PDA

View Full Version : Convertibles and carwashes

Jason
04-27-2005, 11:12 AM
MY aunt has a 2000 325 ci convertible and i was wondering if its bad for the top to put it through a carwash. It doesnt leak or anything, but i was just wondering if its a bad idea to do it. any input on this would be appreicated. Thanks in advance,
Jason

JonE
04-30-2005, 09:59 AM
I never run my '89 325iC through the car wash, but, it would leak for sure! Still, I'm not sure I'd do it, I like hand cleaning those convertibles. Perhaps the tops on the newer ones are more durable and seal better. I also believe hers would be insulated, so that might help. Maybe the brushless car washes would be acceptable. There also might be recommendations in her owner's manual and I guess you could call a BMW dealer to see what they recommend.

western99
06-28-2005, 06:52 PM
in the car wash. The soap that is used in them usually have agents that can deteriorate the rag top and stain them over a long period of time in the sun. Go to a hand car wash, wash the metal and use a specific rag top soap for it. I can not remember the name of it now. What it will do is reduce the visibiltiy of creases, and lower the rate of staining on the top from regular soap. If it were up to me, I would just use water to rinse it off and some sort of conditioner.

Brian