PDA

View Full Version : How do i get the damn torx screws off the TB

infinity5
04-29-2005, 01:40 PM
my dumb ass just stripped the heads of two of the t-30 torx screws that hold the TB against the intake mannifold. damnit. how tight are the freakin things on there? or am i doing this wrong? i bought some torx bits from sears.. which don't even fit.. then i went and got some from k-mart that DO fit, but they refuse to actually do anyhting but strip the head because they're in so tight. ???

whats going on.. i've got to get them off if i'm going to change the TB/intake gasket. and i think taking it off will make removing the whole manifold easier (which is step 2). but i can' get any of this done till these freakin' bolts come out.

Bill R.
04-29-2005, 01:58 PM
wrong size torx bit and strip out the holes...
B: the manifold isn't any easier to get off with the throttle body off, its just as easy with it on. Once you get it off you can usually get vice grips on the bolts that you stripped and remove them. You can replace them with some allen head bolts from most hardware stores. Sometimes it helps to tap the torx socket into place with a small hammer to make sure its seated all the way in and grabbing as much as possible. On really tight torx i use a hand impact driver like you use for case screws on a motorcycle, they will usually shock the bolts loose without stripping them

my dumb ass just stripped the heads of two of the t-30 torx screws that hold the TB against the intake mannifold. damnit. how tight are the freakin things on there? or am i doing this wrong? i bought some torx bits from sears.. which don't even fit.. then i went and got some from k-mart that DO fit, but they refuse to actually do anyhting but strip the head because they're in so tight. ???

whats going on.. i've got to get them off if i'm going to change the TB/intake gasket. and i think taking it off will make removing the whole manifold easier (which is step 2). but i can' get any of this done till these freakin' bolts come out.

infinity5
04-29-2005, 02:15 PM
:) I was hoping you'd reply! Didn't you post some pics of an m60 off a 740 when you took the manifold off? i remmber you kept the TB on as well. my only problem/question is how do you get around the accelerator/cruisecontrol cables? I screwed them off the little metal mount but they still won't come free. If i can't remove them, i can't get the wiring harness out of the way and i can't get the manifold off! Not to mention i can't take the manifold off the car if its still connected to the cables.

I could probably get around that little problem is if i could disconnect all the wires comming off the dirvers side black plastic box (over the injectors). theres a wire comming off the front side of the box that heads down into the engine. i can see where splits off and i can reach one of the connects, but i can't see where the other goes. it disappears behind the alternator.

i got bored and took all the bolts holding down the manifold off and pulled it a little free, but i can't get farther till i get those bowden cables off.

Hmm.. you're right, i might be using the wrong size bit. I'll check the ETK and find out exactly what size they are.

Bill R.
04-29-2005, 02:27 PM
http://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/740manifold/740manifold1.jpghttp://www.bimmernut.com/%7Ebillr/images/740manifold/740manifold3.jpg
:) I was hoping you'd reply! Didn't you post some pics of an m60 off a 740 when you took the manifold off? i remmber you kept the TB on as well. my only problem/question is how do you get around the accelerator/cruisecontrol cables? I screwed them off the little metal mount but they still won't come free. If i can't remove them, i can't get the wiring harness out of the way and i can't get the manifold off! Not to mention i can't take the manifold off the car if its still connected to the cables.

I could probably get around that little problem is if i could disconnect all the wires comming off the dirvers side black plastic box (over the injectors). theres a wire comming off the front side of the box that heads down into the engine. i can see where splits off and i can reach one of the connects, but i can't see where the other goes. it disappears behind the alternator.

i got bored and took all the bolts holding down the manifold off and pulled it a little free, but i can't get farther till i get those bowden cables off.

Hmm.. you're right, i might be using the wrong size bit. I'll check the ETK and find out exactly what size they are.

infinity5
04-29-2005, 11:50 PM
See that black plate that the throttle cables are connected to? Thats held on by two torx screws to the TB. Those are the two screws i stripped =\

Originally i was going to leave the TB on, at least until i got the manifold off the car, so i started with those two screws holding the throttle cable "mount" down.

i tried unscrewing the cables from the little black metal thing but they won't come out all the way. i tried twisting and pushing and everyhting.. they're fastened to that little black plate in such a way that i can't figure out how to get them off.

infinity5
04-30-2005, 12:28 AM
I did it!!! with my bare hands and the horrible water pump pliers from the trunk kit- i got both the bolts off just by squeezing really hard. i had to get into the engine bay and stand on the manifold and use all my weight to turn the bolts but they finally came free :) :) bwhahahaha

epj3
04-30-2005, 01:24 AM
Invest in some rounded/rusted bolt removers from sears. I had to use them for my e30's totally rusted exhaust. Worked like a charm, and by a charm I mean it broke the STUDS out of the manifold! Strong little things!