PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recognize these?

TheDuke
04-10-2005, 09:08 PM
I know they're made by axis, and they are Millano series.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7967240333&category=43960&sspagename=WDVW

winfred
04-10-2005, 09:22 PM
the fake bolts on a one piece rim to make it look like a 3 piece look cheesy and harder to clean, even more fun when they are little pot metal **** stuck in holes and they fall out, some are cast in and not real detailed, cheese factor 13

Nick.Hay
04-10-2005, 09:22 PM
Never seen those before...

But I like them!!! :D

pmlmotorsports
04-10-2005, 10:32 PM
Actually, I do recognise them. What is it you wish to know? 20" wheels on anything less than the current 7 or 6 series would be a CRUDE RIDE to say the least. That said, Axis is a high quality Asian wheel importer. Some of their styles are of better quality than most other manufacturers, and their best modular wheel is an EXCELLENT product. I would say they are equal to Racing Hart, Enkei, and Rays. Suffice to say, they are far, far superior to the Ebay replica wheels from Highline, FM, OE Distributors, and even some offerings from The Wheel Exchange. Just stick to 18" and under........lol

pundit
04-10-2005, 10:42 PM
the fake bolts on a one piece rim to make it look like a 3 piece look cheesy and harder to clean, even more fun when they are little pot metal **** stuck in holes and they fall out, some are cast in and not real detailed, cheese factor 13
Basically I avoid anything that pretends to be something it's not... like a one piece wheel masquerading as a two or three piece wheel. I mean you can make a VW nearly look like a Porsche but when it gets to the point that you're trying to pretend it IS a Porsche then YOU SUCK!! :D

Reminds me. I gotta order those stick on M5 badges for my E34. :p

infinity5
04-10-2005, 10:46 PM
what would be the purpose of a multi-piece wheel?

winfred
04-10-2005, 10:59 PM
modular construction allows many options cheeper, different back spacing, front spacing and widths with the same center section on 3 piece, the only part actually made for one car is the center hub piece with the design

pundit
04-10-2005, 11:12 PM
what would be the purpose of a multi-piece wheel?
Multi-piece (composite) wheels are used to maximise the choice of offsets and tyre choices. On a given vehicle the center (hub section) can be used with a wide variety of outer rims. The different parts of the wheel may be forged, cast or spun alloy (usually rims). Also if the outer rim is damaged it can be replaced without the need to buy an entire wheel. Composite wheels are more commonly used on race cars and are designed for both strength & lightness and of course the reasons already stated above. They are also very expensive when comparing them with stock alloy wheels. Cheap aftermarket wheel manufacturers now make a squillion fake look-a-like composites and I would expect most of them to be pretty ordinary at best. :)

infinity5
04-10-2005, 11:26 PM
ooo thanks for the information. i'm alittle embrassed, but i honestly have always wondered why the hell people had little bolts all the way around the rims for... guess i know now.

pmlmotorsports
04-11-2005, 12:01 AM
actually 3 pc wheels came to be because there is a particular race that was held in England in which the race team MUST use the "wheels" they qualified with. So the race teams contacted their wheel manufacturers and asked them to come up with a modular wheel should an accident, or road hazzard cause structual damage to a wheel during qualifying. That way the race team wouldn't be disqualified for the big race. I am not sure which race, but I was told this by the owner of ROH wheels, and given his 45 years in the wheel industry, I would tend to believe him. Earlier Winfred commented that modular wheels are cheaper. That is incorrect. They are more expensive due to the extensive machining required for a precise fit. They do however offer a more diverse level of fitments for extreme fitments without the cost of multiple cast molds which are very expensive to create. Another characteristic of modular wheels is the outters are formed from spun aluminum which is ultra lightweight, but prone to bend very easily. Hope this helps

winfred
04-11-2005, 07:37 AM
that was my angle on cheepness

They do however offer a more diverse level of fitments for extreme fitments without the cost of multiple cast molds which are very expensive to create.

TheDuke
04-11-2005, 04:47 PM
Does Racing Hart 18-inch C4 fit 5 series?