PDA

View Full Version : Dicky brake light switch on E36

rph
04-30-2005, 06:21 AM
Just helped my son buy a 96 E36 sedan with Sport Package. The seller agreed to replace a brake light switch, which I believe he did, but regardless, either there are no brake lights, or they stay on all the time. I tore up the front panel and located the switch. Everything seemed to be normal -- ie, the cable connector was locked into the switch housing okay, the brake lights come on when the pedal is mashed. But what I found was the brake pedal itself has a fair amount of lateral "slap" (compared with my E34), and if, after activating the lights by pushing down on the pedal you push the pedal to the right, the brake lights go off; if you push the pedal to the left, or under normal action, the lights stay on. Anyone had this problem? Can the pedal sloppiness be rectified? If so, might that fix it? Fortunately, the seller is a reputable indy BMW service shop owner, and he will fix it eventually. We are 80 miles from his shop and with a weekend to mess with, figured we might as well look at it in the meantime.

rph
05-02-2005, 12:21 PM
...that keep the pedal tight on the spindle (or whatever you call the axle thingy). I don't know why they have worn. It doubt its a common problem. Stay tuned.