PDA

View Full Version : Hot Engine Stalling Problem

proseriesracing
04-02-2005, 02:15 PM
Hello I have a 1992 525I M50 engine. The problem I am having is the engine cuts out under load, more so starting out from a stop. The problem is more so when hot. If I keep my foot in the same position as the car cuts out it will totally die and then I need to restart if I release the throttle it will catch up and idle. When I come to a complete stop a little hard the car dies. The battery and alternator are new as of Oct.2004 by dealer The spark plugs are new this week. If the car is in park and rev the car up it seems smooth there is a small miss and then if I hold the brake and car in gear, rev the engine the car will cut out, mainly when hot and above 1300 rpm's.
One other problem is the dash display will show TRAILER LIGHT in the display after the car has sat a few days it is a battery and sensor problem after a short drive and restart the car it is fine any clues. I have a Bentley manual on order so if anybody can e-mail me the pages I would need to make the repairs would greatly be appreciated. I have broadband so do not worry about file size.
Thanks

I replaced the Mass Air flow sensor and the throttle position sensor and still no luck the car acts the same when hot. After I rev'd the car up in gear and killed the engine I decided to check the codes even though the light was not on and I got a 1215 Mass air sensor. My thermostat gauge in the car has been reading at the 10 o'clock position instead of the 12 o'clock position like it normally does. What sensor is it that I would replace looks to be two sensors. So can the thermostat sensor be causing other engine malfunction. A great parts diagram and part # site is www.realoem.com/bmw Thanks in advance
Can any one else confirm that they are able to disconnect the MAF and the car stays running fine and let me know because when I do that the car dies. If I disconnect when engine is off and try to start it will not. Any suggestions I'm thinking thermostat sensor but I understand there is two which one is more correct or what would the testing procedure be for these sensors.
Thanks in advance

632 Regal
04-03-2005, 08:29 PM
For the stalling issue I would first replace the fuel filter(s), next go to see if your getting good fuel flow and or pressure. Really sounds like fuel but with the temp guage issue and trailer light there might be more going on than meets the eye...or it could be something simple and stupid.

Good Luck!