PDA

View Full Version : 89 735il Fuel consumption

ahmerkhan
04-29-2005, 04:10 PM
Hey,

I was wondering what kind of fuel consumption i should be getting on this car. Im currenty getting arount 15-16 mpg. What can i do to increase that if its low ? i recently changed the spark plugs on the car. thanks

shogun
04-30-2005, 02:55 AM
depnding on your style of driving and where you drive. If you only use Highway/City/ or country road, big differences. If you drive alone or always with 4-5 passengers, heavy load or not in the trunk.
If you ask such a question, it must be more specified and then still there are differences.
Bet is you read the owners manual and if that somehow fits to your fuel consumption, it is alright.
I have read such threads about fuel comsumption more than 100 times and everybody has a different and of course right answer.
What you can do to reduce fuel comsumption:
keep the car in good shape, do not speed/accelerate if necessary etc., and replace wear parts such as distributor cap/rotor, fuel filter, spark plugs etc in regular intervals according to the inspection service intervals.

ahmerkhan
04-30-2005, 11:37 AM
I drive, alone almost all the time. Highway and local equally, No weight in the trunk and i dont really drive fast, lately ive been putting it in cruise control to see if i can increase the milage, I also know my fuel sender needs cleaning maybe thats why im getting a wrong reading > i know two days ago it was giving me 16 mpg and now its decresed to 14.9 i dont know why my driving style hasnt changed ?

shogun
04-30-2005, 12:11 PM
I think you have to check it for a longer period and not just by one refill. Usually I drive in heavy traffic in Tokyo city. Fuel consumption is here in km/liter. When I drive only city, I have a consumption of 4-5 km/liter.
Yesterday I made a trip on the Highway only for about 500 km with an average max. speed of bewenn 100-150 kmh, mainly travelling at around 120 kmh.
Suddenly I could get 7.3 km/Liter.
What you can do:
I use the OBC fuel consumption I for calculating one fuel tank filling average.
When I refill, I reset the I indication to zero.
The fuel consumption II I never touch, so that I have a kind of lifetime consumption average.