PDA

View Full Version : 1998 740IL Ticking From The Engine

CityMan
05-05-2005, 04:51 PM
Hi,

My 1998 740IL has been sitting all winter. I started and let it run about once a month for 5 mins or so over the winter. Today I pulled out my 740 ( It was a nice day here in NY) and noticed a ticking noise coming from the engine.
I have 64000 miles on the car.
Do I need a value adjustment or maybe it's a fuel injector.

Anyone out there have this problem. I would greatly appreciate any advice anyone has.

Thanks

chrisSC750iL
05-08-2005, 11:34 PM
How's it goig? I recently bought a 1996 740i and when I started the car on the lot, I heard the same thing. The ticking wasn't a "hard" ticking, just a light tic,tic,tic.....that got on my nerves. It too had been sitting for a while, started ever so often but hadn't been driven in a while. When I drove the car off the lot I went straight to the nearest autobahn. I got it on the autobahn, put the pedal on the floor and drove for a while. When I got home, a let the car idle and I didn't hear the ticking noise anymore. I know, that in my situation, the oil just needed to be circulated through the engine. Once the oil got to the lifters, the noise stopped.

Try driving it around and see if the noise stops.

On the other hand, if the noise is a loud tapping, then you may need to have your valves looked at.

chris750iL

CityMan
05-10-2005, 10:07 PM
Hey,

Going to get the oil changed and then do what you did. Put the pedal to the floor. Lets see what happen.

Thanks

How's it goig? I recently bought a 1996 740i and when I started the car on the lot, I heard the same thing. The ticking wasn't a "hard" ticking, just a light tic,tic,tic.....that got on my nerves. It too had been sitting for a while, started ever so often but hadn't been driven in a while. When I drove the car off the lot I went straight to the nearest autobahn. I got it on the autobahn, put the pedal on the floor and drove for a while. When I got home, a let the car idle and I didn't hear the ticking noise anymore. I know, that in my situation, the oil just needed to be circulated through the engine. Once the oil got to the lifters, the noise stopped.

Try driving it around and see if the noise stops.

On the other hand, if the noise is a loud tapping, then you may need to have your valves looked at.

chris750iL

chrisSC750iL
05-11-2005, 05:53 PM
Hey,

Going to get the oil changed and then do what you did. Put the pedal to the floor. Lets see what happen.

Thanks

Hey, I hope that works for you. This problem seems like one of the few problems that all fuel injected cars have when they sit for a while; not a problem just limited to BMW's. My father has been a mechanic for 25 years and he may have a suggestion as far as something that may be mechanically wrong before you actually have to dig into any of the electronics of the car. He is already checking with a few of his mechanic buddies just in case my solution doesn't work.