PDA

View Full Version : M60 stall--spoke too soon. Not fixed.

Phil in Vancouver
02-18-2004, 07:09 PM
Ok, so I was being optimistic. On the first test run after replacing the camshaft position sensor, the stall at idle and very low speed was gone. On the second run a couple of hours later, the stall was back.

Now, I know that I may be looking at replacing the intake manifold gaskets, but on the off chance that there may be a simpler fix--any chance it could be the CRANKSHAFT position sensor? The car starts and runs fine, just stalls at idle and low speed. I've got a multimeter, but how exactly do I test the crank pos. sensor with it to see if the sensor is working within spec?

There's no leak in the AFM boot-I checked it carefully.

Also, I'm getting code 1212--O2 sensor 2. Would this cause the stalling?

Thanks for your help everyone--I'm struggling here.

Phil
1994 530i man. M60

Messerschmitt
02-18-2004, 08:08 PM
I also have a 1994 530i and have already replaced the intake manifold gaskets. I would say that they are due on your car. Since I have not yet replaced either the camshaft or crankshaft sensors I wouldn't think that they would be the cause. However my 97 Jetta had a similar issue that was fixed with a new camshaft postion sensor!

Search the archive using "Redifer" and find my post with a procedure and part numbers. You should replace several other gaskets while your in there as well as Fuel injector O-rings and a few other items. The procedure outlines all of it.

Replacement of these items was well worth the effort, and cost a lot less than you might think! I now have much better Idle and accelleration!!

Let me know if you need more info...

Tom

Terry B
02-18-2004, 08:27 PM
Ok, so I was being optimistic. On the first test run after replacing the camshaft position sensor, the stall at idle and very low speed was gone. On the second run a couple of hours later, the stall was back.

Now, I know that I may be looking at replacing the intake manifold gaskets, but on the off chance that there may be a simpler fix--any chance it could be the CRANKSHAFT position sensor? The car starts and runs fine, just stalls at idle and low speed. I've got a multimeter, but how exactly do I test the crank pos. sensor with it to see if the sensor is working within spec?

There's no leak in the AFM boot-I checked it carefully.

Also, I'm getting code 1212--O2 sensor 2. Would this cause the stalling?

Thanks for your help everyone--I'm struggling here.

Phil
1994 530i man. M60
How many miles are on your car? O2's should last close to 100k miles (not always). If that is the only fault code - you could disconnect the battery for about 1 hour - then try driving again. If the stall is still there, read the code. If the O2 shows up again, then I would do those first. $80-$100 each (do both). Easy to get to and DIY.

Terry
94 530ia
95 M540i

happifella
02-18-2004, 09:52 PM
Phil,

I agree on the intake gaskets. I did go back and check and I did replace the crankshaft speed sensor. Sorry about giving you the incorrect part #. The Crankshaft and Camshaft speed sensors look almost exactly the same and when I looked the part up in the ETK while at work I thought I had the correct part # for you. I purchased the Crankshaft Speed Sensor from Nick Alexander Imports on 8/01 for 69.12. That was with my CCA Discount.

I will give you the details of the situation I had with my 530iT over a year ago. Issues:
1. Car was running very, very rough.
2. It would die intermittently, especially when turning a corner or coming to a stop or at idle.
3. Had a loud "whistling" like sound coming from under the hood.
4. Hard to start sometimes. Would crank and crank and never start.
5. Getting error 1211 and 1212 (oxygen sensor 1 and 2 errors).

Things I did to try and fix the issues:
1. Replace fuel pump. Local BMW mechanic said that was probably the issue with the hard starting. Replacing pump fixed nothing.
2. Replaced oxygen sensors. This made the oxygen sensor errors go away briefly but they then came back (less than a day later).
3. Per Brett Anderson (Koala Motorsports) I replaced all intake gaskets and the PVC valve. The whistling was a bad PVC Valve on the back of the intake manifold. Replacing that and the gaskets fixed my whistling and rough running issue. No more problems there.
But after all of this the car was still dying at stop lights, turning corners, etc. That is when I got the Peake Code Reader and found out it was the CRANKSHAFT Sensor (12 14 1 731 887). Replacing this did away with the final problem.

So as you can see, my issue was not so cut and dried. The Oxygen sensor error codes were being generated by the leaking manifold gaskets. It was throwing the Air/Fuel mixture settings off and causing the computer to give the Oxygen sensor error codes. Brett Anderson indicated the intake manifold gaskets are a very common item to go bad on the M60 engines. They have already been replaced on my '97 740i M62 engine under warranty.

I have attached a Word file of the instructions I got from Brett Anderson on how to do the manifold gaskets properly.

Hope this helps out.

Jeff