PDA

View Full Version : Car body harness/position light on E34 - Depo Angel Eye

everest
03-15-2005, 10:57 PM
OK, I finally got the front grill off and installed Depo angel eye lights that I bought on eBay.

http://i139.exs.cx/img139/4573/pict00059gh.jpg

But I can't figure out how to hook up the wiring harness that was included in the kit. The instructions say to plug it into the "position light of car body harness" What is that?

Is it this? The plug with a protective end cap on it, located right under the RH hood arm?

http://img174.exs.cx/img174/6351/pict00033ia.jpg

Or is it the plug located right in front of the washer fluid reservoir?

http://img174.exs.cx/img174/4772/pict00044bz.jpg

I've tried both and can't get either to work. What am I doing wrong? Anyone know? Am I not attaching the harness correctly to a power source. I can't wire the harness to the battery (under rear seat - too far), so I am assuming that the spot where I would hook the car up for a jump start is where I should attach the wiring harness for power. Is this the right spot?

http://img188.exs.cx/img188/5816/pict00078hx.jpg

crashnburn80
03-16-2005, 12:08 AM
The instructions say to plug it into the "position light of car body harness" What is that?

so I am assuming that the spot where I would hook the car up for a jump start is where I should attach the wiring harness for power. Is this the right spot?

Looking at the last pic in your post, you have the lights hooked up to the correct power source (the remote battery post) connected to the fuse.

The position light as I remember needs to be tapped into you parking lights or headlights, depending on when you want you angel eyes to come on. This is not plug and play, it does not plug into anything. You will need to splice the wires to your headlights or parkinglights and add the wires from the angel eye wiring harness so it can draw some power to activate the relay in the harness.

BTW - where did you get the yellow connectors to plug into the back of your depo headlights? I looked forever and couldn't find them.

It wouldn't be a bad idea for someone to document and archive this Depo light install procedure, because it seems these questions come up alot.

digitaldragon03
03-16-2005, 12:19 AM
hmm, i was thinking of purchasing these.

crashnburn80
03-16-2005, 02:11 AM
hmm, i was thinking of purchasing these.

Definitly a good product for a good price.

Mobius
03-16-2005, 02:39 AM
BTW - where did you get the yellow connectors to plug into the back of your depo headlights? I looked forever and couldn't find them.They are part number 61 13 1 378 419 - wires that fit them are 61 13 0 007 445.

Everything should be mostly identical to the european light wiring. See http://e30m3therealm3.com/e34/

Paul in NZ
03-16-2005, 02:56 AM
i think don macadam has a complete write up

willobmw
03-16-2005, 06:22 AM
Yes you can get all the connectors at the BMW dealer. The parts are getting very expensive. I spent over 75.00 with club discount just for the wires to convert my 535i to Euros. BMA is no help. Installation finally this weekend.
Willo

everest
03-16-2005, 09:13 AM
I got the yellow connectors from www.makotoautotrends.com (http://www.makotoautotrends.com/store-detail.asp?sku=M%2DBM8934%2D10372PJ1&maker=&dbname=onlinestoreDB). However, they did not send me the yellow connectors with my original ebay order. I had to call and email them 4 times total before they sent them to me. But, they were supposed to be part of my original order, so they didn't cost me extra. I got a sweet deal on eBay and paid $250 total with shipping. Now they are selling them for $299 plus shipping!!

crashnburn80
03-16-2005, 09:38 AM
I got a sweet deal on eBay and paid $250 total with shipping. Now they are selling them for $299 plus shipping!!

