PDA

View Full Version : E34 535i Sport EML issues

adam_e34
05-04-2005, 04:14 PM
Firstly i apoligise for this being my first post asking for help and having had no input to the forum

But...........................

Iv'e got a E34 1990 535i Sport Manual and it's poorly, basicly it is some sort of issue with the EML throttle.

Tonight iv'e had the thing working from doing nothing really at all so i know the motor works mechanicly.

Ive done a bit of research and found some info on 750i's that use the same system and check stuff the recommened.

Symptoms

The throttle only partailally opens but the car will still rev all the way round but it's like driving feathering the throttle ie. no power.
Im guesssing that this is like some kind of saftey mode the cars in

The strange thing is that it worked for spells tonight which really pissed me off as it would have been better not working at all! :D

Things iv'e done.

1. Stripped and cleaned the motor, found the tracks on the TPS to be slightly worn which was a touch worrying but im guessing it's not that as it would just not work.

2. Cleaned all plugs etc and check connections.

3. Tried a booster pack on the battery to make sure it wasn't a drop in voltage that was causing the problem.

4. One thing that is strange is that the EML light on the dash does not work in any way what so ever!. Iv'e read that this is a important part of the EML circuit as if the board in the clocks fails it put the EML system into limp mode as it can't warn you avout any faults!! (yes stupid i know).
So tomorrow im gonna get some clocks from the scrappy and try them.

In other words any suggestions ?

Or is anyone breaking a car either E32 735i or E34 535i with drive by wire throttle.

Cheers

Adam

Kalevera
05-04-2005, 06:46 PM
Hi Adam.

There's no EML in 1990 535i's -- it was used on later ('92) models, so that would explain why the EML light on the dash isn't going off (in my case, we pulled the bulb because it was ALWAYS staying on -- perhaps due to a short in the dash module -- and drained the battery).

My guess is that the car has some other problem -- perhaps related to the fuel delivery system (clogged/done fuel filter or a bad fuel pump/regulator). Have you done a stomp test?

best, whit

Gman
05-04-2005, 09:02 PM
I have a 91 535i 5speed with an EML throttle. Have you seen this site with information
on drive by wire throttles. http://www.users.qwest.net/~gbower/bmw/BMWThrottles.htm

I also test drove an euro spec 535 with an early form of ASC (stability control) that severly reduces acceleration to avoid wheel spin in snow and mud.
If you have ASC try with it off (ie the dash indicator will on).

Hope this helps,
Greg.

MSM
05-05-2005, 11:30 AM
Adam states that he has stripped down and cleaned the motor and inspected the tps, the implication being that he does have an EML throttle system as he has overhauled the throttle unit, despite it being a 1990 model car. :)

The EML system in my 92 535 sport controls the idle speed of the engine too, thus removing the need for a seperate idle speed control valve. If Adams car is holding a stable idle speed despite limiting throttle opening, then it implies that the throttle motor, at least, is working. The limiting of throttle angle sounds like a fail-safe get you home mode of some sort. Maybe it could be as simple as a problem with the instrument cluster causing the EML control unit to activate a limp-home mode.

Jeff C
05-05-2005, 12:49 PM
I've been away a while but here's my 2 cents.

I've got a 91 535ia with ASC - drive by wire - my EML light occasionally comes on, limiting throttle response. The stealer mechanic told me it was a loose wire in the engine computer that they likely fixed when the did the level II inspection when I first bought the car - was he right - NO

A former stealer mechanic who is now a BMW indie said the EML and check engine light on my car is likely a result of one of the speed sensors being off/broken/loose

From what I recall he said the 535 normally comes with one speed sensor, but the ASC equipped ones came with 2, one on the rear diff and one closer to the crankshaft somewhere to measure engine speed/gear. If the two do not agree as to speed that will set off the EML or check engine light.

He hooked it up to a computer and stated that it was likely the rear diff sensor ... have not yet had a chance to replace it but I hope this little bit of extra info helps or at least gives you a different direction to look in

Regards

Jeff

adam_e34
05-05-2005, 01:31 PM
Hi,

Firstly thanks for all your input :)

Iv'e certainly have got EML throttle dude :D , and today iv'e cured it!!!

