PDA

View Full Version : Yikes!- Trans Program Error and Complete loss of power

everest
04-06-2005, 08:58 PM
Alright, I'm a rookie, so bare with me. Today, I was driving home for work. Traffic was a little worse than normal, so after about 20 minutes of stop and go, the road finally opened up. I just installed the EAT chip on monday, so I decided to let er loose. I accelerated to about 70mph and then a little noise and the beep from the OBC- TRANS PROGRAM check owner’s manual comes up. But here is the worst part. I'm just about to cross a bridge with little to barely no shoulder on either side. I'm thinking I'll pull over after the bridge - but wait - there seemed to be a complete loss of power. I got no response from the accelerator. So I'm thinking CRAP, I probably won't make it over the bridge since there is a big incline on the way over it, and the bridge was coming up real fast. I had to pull over into the fast lane and past it. I barely made it. It was the last piece of shoulder before the bridge. To be honest, I came close to crapping myself. Then some bastard honks at me because he had to slow down from 70mph to 60mph, and he was 3 cars behind. Thanks buddy! Anyway, I tried to start my car about 4-5 times and the starter would crank but the engine wouldn't fire up. So I sat there for a few minutes and then tried to start it again and it fired right up.

I’ve searched the board on the TRANS PROGRAM error, but have mostly found people referring to the car going limp and shifting into a lower gear. This was more than limp - this was no power at all! I can do a lot of things myself, but mostly I’ve just replaced headlamps, shifter knob sliding strip, installed EAT chip, etc. – pretty basic stuff. So I’m not sure what I could do myself. It’s a 93 525iA with VANOS, has 94,000 miles on it, and is my daily driver. I am the second owner but have detailed maintenance records on it. The car was maintained obsessively. The records are even in chronological order in the folder. Anyway, I looked at the battery indicator and it is green – meaning sufficiently charged. The transmission had always been fine and after I put the EAT chip in, it shifted and accelerated even smoother. You think it was the EAT chip? I spoke with Mark D. and he said he’s never heard of the EAT chip causing that sort of problem, but said that doesn’t mean it couldn’t. So, I’m hoping you guys can help.

Should I put the stock chip back in?
Should I bring it to the mechanic and use the bmwe34.net trans program page as a reference?
Should I just keep driving the car and see what happens?
Should I keep an extra roll of TP in the glove box?

I’d appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.

Nzimiro
04-07-2005, 05:20 AM
Alright, I'm a rookie, so bare with me. Today, I was driving home for work. Traffic was a little worse than normal, so after about 20 minutes of stop and go, the road finally opened up. I just installed the EAT chip on monday, so I decided to let er loose. I accelerated to about 70mph and then a little noise and the beep from the OBC- TRANS PROGRAM check owner’s manual comes up. But here is the worst part. I'm just about to cross a bridge with little to barely no shoulder on either side. I'm thinking I'll pull over after the bridge - but wait - there seemed to be a complete loss of power. I got no response from the accelerator. So I'm thinking CRAP, I probably won't make it over the bridge since there is a big incline on the way over it, and the bridge was coming up real fast. I had to pull over into the fast lane and past it. I barely made it. It was the last piece of shoulder before the bridge. To be honest, I came close to crapping myself. Then some bastard honks at me because he had to slow down from 70mph to 60mph, and he was 3 cars behind. Thanks buddy! Anyway, I tried to start my car about 4-5 times and the starter would crank but the engine wouldn't fire up. So I sat there for a few minutes and then tried to start it again and it fired right up.

I’ve searched the board on the TRANS PROGRAM error, but have mostly found people referring to the car going limp and shifting into a lower gear. This was more than limp - this was no power at all! I can do a lot of things myself, but mostly I’ve just replaced headlamps, shifter knob sliding strip, installed EAT chip, etc. – pretty basic stuff. So I’m not sure what I could do myself. It’s a 93 525iA with VANOS, has 94,000 miles on it, and is my daily driver. I am the second owner but have detailed maintenance records on it. The car was maintained obsessively. The records are even in chronological order in the folder. Anyway, I looked at the battery indicator and it is green – meaning sufficiently charged. The transmission had always been fine and after I put the EAT chip in, it shifted and accelerated even smoother. You think it was the EAT chip? I spoke with Mark D. and he said he’s never heard of the EAT chip causing that sort of problem, but said that doesn’t mean it couldn’t. So, I’m hoping you guys can help.

Should I put the stock chip back in?
Should I bring it to the mechanic and use the bmwe34.net trans program page as a reference?
Should I just keep driving the car and see what happens?
Should I keep an extra roll of TP in the glove box?

I’d appreciate any input. Thanks in advance.

Your car has indeed gone into limp mode to protect itself from further damage. From my personal experience, the following triggered the "Trans Program"

1. Water somehow got into the Auto-transmission control module - dried it in air overnight, fixed it back and the alarm was cleared.

2. Low auto-transmission fluid - flushed the autobox with a fresh charge of recommended transmission fluid and that cleared the alarm.

3. Faulty Mass Air Flow (MAF) Sensor - replaced it 2 days ago. The V8 M60 (Nikasil enhanced) engine is now purring like a cat and as strong as 282 horses!

4. Loose or disconnected electrical cables/wires. I noticed the "trans Program" alarm (ignition switched on without starting the car) when any of the following happened:
* the 2-speed fan switch disconnected,
* fan switch relay removed
* replacing spark plugs with plastic intake manifold covers removed.

I believe there will be many other trigggers for the trans-program. My car just goes into limp mode each time it feels threatend.

I hope my personal experiences will help you resolve your current problems.

everest
04-07-2005, 10:23 AM
Nzimiro, thank you very much for your reply. I think I'm going to remove the EAT chip and put my stock chip back in and see if the trans program error comes back within the next 500 miles. If it does, then I'll definitely come back to your post. If anything, hopefully your post will help someone else.