PDA

View Full Version : trans problem , HELP!!!!!!! for the experts please

Brent in NZ hartge 535i
04-19-2005, 05:53 AM
hi, have picked this 1992 E32 730i V8 m60 engine 5spd auto . was a repo car . been sitting for about 6-9mths . engine was running rough and smoked .
i have sorted the rough idle and smoking ( pcv valve , ICV & a vac hose leak ) but also it had trans fluid in the coolant system . so i have swapped another radiator in to it from a dead 735i i had here. that sorted that out , i have changed the fluid in the trans , then took it for a drive ( seem to be ok except for slow changing back to 1st gear when comming to a stop quickly ,so a bit of a delay when driving off b4 it grabbed). stopped somewhere came out and noticed the gear lever very stiff when put into reverse (hard to move) so i moved it forwards and backwards to free it up , then i lost all gears ,wouldn't go into park (cable still working ok underneth) , had to get it towed home . put it up on axle stands pulled the trans pan off , found the lever inside the trans that conects to the valve bodies had poped out and was stopping the gear lever from going into park and selecting gears .
so i put it back on and cleaned pan ,filter and as much of the inside of the trans as i could with kerosene and WD40 .reasembled , fuild up with dexron III trans fuild again and took it for a drive , still had the slow down change into 1st when comming to a stop . but other wise ok . then after about 15mins the gear lever started to get all stiff again , so i turned around and went home , by the time i got home i could hardley move the gear lever back in to natural . whenthe car had cooled down you can move the lever again and by the end of the day when stone cold it had freed up to just about normal .
so i was wondering if i need to remove and clean out valve body or is it something more than that .or is fuild still got some water in it or wrong sort of fuild . is there rust in some of the parts fromthe water that was sitting inther for a few months . please help anyone .
sorry for the long story ( and bad engrish).
brent . retrah1@wave.co.nz

Dan in NZ
06-30-2005, 11:24 PM
Don't the M60's have the GM transmission, that takes that unusual fluid?

shogun
07-01-2005, 12:07 AM
Dan,
problem is solved a long time.
This is from: 04-19-2005

In Europe they have the ZF gear inside.

Probably because of the server hick-up

miroo139
07-31-2005, 05:38 AM
i have 730 bmw i have problume is revers and 4th gair is not working

miroo139
07-31-2005, 05:41 AM
any body online now

shogun
07-31-2005, 08:45 AM
Hi Miro,
I have some questions:

-have you checked the oil level?
-have you tried to change the oil and filter?
-how does the oil look and smell? Black and burned?
-What is the mileage or km of your car?
-Is that 730 a R6 (as called in Europe) = straight six or a V8 engine?

-If V8, the problem is most probably the valve body.
Have a look on my wesite and see under valve body rebuilt. There it is described how to do it yourselves.

Where do you live? Maybe it is easier or cheaper if you buy a used transmission. If you live in Europe, they are quite cheap nowadays.
http://tridem.han-solo.net/auto/erich/valvnew.pdf