PDA

View Full Version : More on Magnum Force Intake--More claims about increased HP

Hector
05-03-2005, 11:35 AM
http://www.bmpdesign.com/technical/install_instructions/afeintake.php

BigKriss
05-03-2005, 11:45 AM
"After our first driving impression, the manufacturers' claim of 20hp & 25lb/ft torque improvement over stock seems like a very realistic figure."
The website proclaims

Its for a e46 330i.

632 Regal
05-03-2005, 11:54 AM
what gets me is these companies have plenty of money to actually dyno a car to prove their products but they dont. snake oil.

Blitzkrieg Bob
05-03-2005, 09:22 PM
I would expect a horse power increase like that to only come from a serious modification.....like chrome valve stem covers.

bahnstormer
05-03-2005, 10:09 PM
it could be 20hp at the flywheel below sealevel =]

BigKriss
05-03-2005, 10:20 PM
they pull any number out of their arse and make it sound as fact

Jose
05-04-2005, 05:48 AM
I agree with Kristian. It's all ********. We dino tested my 535 set up with a 20 cm long open K&N filter and 44 cm long one and compared this to the factory set up. The only increase was 3 bhp when reving it up, and at full throttle it even lost 5 bhp due to the hot air it was sucking up from the engine bay. Standard is better unless you're running a full turbo set up. The 44 sm filter sounded fantastic though, it sure gives the impression of going faster....

niall
05-04-2005, 07:42 AM
I agree with Kristian. It's all ********. We dino tested my 535 set up with a 20 cm long open K&N filter and 44 cm long one and compared this to the factory set up. The only increase was 3 bhp when reving it up, and at full throttle it even lost 5 bhp due to the hot air it was sucking up from the engine bay. Standard is better unless you're running a full turbo set up. The 44 sm filter sounded fantastic though, it sure gives the impression of going faster....

your just right man, like ive said before, ive seen
dyno testing, and with cold air intake-filters you
can realise 1 to 1.5bhp increase, maybe more on
a M30, but that is all we are talking about, but
keep in mind if you have a cold air intake at night
or on a cold day that figure might increase slightly,
like the old rule of thumb, a 10 degreeC drop in
intake temps will increase crankBHP by somewhere
around 1%, so you could be looking at a 5bhp increase
on a cold day........................every little helps i suppose????????

bahnstormer
05-04-2005, 09:20 AM

def u need to install a heatshield....
ifu're not using that KN, can i have it? :D

Jose
05-04-2005, 01:20 PM
Ha,ha,sorry mate, It´s already got a new home, on the airbox I´m attempting to make for my ´76 twin Weber 16 Manta. They are not expensive at all as it is a universal fit filter. It cost me approx 85 dollars here in europe. Guess it would be cheaper over in the US.

Robin-535im
05-04-2005, 03:10 PM
Dyno testing doesn't really show how a cold air intake performs, since you probably need the ram air effect to see the "promised" gains. What they need is at least a G-Tech or preferrably a fully instrumented car to drive down the highway.

I agree that if they really wanted us to believe the HP increase, they could show some data. Otherwise - how do they know what the increase is? SOP? (Seat Of Pants)

- Robin

Jose
05-04-2005, 04:58 PM
never heard of the new state of the art dyno´s which are even able to simulate the road and air resistance ? These dyno´s also have two air turbines in front of the car which are able to create windspeeds up to 90mph at the nose of your car, so ram air induction is really present thus the result is more valid than it could ever be. It's what I said earlier, it gives you the impression your car is performing better due to that horny sound they make. Only real efficient air application is a full airbox with programable throttle bodies, but hey, might aswell buy an M5 , it' s already got half the set up.

Robin-535im
05-04-2005, 05:17 PM
Didn't know they had those for public use - I figure car manufactures probably have that kind of setup. Last dyno I visited was just a big drum in a garage, an inductive pickup and an 02 sensor in the tail pipe plus some Dynojet software. I wasn't that impressed by the scientific ability of the operator - ran three tests and got three completely different results. Only cost me $50 so I didn't mind too much.

Jeff N.
05-04-2005, 06:32 PM
Robin - did you spin up your black 535i on the dyno? What'd it pull?

Robin-535im
05-04-2005, 06:58 PM
Something ridiculous like 175 HP, and that is after correction for the altitude. The guy running the shop was kinda new to this whole dyno machine thing, and of the three pulls we did, one of them looked mostly okay but the other two were max 150 hp or so. Like I said, I paid the $50 and decided that I got about a $50 dyno experience!

I really think a G-tech is the way to go, or make your own similar thing with the WB O2 sensor plus data logging of RPM, etc. I think for building a new motor it will be essential, and probably even a piggyback ECU to fine tune the timing. If you tune it up to 14.7 without the O2 plugged in then the fuel maps should be pretty close, then plug it back in and tweak the timing with the piggyback ECU. Send the results off to Mark so he can burn it into a chip and you're all set.

How's your motor coming along, did the block check out?