PDA

View Full Version : Runs but won't idle

bjl4776
04-07-2005, 07:15 PM
Thanks to everybody on the board that helped me get my car running, and I know im gonna push my luck with this one but im going to try anyway. Alright, so the car runs, but will not idle at all. It starts to sounds bogged down at about 2k rpms, and i cant get it to run any lower than 1000-1200rpm without it dying out. After i got the car running I changed the oil and filter, I still need to change out plugs, and im gonna change out the injectors tomorow too, but I dont think either of those two are it because it runs normal above 2500rpm. It runs as strong as it should up high, so what gives on the lower end, could bad compression be the culprit, could the rings still not be fully sealed, or is it a possibility that a rebuild is in the future? Thanks for the help in advance, i tried the e36 forums but the are about as helpful as my dogs ass, so I will remain here because i still miss the e34 at heart.

Pics of the New and the Old (http://www.cardomain.com/id/bjl4776)

genphreak
04-07-2005, 09:06 PM
You need to check the compression, and if that is ok then it sounds like you could have, one helluva vacuum leak somehwere (check emissions pips, brake booster, oil cap, dipstick and inlet manifold pipes, gaskets and seals)

Or perhaps a faulty sensor/connector disconnected/rusty/loose, broken wire... perhaps some dirty wretched combination of the above. Is the rotor and cap ok? Perhaps the DME needs to run for a bit. Has it got the correct ECU chip (sometimes people re-program them badly, if you don't know the history its an outside possibility... if it had a turbo or aftermarket gear on it this is worth consideration after al other avenues are exhasuted. Plugging in a new DME/ECU might be the best way to find out... actually if its been monkeyed with it's not impossible that you could find the cam retarded or advanced somehow (I doubt it).

As a start I would listen all over the engine for weird noises and rushing air from vacuum leaks- use a few feet of garden hose (and a funnel against your ear)... if you have a leak you should find it this way, try revving it (to create vacuum in the manifold should you hear an interesting noise somewhere). Has someone opened the engine up before? If really stumped you can try getting the engine to run after one by one, blanking off any major hoses connected to the inlet manifold. Faulty accumulators and brake boosters do happen... ;)

:) GP