PDA

View Full Version : Any Experience with PIAA Xtreme White Plus Bulbs?

Hector
04-05-2005, 06:10 PM
Just wondering if they are as bright as advertised.

Kalevera
04-05-2005, 06:13 PM
I've never used them myself, but I hear that they don't last very long at all. Kind of like the Sylvania USA Silverstars -- not worth the dinero. Try the euro OSRAM silverstars instead - I've seen them for <$20/bulb on eBay.

best, whit

632 Regal
04-05-2005, 06:49 PM
wagner bright lite

Don McAdams
04-05-2005, 07:04 PM
Excellent bulbs. I have them in my E30 M3 (w/ euro ellipsoids), 325 (w/ EE's) & run them in the fogs on the Touring (all H1's). I've had them in all the cars for about 2.5 years w/out any problems. Nice & bright (nothing like HID's of course :) )

My .2 cents

e34it
04-06-2005, 03:44 AM
Yes i had them in my 520 before, they were much brighter than regualr h1 bulbs i had in there, but still not enough light for me i guess, (maybe i should do the hid upgrade)

Hector
04-06-2005, 08:18 AM
I've also heard mix reviews but decided to give them a try. Ordered a pair yesterday. First I want to see how bright they are. If I'm satisfied, then I'll buy another set for the fog/highbeams.

Ted K
04-06-2005, 09:23 AM
Did you go with Piaa or the Wagner?

BigKriss
04-06-2005, 09:34 AM
Try the euro OSRAM silverstars instead - I've seen them for <$20/bulb on eBay.

i use these these on my car the +50's. I think they are slighly brighter than stock, not much though.. Examining the front of the headlights, mine has scratches and chips on the surface - not cool.

Hector
04-06-2005, 09:46 AM
I had already ordered the PIAA before I started this thread. Will give them a try. I bought them much cheaper than BavAuto but still a bit expensive. If these don't pan out, then I'll give Jeff's suggestion a try. Kragen and Autozone are distributors of BriteLite.

pmulry
04-06-2005, 11:37 AM
I'm using the Silverstars and I've been very happy with them. They are markedly brighter than factorys, give a much whiter light, and yet don't have any of blueish hue when you look at the lights from head-on.

In fact, I've been so happy with them that I just upgraded my fogs from halogen H1's to Silverstars. They weren't any more expensive than the others, I paid $20/bulb for each of the headlight and fog bulbs. Cheers.

Mobius
04-06-2005, 04:30 PM
I'm using the Silverstars and I've been very happy with them. They are markedly brighter than factorys, give a much whiter light, and yet don't have any of blueish hue when you look at the lights from head-on.US Silverstars or Osram? If they're the US ones; I'd keep a couple spare bulbs in the glovebox, because they'll burn out in a month or two. They have a rated life less than 10% that of a normal halogen bulb.

632 Regal
04-06-2005, 04:35 PM
US Silverstars or Osram? If they're the US ones; I'd keep a couple spare bulbs in the glovebox, because they'll burn out in a month or two. They have a rated life less than 10% that of a normal halogen bulb..

everest
04-06-2005, 04:39 PM
Are the Wagners as bright as Silverstars?

Hector
04-06-2005, 04:52 PM
and at the bottom of the page gives you a cartoon of the added illumination angle you get with these bulbs.

Are the Wagners as bright as Silverstars?

pmulry
04-06-2005, 04:52 PM
US Silverstars or Osram? If they're the US ones; I'd keep a couple spare bulbs in the glovebox, because they'll burn out in a month or two. They have a rated life less than 10% that of a normal halogen bulb.

Honestly, I don't remember. I did a lot of research before getting them, but I don't remember anymore. But they've been in the car and running fine for about 15 months now without burnout. So maybe they are the Osram's.

Hector
04-06-2005, 04:57 PM
Got my head in too many places right now.

Actually, this site doesn't show you a comparison to what you had asked. Maybe someone more knowledgeable might have an answer.

http://www.federal-mogul.com/cda/content/front/0,2194,2442_9284_7602,00.html

and at the bottom of the page gives you a cartoon of the added illumination angle you get with these bulbs.

shragon
04-07-2005, 11:39 AM
any blue coated halogen bulb doesn't last as long due to the coating.

and, imho, piaa is overpriced.

Black 535i
04-07-2005, 12:22 PM
Somehow they made their 65/45w=110/85w by a miracle of science. If this is the case, then send them $30.00 for a pair of bulbs and tell them it is equal to $80.00. I had their bulbs years ago and did not notice much of an improvement but a lot lighter wallet. I will be getting a complete set of new headlights this summer with the ellipsoid lamps. This will give me much better lighting without all the hassle of dealing with wacky bulbs and the such.

Honestly, I don't remember. I did a lot of research before getting them, but I don't remember anymore. But they've been in the car and running fine for about 15 months now without burnout. So maybe they are the Osram's.