PDA

View Full Version : Plug in Keyless Entry

uscharalph
04-23-2005, 11:07 PM
I bought a plug in keyless entry sytem on Ebay for my 1989 E34 525i (M20) manufactured in 9/88 (Apparently one of the first E34s). We were all set to install it today. The system plugs into the 12 pin connector which the instructions said was under the back seat on the passenger side. Not there. I went on line and found a post claiming it may be behind the driver's side kick panel. Not there. ANY IDEAS WHERE IT IS? Thank you!

Javier
04-24-2005, 08:10 AM
Javier

ukm5
04-24-2005, 05:08 PM
also how well did u look????
the alarm harness as far as i knew was behind the general module box under the back seat
if u see the black box on the passsenger side with the rm and gm boxes in, you have to remove that..its the easiest way to get the the wire bundle
however theres a very good chance all you have are the wires, ie..no plug on the end

uscharalph
04-25-2005, 01:25 AM
We found all this, but the people we bought the unit from claim there is a 12 pin connector. I got his phone number today, so I'll try and call him tommorrow. I'm beginning to think that you're right and the earlier E34s don't have this connector.

Javier
04-25-2005, 06:39 AM
the signals should be there.

Javier

JonE
04-25-2005, 11:41 AM
For what it's worth, my aftermarket keyless was installed under that kick panel. Mine is a '90 535i and I think our early E34's had the kick panel access, not necessarily a plug. I didn't ask the installers whether there was a plug, but have a feeling that is where the appropriate wiring was to tap into it.

uscharalph
04-25-2005, 05:38 PM
Just got the word from the eBay seller. My 1989 E34 525i (9/88) does not have the 12 pin connector. He offered to send me another harness to hard wire it behind the driver's side kick panel. He also said it could be hooked up to the trunk actuator, but only the keyless entry would work that way. I've got to decide. Any thoughts or advice? Returning the system and working something else out is an option.

Javier
04-25-2005, 06:00 PM
Did you get from archives the pin out for the 26 pins?

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=997

To hook it in the trunk is worse than to hook it at the 26 pin, you can tap there to the wires just before the connector plug ending the harness, and get full operation of doors/hood/trunk lid monitoring for antitheft operation, besides keyless.

You may even send your provider a table with the 26 pin wires (you can even confirm in your car they are as said in the table), and get from the provider wiring instructions.

My concern would be if they need "to ground" or "to 12V" signals from the jamb and key switches. Also compatibility of actuating signals to the GM for keyless entry.

If they give you their harness pin out and operating ranges, we can help you with wiring instructions.

This is only justifiable if the investment in the system was low and alternatives ready to go are much more expensive, as you will tap into the wires and you may not get full operation of the system (I mean for example "Alarm may not be deactivated with keyless, or any key hole in the car").

Javier

uscharalph
04-25-2005, 06:10 PM
I'll look for it tonight, knowing that for sure there is no 12 pin connector. Thanks, that pin table.

Fred Tyler
04-25-2005, 11:09 PM
Hi, I have also obtained a kit from ebay and my 12/95 525i has the 12 pin plug under the rear seat, but not all pins are used and the instruction "such as they are" call for wires to be connected to pins that have no wiring! Next I will investigate 26 pin plug in same area.
I received my bentley manual today and it shows several different options.
I with I had known a bit about it before.
regards fred

smcgowan
09-06-2005, 05:26 PM
Did you find that 26 pin plug. For your keyless entry?