Wuhahaha! I got mine sevral months ago from makotoautotrends on ebay for $199 shipped ;)

everest
03-16-2005, 09:42 AM
That's hilarious!!! I guess they've been raising the price on them.

bahnstormer
03-16-2005, 11:04 AM
nope it went down at first,
i was one of the first to buy em
and they were around 300
then they dropped now they're
cranking the prices back up =\

Mobius
03-16-2005, 04:00 PM
Yes you can get all the connectors at the BMW dealer. The parts are getting very expensive. I spent over 75.00 with club discount just for the wires to convert my 535i to Euros. BMA is no help. Installation finally this weekend.BMA is no help? Are you kidding me? I'm doing the same; I called them up last week and went through the whole thing. I'm waiting here with a hot soldering iron for the damn parts to arrive.

How did you reach $75?

6 plugs at $.75ea (high low and city)
2 city holders at $8ea
12 wire leads at $3ea
ends up at something like $56. It's the stupid terminated wire leads that eat you.

Even if BMA wouldn't 'help' - all the part numbers are here http://e30m3therealm3.com/e34/

I'm just surprised to hear anything negative about BMA. They're ****ing awesome in my book. They've always gone out of their way to help me out - even when it was looking for the right $.75 plug...

everest
03-16-2005, 07:00 PM
Are the bulbs for the angel eyes already installed in the Depo's?

kngpen
03-17-2005, 12:58 AM
Are the bulbs for the angel eyes already installed in the Depo's?
Yes

On a different note..

I have the DEPOs installed on my car and have yet to get the Angel Eyes working. I talked with a few others who installed them properly and they explained that all you need to do is wire them to the parking lights. Those other connectors arent really needed so :x.

rockyfeller
03-17-2005, 02:17 AM
First off let me say you are lucky to have those yellow connectors; Hook me up with a set if you can find out where to get em....Searched around a bit to find them myself but without success. OK Here's what I did with my Depo lights. Think very easy.....You're thinking way too complex here. No need to wire directly to the battery lead, this ain't no HID kit.....all you do is cut off your old 9005/9006 female harnesses and use wire taps/splices (keep in mind negative/positive) to splice them to your yellow H1 harnesses. Keep in mind which ones are for your high and low beams. Test along the way. Can't remember what colors are for which polarity but remember a general rule is that brown or anything striped with brown on our E34s is usually a ground wire. For your angel eyes, disregard all that nonsense wiring/fuses etc. UNECESSARY!...Yes the bulbs are already built in to the angel eyes. No they are not LEDs but they are still low draw. There are 4 bulbs per angel eye. They are grouped together to form one set of wires per headlight. Just tap 2 of the right side (high beam/low beam) angel eye wires together into your right side parking light and 2 of the left side angel eyes into your left parking light. Test the lights along each step and everything should work just fine. I went the extra mile and wired in 8000k HIDs and it looks awesome. Make sure your install is clean, utilize the supplied loom and seal with electrical tape. Lastly I'll say 3 months after install I developed a small crack on 1 lens. I don't know if it was from a rock (Dirty winter roads here, sandblasting season) or some kind of temperature effect but I drive real careful and never thought it would happen to me but it did. I just bought ellipsoid fogs after cracking one of those. Enough was enough so I sealed the crack and also bought acrylic headlight protectors (The stick-on type not the type that protrude) from BavAuto for $50. I bought them during a special sale last month....dunno if they still are on sale but that's a great deal...an 8 piece set!! I bought them in a smoke color (The smoke is so perfectly light and hardly noticable) They protect all 4 headlights, turnsignals AND foglights and I HIGHLY recommend to them to everyone on the board regardless of headlight type, but ESPECIALLY on these Depos. I'm not the only one saying the lenses crack easy so watch out, don't say I didn't warn ya. Otherwise they're great for the price. BTW I bought em for $179 plus bout $12 six months ago......Lucked out! Only bought em because of that daym deer!

everest
03-17-2005, 09:17 AM
Thanks Rockyfeller, this is some great information. I have been eyeing those headlight shields on bav auto for quite some time. Two of my stock lenses had cracks in them so I figured I might want to get the shields for my new Depos, but I was putting it off. Not anymore - just bought them. I'm going to tap my parking lights this weekend for the angel eyes and will write back on this post on whether I got it to work.