PDA

View Full Version : Engine is running even after ignition is off

nsbone_1988_520i
04-05-2005, 11:09 PM
Hi,
I have weird problem, my 730 M30 engine is still running even after ignition switch is off.

If engine is off, and with ignition off, the indicators: oil, ABS, are lit. But the temp, fuel meter are off.

THe engine shut off by itself after about 20 min, but i don't dare to crank the starter motor again.

Any relay, or possible short circuit that i should look out for?

thanks in advanc,e

rahman

shogun
04-05-2005, 11:21 PM
Maybe the white DME relay stuck?
http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/johan/e_box/fuse_box.html

nsbone_1988_520i
04-05-2005, 11:58 PM
Maybe the white DME relay stuck?
http://shrubbery.student.utwente.nl/johan/e_box/fuse_box.html

Hi Shogun,
Arigato... i'll check that out. I guess this is just a normal relay, which can be sourced from aftermarket?

I did take out the relay, but problem persisted??? Is there any other relay near the ignition switch inside the steering column under the dash?

rahman

shogun
04-06-2005, 12:48 AM
The Ignition switch is not mechanical, it consits of a momentary set of electrical contacts. When you turn the ignition switch the contacts come together to turn the starter on, when you take your hands off the ignition key a spring pulls the momentary contacts offline and uses different contacts to keep engine on. What you may want to do is, instead of pulling the main relay, pull the connector for the ignition switch from the main harness. This connector, or connectors,some ignion switches have 2 connectors, is located under the dash below and on the left side of the steering wheel. This will tell you if it is the ignion switch that is causing your problem or not.

nsbone_1988_520i
04-11-2005, 08:15 AM
Hi Shogun,
Seems this is intermittent. Now, it's running fine since then. Will monitor....

thanks again...

shogun
04-11-2005, 08:37 AM
Maybe caused by high humidity?
Did you have a lot of rain recently in KL?

My audio played crazy last summer in Taifun season. I checked it, BMW checked it, Sony checked it, nothing could be found.
Then I followed a good advice from a friend and put the whole equipment - you will not believe it- a night into a refrigerator.
Installed it and it worked. Apparanetly that dried the whole thing. Same like an aircon removes the moisture from the room's air.
Maybe you try some of these sprays which protects against humid air respect. removes it from electric contacts.
Do not know if it would work, but maybe it is wortha try.