I thought more into the EML bulb problem and went and fetched another instrument cluster from a scrap yard, then after returning home i noticed that the battery light and seatbelt warning light were in opposite posistions.
Thinking id made a bit of a mistake buying it, i went ahead and thought stuff it and plugged it in.
To my suprise all lights functioned properly and the throttle worked perfectly.

My theory is that the guy the previous owner bought it off has swapped the clocks to maybe lower the mileage and the clocks have a different revision board in it and it toataly screwed things up.

So im off out now for a run round to fully "enjoy" my 535i Sport :D

I wonder how much work it's gonna take to unstick the 265/35/18's.....lol

Once again thanks for the suggestions and i hope i can have future input in other peoples issues.

Adam

PS i'll post some pics when i fettled with it abit :)

adam_e34
05-05-2005, 01:36 PM
Oh yeah iv'e just noticed this is a US forum :D

Hello from over the pond im in the UK :)

BobHarris
05-05-2005, 01:47 PM
Oh yeah iv'e just noticed this is a US forum :D

Hello from over the pond im in the UK :)

We aren't all Americans, there are members all over the world, I'm in the UK too by the way.

I have'nt been a member for long but I have already had a fair bit of help and found the threads very interesting and enjoyable.

Cheers

Bob

adam_e34
05-05-2005, 01:49 PM
Cool where abouts in the UK are you im in Chesterfield Derbyshire :)

BobHarris
05-05-2005, 01:56 PM
Cool where abouts in the UK are you im in Chesterfield Derbyshire :)

Near Portsmouth, Hampshire

Kalevera
05-05-2005, 02:19 PM
Hi,

Firstly thanks for all your input :)

Iv'e certainly have got EML throttle dude :D , and today iv'e cured it!!!

I thought more into the EML bulb problem and went and fetched another instrument cluster from a scrap yard, then after returning home i noticed that the battery light and seatbelt warning light were in opposite posistions.
Thinking id made a bit of a mistake buying it, i went ahead and thought stuff it and plugged it in.
To my suprise all lights functioned properly and the throttle worked perfectly.

My theory is that the guy the previous owner bought it off has swapped the clocks to maybe lower the mileage and the clocks have a different revision board in it and it toataly screwed things up.

So im off out now for a run round to fully "enjoy" my 535i Sport :D

I wonder how much work it's gonna take to unstick the 265/35/18's.....lol

Once again thanks for the suggestions and i hope i can have future input in other peoples issues.

Adam

PS i'll post some pics when i fettled with it abit :)

HMMmmm...Sorry for my misunderstanding -- perhaps it's only US cars that don't have DBW.

Glad you got it fixed!

best, whit

Jeff C
05-05-2005, 02:44 PM
Hey Lowell, I'm in Canada but my car is built for the US market, and yes I have DBW - in an autobox - I wish I had the 5 sp....

'cheers'

Jeff

632 Regal
05-05-2005, 02:47 PM
Whit...what you go goin on there? someone replace your engine on you?

Kalevera
05-05-2005, 02:55 PM
Haha - not that I know of :)

Seriously...I'm almost certain that it's a 91/92 MY thing. Someone with a US Spec '90 535 tell me differently, please :)

Damn...even the ETK is inconclusive.

P.S. -- Jeff, congrats on becoming, now, the first ever 5th grand master...hahaha

best, whit

shogun
04-21-2013, 06:08 PM
link updated for throttle body cleaning
Reconditioning BMW 750il throttle assemblies (http://web.archive.org/web/20050215064606/http://www.users.qwest.net/~gbower/bmw/BMWThrottles.htm)

EML working principle explained in detail here Europeantransmissions (http://www.europeantransmissions.com/) see tech help BMW the write up

Mutley
04-23-2013, 01:20 AM
for all you guys out there with the EML system, if you board in your cluster goes bad on you, or your bulb fails, your EML will activate the limp home system. It is to prevent engine damage by not allowing you to rev the nuts off it without proper warnings in place. I am currently running a 1989 535i Sport Manual with fly by wire throttle system,one of only seventeen left on the UK roads,(it was eighteen, but my other one suffered terminal rot just before christmas). If you get problems always check the bulb and board first, if that fails move down to the potentiometer,(attached to the accelerator pedal), then to the throttle housing itself on the intake, followed by the ECU. The only major problems to be encountered really is the potentiometer. hope this helps you out.