once, they might need it again if OEM stuff/Boge Automatics were used.

The rattling could be anything -- I've got a rattle on my front pass side because the dust shield is messed up and whacks the rotor over bumps. In order to fix it, I'll have to pull the wheel bearing, which is a pain. In terms of the rear of the car: I agree with previous posters -- check the subframe bushings. If they're really dead, the car's steering will be vague and it will "steer itself". My utterly trashed rear pitman arms didn't make noise, nor did my trashed rear swaybar links. So, I'm thinking a bushing. If you've had the car aligned recently, check the report and see if there are any *huge* discrepancies.

best, whit

Beemr750
05-10-2005, 07:50 AM
It sounds like a sway bar link broke.They are aluminum made. Had mine broken last year with similar reaction.Easy to change and inexpensive.